Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Sarge90

Rate this Entry

Are we sitting uncomfortably? Good, then I'll begin...

Posted 01-05-2014 at 07:10 PM by Sarge90

Good evening, readers.

I felt compelled to write tonight (and possibly rant) about the current state of affairs in the stories section, and how the fiction seems to follow a very similar trend.

I would first like to clarify that I have read but a small cross section of the stories, and I'm aware that many I have not read may vary significantly from those I'm about to criticise. I therefore apologise to anybody who has written a story and feels that my opinion is completely unjustifiable, I assure you this is not about you.

Now, onto the good stuff. What am I complaining about? And what gives me the right to critique others when I have yet to finish my first story and haven't updated my latest one since Christmas? Well, as for the latter, I'd say both as an avid reader and budding author, I have the right to be a little choosy, and frankly as a member of this site I feel I have a duty to ensure its prolonged lifespan, which stale repeats and overdone homages to the fifty shades series will certainly hinder considerably.

And the issue I am raising is a simple one. Originality is an element, and variety, grammar, spelling, plotholes, they all add up to the crimes against literature, however the main issue I have with the stories on here is Blackmail.

I mean, honestly, can somebody please explain why every story I have ever read on here comes down to that single overused tired out storyline? I get it, sometimes in stories you want to have somebody do something outrageous, whether it be to live out your own fantasy or simply because in a fictional world the rules restricting you would no longer apply. And I also am aware that there is a big audience here who like that idea of being forced to do something, or of forcing others to do something, and blackmail is the ultimate tool to control somebody.

But is it so hard to believe, on a website where people share their deepest, darkest, dirtiest fantasies, where the taboo is considered par for the course, and where people show more of their bodies and minds to strangers on a daily basis than they do their friends in person, given that this is our setting, is it really so inconceivable that a person in the situations described in the fictional stories, would actually do something simply because they enjoy it?

I had more, but I feel that last paragraph pretty much summarises absolutely everything I wanted to say, so I'll leave it there, but I would love to hear the opinions of others, those who feel there aren't enough stories involving blackmail, those who agree it's used far too easily and freely and other writers who either have found or are looking for a way to avoid it.

P.S. I know I broke a major grammatical rule using a 'but' not only at the start of a sentence, but the start of a whole paragraph, I apologise for my hypocrisy, but I won't change so I'm afraid you'll have to live with my awareness of my failings as consolation.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1280 Comments 1
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Butts are pretty. They are fun to bite, and can even be used at the start of a paragraph, if done so in the right context.