Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com > Suggestion Zone

Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
princessjessie
Distinguished Member

Question videos on getDare

i think it would be a good idea to have a video section aswell as a picture section on getdare, i think this would be good because people would be able to prove dares and also people will be able to see how you speak

princessjessie is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to princessjessie for this post:
Old 03-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
dmoney
getDare Devil

By Joe, I think she's on to som'tin' captain. Chip-chip-cheerio, and all that sort of rubbish!

But naw, really dawg, she's on ta somethin' good right cheer, ya dig?

However, the astute observants will find this rather clever of her, and applaud her for her efforts to lead the crusade. Bravo!

Last edited by dmoney; 03-31-2011 at 01:28 PM.
dmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
lilysmaster
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via AIM to lilysmaster Send a message via MSN to lilysmaster Send a message via Yahoo to lilysmaster

Although a good idea, it would be another thing that would have to moderated, not to mention the amount of server resources that would need. An average video is around 5-15mb(probably more) so that's ~100 videos per gb of space. at 10 videos a day gD would go through a gig of storage every 10 days. Not to mention the bandwidth of uploading it and people watching it. Although plausible not really a needed feature.

However maybe a forum section to post videos linked from Youtube or another video hosting site.

Are you a story writer? Do you need someone to edit your stories?
gD Editing Services Thread or PM me.
lilysmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
dmoney
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilysmaster View Post
Although a good idea, it would be another thing that would have to moderated, not to mention the amount of server resources that would need. An average video is around 5-15mb(probably more) so that's ~100 videos per gb of space. at 10 videos a day gD would go through a gig of storage every 10 days. Not to mention the bandwidth of uploading it and people watching it. Although plausible not really a needed feature.

However maybe a forum section to post videos linked from Youtube or another video hosting site.
Thank you... you're not the worst mod EVER. You do make valid points. Videos are bandwidth hogs. If the site is charged for bandwidth, it could end up being costly. If a special sub-forum was created so users could EMBED videos from sites more prone to handling this kind of load, it would be great. I think that would be the best route to go. What do you think?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
lilysmaster
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via AIM to lilysmaster Send a message via MSN to lilysmaster Send a message via Yahoo to lilysmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney View Post
Thank you... you're not the worst mod EVER. You do make valid points. Videos are bandwidth hogs. If the site is charged for bandwidth, it could end up being costly. If a special sub-forum was created so users could EMBED videos from sites more prone to handling this kind of load, it would be great. I think that would be the best route to go. What do you think?
That is exactly what I was thinking because on top of getDare not having to support the bandwidth for them, they would already be moderated. Seeing as no nudity is allowed on most of those sites.

P.S. I am not a mod, although some times I wish I were... it was a joke from chat one day.

Are you a story writer? Do you need someone to edit your stories?
gD Editing Services Thread or PM me.
lilysmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
DancingBear
Sister Sparrow

I agree that this would require too much memory and bandwidth and other computery technical stuffs.
DancingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
bee9
getDare Succubus

I own a rather larger BDSM site with a feature for users to upload the videos, the feature was just recently added, so it's beta. The bandwidth isn't a big problem, same with space (within reasonal limits of course).
bee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

This will cause more trouble than it's worth, mostly because the site is 13+ and not 18+.
Either way, I'm moving this to the Suggestion Zone.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
dmoney
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop View Post
This will cause more trouble than it's worth, mostly because the site is 13+ and not 18+.
Either way, I'm moving this to the Suggestion Zone.
If it's a huge deal to not be able to reply upon the uploading site to filter out the sub-18 content, why not try adding this functionality to kink-talk so you don't have to worry about much moderation at all?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Rachie
I am the cutest butterfly ever

http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthrea...ht=video+forum

depp is already aware of this - see a similar thread listed above, that was started last July (2010) depp has even posted reason and his views

Love Rachie
x x x x

BED HABITS

LOLA.FOX WISHES SHE WAS MY FAVORITE USER <3
Rachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
dmoney
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavedrachel View Post
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthrea...ht=video+forum

depp is already aware of this - see a similar thread listed above, that was started last July (2010) depp has even posted reason and his views

Love Rachie
x x x x
Thanx, Rach... all the posters there had similar thoughts as to what we had here. The implementation still seems to be up in the air after a year. I'm guessing there were some back room conversations in PM amongst the mods and it got shot down. I'm more for the EMBED option myself, allowing people to EMBED YouTube or other "cloud based" services to have their HTML codes entered so the video pops up in their posts, or whereever. It wouldn't be too hard to implement, and lot's of people always do this kind of thing with their forums. For example, I think the code exists to do it here...

HTML Code:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-6cV_a_18AI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Obviously, the forum is NOT set up to process the HTML, but probably could be.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
princessjessie
Distinguished Member

i understand that someone would have to moderate it and i know that it would take alot of working out but i still think its a good idea. it would be possibe to make a getDare youtube accout that you have to be 18 to go on, but this has the involvement of another site and i dont know how well that meeting would go lol. anyway just another idea

princessjessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
dmoney
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessjessie View Post
i understand that someone would have to moderate it and i know that it would take alot of working out but i still think its a good idea. it would be possibe to make a getDare youtube accout that you have to be 18 to go on, but this has the involvement of another site and i dont know how well that meeting would go lol. anyway just another idea
Even if gD posted up a YouTube site, gD admins would be the only ones knowing the password to do the uploads. There would still be an intermediate step of moving the uploads of members from some other place into the gD YouTube channel.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Aivey
getDare Sweetheart

I think this is a bad idea as the mods have an already big enough problem managing stupid people who dont read the rules. (Or post in the wrong section, or post repeats/shit threads that spam up the forum, and people who dont do any research before posting and end up creating threads that already exist, +cough+ princessjessie +cough+). For mods to moderate properly, they will have to watch the whole video (instead of just viewing a single picture for a couple of seconds), and the workload involved is simply unreasonable, especally if you consider the user to mod ratio which up to thousands.

My Fetlife
Ask Me Anything

Last edited by Aivey; 04-08-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Aivey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dare, getdare, section, video