Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
Star Shadows
Prodigy

Trophy Photography Competition

21st July
I do declare the newest photography competition OPEN!

Exciting news, get your camera at the ready, as the latest photography competition is open for you to enjoy, this is your 10 day countdown to the first title. The competition will be run on a series of points that will tally up to give a weekly total, and weekly winner, and an overall winner of the competition by collecting the overall results. Because of this it means that you can enter whenever you want (thats right you can still enter now if you want using this link) and take part in whichever weeks you pick and chose to do so.

I will post a title every two weeks that is a lose guide as to what your photograph should be about. From this you can take any photography you like- within the rules and the title. See last years thread for past examples of this [contest starts halfway down page three]. This gives you a lot of freedom for imaginations to flourish.

The winners
weekly: Each week there will be one winner and two runners up who will get points that go into the final tally for the ultimate prize.
The winning photograph for each week will go into the competition blog (here) and album (here) the only reason being that it is in two places is as I had album problems with this last year- I think its fixed but want to be on the safe side.
Overall: The overall winner of the competition will receive a YEARs paid subscription to the website- giving them a number of perks;
Or a 3 month paid membership to deviantart.com if you are/chose to become a member there.
The choice is entirely yours in this matter *
PLEASE PM ME TO CLARIFY WHICH OF THESE OPTIONS YOU WOULD LIKE SHOULD YOU WIN.

Point system
Initial posting of photograph = +4 points.
Explanation as to why you took it = + 2 points
The two runners up per week = +5 points
The winner of each week = +10 points
Bonus points for inventiveness/ originality and other bonus worthy things =+2 points.
Consistent entry: point per week you enter (like a combo) these could build up = +1 point
Any breaking of the rules = -10 points, and moderator intervention if necessary.

All points will go onto a database that can be viewed using this link and I will post a run down of every one's scores at the end of the two week time period for each entry.

Rules:
1. Under NO circumstances will +18 images be considered for this competition. This site is still largely a PG13 community and as such the photographs entered must reflect this. Naked people etc will not be tolerated.
2. All photos must be placed in this thread to be considered.
3. You have 2 weeks to submit your photograph for each title, after this time your entrance wont be counted.
4. While my decision is the final one feel free to comment on how you feel scoring should go... saying you think you should win wont go far though.
5. Photos all should be your own work taken on a camera. Using a search engine to find one kinda defeats the point a little. I reserve the right to check the sourcing of suspicious images.
6. Photo-editing is supported and accepted within the competition.I personally would recommend www.pixlr.com if you do not own an editing software.
7. One entry per fortnight/title. If more than one photograph is entered only the first will be judged, without consideration of the latter.

Breaking of the rules will not be tolerated. If you are seen to be breaking the rules appropriate action will be taken. Points may be docked and in sever cases disqualification may occur, moderators informed, photos will be deleted and accounts banned. This may seem strict but this thread also has to conform to site rules and regulations.

Contest closing
Each contest will end at 10pm (UK/GMT) on the Friday two weeks after it opens. However more detailing of this will be given on the task brief itself. This gives me enough time to judge, and chose a winner for the week, which will be announced on the Saturday. A new title will also be posted on the relevant Saturdays. PM me if you would like to be placed on a mailing list to receive updates when a new title has been announced.

Now all that is left is to tell you that the first title shall be announced on July the 5th in this thread, and remind you again to private message me if you would like to be added to the update mailing list to be informed when a new title is announced.

Good luck and hope to see your entries soon.
xx Star Shadows.

Do not ask me for to be your slave, your mistress, or to give you truths or dares. You're wasting your time.

Informative threads:
Anonymous S/M advice service**PM ME**GET S/M ADVICE**

WORSHIPS RACHIE
Star Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to Star Shadows for this post:
Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Star Shadows
Prodigy

INDEX TO THE COMPETITONS

All the posts for titles are here as reference and quick use- might take me a while to add them in once they are up but bare with me.
Title 1- Dilapidated

Title 2- Flowers in Bloom

Title 3- Ticking Time

Title 4- Triptych

Title 5- By the Light

Do not ask me for to be your slave, your mistress, or to give you truths or dares. You're wasting your time.

Informative threads:

WORSHIPS RACHIE

Last edited by Star Shadows; 08-27-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Hallvard

Looking forward to it
Hallvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
pymani96
getDare Sweetheart

is that 10 pm gb-bst(gmt+1) or just gmt (gpbst-1)?
pymani96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Star Shadows
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pymani96 View Post
is that 10 pm gb-bst(gmt+1) or just gmt (gpbst-1)?
10pm on uk time. Not sure the actual thing for it

Informative threads:

WORSHIPS RACHIE
Old 06-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Sharp Nacelle
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to Sharp Nacelle

At the moment, UK time is GMT+1
Anonymous secrets
My advert
Sharp Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Star Shadows
Prodigy

Welcome to the grand unveiling of the first of a new series of competition titles!
And your title is...
*drum rolll*

Dilapidated.

Just because something is past its best, does not mean to say that it is no longer beautiful or worth photographing. Go out and find a dilapidated building, factory or whatever takes your fancy and make it beautiful again with just the use of your camera.... Just like this old damaged fence and sign. The damage gives these photos charm and interest- exploit this.

Let your imaginations run free here.
Open yourself up to embrace what others have neglected

What I will be looking for
A feel of the dilapidated nature of the location. Do not try and gloss over it to the extent in which it is not noticeable
A strong use of colour and lighting. Understand where it may be better for colour, and where black and white may be more appropriate, and in the same way understand some photos suit stong light while others work better with the minimum possible.
A beautiful photograph with an appropriate use of focus.

