Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Bleona's Life

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen bitch.
Rate this Entry

Sadness

Posted 10-08-2016 at 10:30 PM by bleonav06

Why does it feel like the sadness is always stronger than the happiness? The last thing I wanna happen is havin to feel like this. In the end everything is temporary, fear not those that are scary.

In other news i got some cans of minute maid lemonade and it was a fantastic addition to my mouth
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 614 Comments 5
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I would have to say it is because happiness makes us live in the moment, we don't think about the future really when we are happy. Sadness though, all we can see is a future of pain and that intensifies the sadness.
  2. Old Comment
    Biochemically, your observation is correct. The feeling of happiness is due to the production of neuromediators like Dopamine, Serotonin, Oxytocin and a host of morphine-like substances called endorphines. These substances are short-lived. When they are secreted, your brain experiences happiness. When they are metabolized, the feeling of happiness drains away.

One could say our brains are intrinsically wired for sadness, because if you take away these compounds from your brain, you go in to a deep depression.

The brain always has some base levels of these substances. In some, the brain cells are more sensitive to these substances, and in some people, less sensitive.

Alcohol, nicotine, caffeine and some other recreational drugs can, over time, reduce the production of these neuromediators, and/or reduce the sensitivity of the brain to them.

The real question is - how do we become happy and stay happy? The brain secretes these neurochemicals to reward itself. One of the biggest triggers for the release of the "happiness chemicals" is achievement of goals. This is how evolution has wired us to continue to strive to achieve goals. This is why some people are addicted to dares (and the adrenaline rush has to do with it too.) Sex releases endorphines, and love releases oxytocin (the most addictive happiness of all).

No one can stay in a perpetual state of happiness. The base state of our brain is not happiness. So happiness is something we need to work at getting.
  3. Old Comment
    ^ That explanation was sexy. And also pretty much what I'd say.
    Psychologists suggest setting small, short-term goals for yourself and associating them with rewards (breaks, treats, doing something you've been wanting to do recently) to release short bursts of "happy chemicals" via the reward center of the brain. Engaging in activities that leave you in stasis (watching tv, playing video games, browsing the net, etc.) has a negative impact on that part of the brain and are a surefire way to fall into depression. Also, working on a goal whose reward is too far out of sight (e.g. a degree, promotion, etc.) can put you in a state of helplessness if you do not fill your life with short-term successes to stimulate your reward center in the meantime (and can cause depression as well).

Basically, like Runesmith said, we are wired for depression. Being happy and content takes real work.

*As a point of interest, our brains are also wired for laziness so avoiding the lure of just vegetating in front of a screen takes work as well, which can be extremely difficult if you have a predisposition to depression. Humans' biology basically sets us up to fail.
    Updated 10-09-2016 at 03:53 AM by iSpuds
  4. Old Comment
    Well,... I partly agree, partly disagree with Runesmith.

I myself are generally a happy person. I tend to forget bad experiences and remind the good ones. I would say my basic attitude is happy so there I disagree.

I strongly agree that setting goals makes happy.
    In my experience big sadness can be caused by getting the feeling "nothing can be changed".
    In all my nerves I am convinced true happiness comes from the believe one has the power to change the future. This believe can easily be lost, it easily may have drowned somewhere. And sure.. some of us have way harder times then others.
    The secret (similar to what runesmith is saying) is to set goals. Not the far stretched unbelievable goals. Just set a small goal that can be achieved in not so long time.
    Even (actually,... especially) when in big misery, achieving such a tiny goal can be soo awarding.. happy-making.
    Achieving it will also give strength, power,... the next goal will be easier.
    And all those little goals together make a big journey.

Climbing a mountain... goes step by step.
    Don't look for the top (you will only be there for a few minutes anyway), enjoy the journey, be happy with each step.
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Runesmith View Comment
    Biochemically, your observation is correct. The feeling of happiness is due to the production of neuromediators like Dopamine, Serotonin, Oxytocin and a host of morphine-like substances called endorphines. These substances are short-lived. When they are secreted, your brain experiences happiness. When they are metabolized, the feeling of happiness drains away.

One could say our brains are intrinsically wired for sadness, because if you take away these compounds from your brain, you go in to a deep depression.

The brain always has some base levels of these substances. In some, the brain cells are more sensitive to these substances, and in some people, less sensitive.

Alcohol, nicotine, caffeine and some other recreational drugs can, over time, reduce the production of these neuromediators, and/or reduce the sensitivity of the brain to them.

The real question is - how do we become happy and stay happy? The brain secretes these neurochemicals to reward itself. One of the biggest triggers for the release of the "happiness chemicals" is achievement of goals. This is how evolution has wired us to continue to strive to achieve goals. This is why some people are addicted to dares (and the adrenaline rush has to do with it too.) Sex releases endorphines, and love releases oxytocin (the most addictive happiness of all).

No one can stay in a perpetual state of happiness. The base state of our brain is not happiness. So happiness is something we need to work at getting.
    I think the key to happiness is to love yourself. If you can look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of yourself every day then I think that is happiness. Also if you can look across the bed and see the perfect person then that can be happiness as well.

I understand neurotransmitters by the way I just feel like everything in nature has balance except for emotions.