To recap!
Point system
Initial posting of photograph = +4 points.
Explanation as to why you took it = + 2 points
The two runners up per week = +5 points
The winner of each week = +10 points
Bonus points for inventiveness/ originality and other bonus worthy things =+2 points.
Consistent entry: point per week you enter (like a combo) these could build up = +1 point
Any breaking of the rules = -10 points, and moderator intervention if necessary.

All points will go onto a database that can be viewed using this link and I will post a run down of every one's scores at the end of the two week time period for each entry.

Rules:
1. Under NO circumstances will +18 images be considered for this competition. This site is still largely a PG13 community and as such the photographs entered must reflect this. Naked people etc will not be tolerated.
2. All photos must be placed in this thread to be considered.
3. You have 2 weeks to submit your photograph for each title, after this time your entrance wont be counted.
4. While my decision is the final one feel free to comment on how you feel scoring should go... saying you think you should win wont go far though.
5. Photos all should be your own work taken on a camera. Using a search engine to find one kinda defeats the point a little. I reserve the right to check the sourcing of suspicious images.
6. Photo-editing is supported and accepted within the competition.I personally would recommend www.pixlr.com if you do not own an editing software.
7. One entry per fortnight/title. If more than one photograph is entered only the first will be judged, without consideration of the latter.

Breaking of the rules will not be tolerated. If you are seen to be breaking the rules appropriate action will be taken. Points may be docked and in sever cases disqualification may occur, moderators informed, photos will be deleted and accounts banned. This may seem strict but this thread also has to conform to site rules and regulations.

So just again for you all... this fortnight’s title is “dilapidated”, you have two weeks to take a photograph relating to this, and post it here (with an explanation for bonus points) This fortnights title will be closed on Friday the 15th July at 10 PM GMT. Beyond this point no further entries will be accepted, even if they are posted on the tread and are super awesome.

good luck and happy snapping
xx Star shadows.

Informative threads:

WORSHIPS RACHIE

Last edited by Star Shadows; 07-04-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
princessjessie
Distinguished Member

awesome title got some ideas going in my little head

princessjessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Star Shadows
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessjessie View Post
awesome title got some ideas going in my little head
Good luck then

ALSO TO ANYONE IN THIS THREAD PLEASE PM ME TO TELL ME WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE SHOULD YOU WIN.
THE DEVIANT ART PRIZE (3MONTH PREMIUM)
OR THE GETDARE ONE (ONE YEAR PAID SUBSCRIPTION)
IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT EITHER OF THESE ENTAIL, OR WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE JUST LET ME KNOW AND YOU CAN DECIDE AT A LATER DATE AND I CAN PM YOU DETAILS OF BOTH.

Informative threads:

WORSHIPS RACHIE
Old 07-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
Ranzid
Account Banned

Ok looks like I'm the first, I'm feeling terrible (some sort of bug) but I went on a little walk and found an old garage I used to plan on as a kid .. we used to jump of it.. why I don't know . .but it was a lot more stable then.

We never knew who owned it , no one opened it so there was much speculation as to what was inside , it may not be some fancy derelict hospital or anything but i think its quite nicely understated , still standing after all these years despite its neglect .. much like me

I messed with some hard light and charcoal filters to give it a bit more .. impact.

chances are I wont win but its good fun trying.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Crusher_63
getDare Sweetheart

A forgotten coal car. Well not really, it wa put on a open air display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coal_Car.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	2398  
Crusher_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
DaVance
Distinguished Member

Bomb Mmmm .. Good Topic

A category in which I have literally well over a thousand photos of dilapidated buildings. So over the weekend I took a little tour of a dilapidated inner city area and came home with almost another hundred photos. I came across building after building in similar or worse shape, including a few interior photos. So many to choose from and it was difficult to choose just one. I could post an album.

I finally chose this one. The only editing was to crop it since the getdare software loses some of the detail. I decided the building size could hint at the size of entire city blocks just like this one building. I thought the bright sunlight, blue sky and growing geen vegetation itself was a good contrast with the drab color and condition of the building. You could reminisce about the old days yet still see there is a bright sunny future. So I left the color and lighting alone.

As a lttle side tidbit, I was reminded this little old municipality once had a quick and brief mention in getDare:

http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=33073

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dilapidated.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2400  

Last edited by DaVance; 07-05-2011 at 08:19 AM.
DaVance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
Ranzid
Account Banned

Crusher_63:

I like it , I like the way people paint those old things to make them look nicer and yet it just makes the flaws stand out more , nice choice.

DaVance:

I think its the white/cream parts of the building that force me to think of it when it was new and full of people , but the broken windows and roof make that image contrast beautifully , also an amazing picture.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
Star Shadows
Prodigy

All of the photographs so far have been amazing. I keep endeavouring to go take my own but am too lazy to actually go out and do it, but I do have these that you could look towards as ideas.

The first I took 5 years ago at a castle I visited, it long before then ran into rubble and skeletons of what it once was, yet it is still charming and draws many people in to view it. The second, is more recent, and is of an abandoned set of steps that lead down to the river bank. They along with the viaduct it was taken from have not been used in a long time and the evidence is visible.

But again stunning images from the three of you that have entered so far. It was more challenging than I thought it would be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0503.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	2402   Click image for larger version

Name:	062.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2403  

Informative threads:

WORSHIPS RACHIE
Old 07-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #15
bigman4274

My entry, is a photo I took last summer, it was out at a friends farm.
Anyhow, I took it as I love the lines of the old dodge trucks, plus it was a beautiful day out and the rusty colour really spoke to me. It's nothin special, just fit the category

http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthrea...033#post446033
bigman4274 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk