Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
davidscotland

Default Account deletion

I read that accounts are not deleted on this, they are simply banned.

Can I ask why? Surely the Data Protection Act means that you must delete data held on people when they request it.

Another thing I noticed that is a problem with you not deleting accounts is that i stumbled onto a account where the user had been banned.

Problem being, the user was banned but her email address remained on display on her signature and i assume due to her being banned, she would be unable to remove it.

Think that is a potential problem right there.

Also deleting accounts would probably improve the experience of other users because they wouldnt have to fish through all the rubbish.

My views.
The following 2 users say Thank You to davidscotland for this post:
Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Sharp Nacelle
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to Sharp Nacelle

Sadly, the Data Protection Act doesn't necessarily apply all over the world. It would be nice if British law was in effect all over the world, but certain short-sighted cultures have chosen to not follow our shining example. More fool them I say.
Anonymous secrets
My advert
Old 11-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
davidscotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Nacelle View Post
Sadly, the Data Protection Act doesn't necessarily apply all over the world. It would be nice if British law was in effect all over the world, but certain short-sighted cultures have chosen to not follow our shining example. More fool them I say.
I thought that might be the case.

My 2 other points still stand though.

I think posting your email address for anyone to see is stupid, but I think banning people and leaving their details up for all to see when the user cannot choose to remove them any longer is down right irresponsible. Especially in the case that I am thinking about, where based on comments on the page, the user appears to have been banned for being underage. She is banned but clearly still contactable because of this site.

People should always have the ability to remove their details from public view.

Banning should result in complete deactivation of their profile.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
dare_luke
getDare Sweetheart

I believe in the USA; especially in the case of COPPA (for under 18s); if requested, a data holder must still delete a user's details if they request it. Can't be certain but I would be surprised if that is not the case. But even if it isn't law, surely it is common courtesy to delete someone's details if they request it as it is not a legal requirement to store the data for 6 years like it is for anything in an industry in the UK these days.

My PM Dares

BDSM Test
Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Manbearpig
getDare Expert

COPPA's definition for a child applies to those under the age of 13, not 18. Since no users are allowed under this age, this is not an issue. As I am sure Depp would tell you, getDare applies with COPPA. This website is based out of the United States. I don't know what is in the Data Protection Act to be perfectly honest nor do I know if it applies to the United States due to the fact that internet law is very tricky to handle, especially across countries. I believe that the rules apply to where the website is registered.

Accounts are not deleted for multiple reasons, the main being is that it provides continuity for the remainder of the website. If a user were to delete their account, all threads they created would disappear. All posts would also disappear so some might create confusion. Occasionally, a user might request that emails be deleted (which will go towards my last point). Occasionally a user forgets to get their email deleted. They are more than welcome to email me as I leave my getDare email on every post.

Towards your last point of some users still having their emails up. This can come for a variety of reasons. Mods don't go through each banned users profile to see what is up there all the time. We don't see everything. First off, as has been stated by myself multiple times as well as others, DON'T USE YOUR REAL EMAIL ADDRESS. THAT IS STUPID. If you do, like I said previously, users are more than welcome to email myself to request to have their email deleted. If another user spots something wrong, they can also report it.

So to recap:

getDare follows all COPPA laws
Users banned can email myself to their email deleted
Users can report email addresses of banned people

Edit: Once again, users can review all of getDare's practices on the Privacy Policy, located on every page and by clicking here

Will not do: Anal, Messy, Public

Kik:Mbpgetdare
Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
sweetsong
getDare Succubus

I don't understand why some people expect gD to be their babysitter... >.>

siggy made by stellz

[03:54:06 PM] jamness: ‹@G.J.› She... kisses and stuff... shes weird.
[03:54:39 PM] G.J.: ‹@jamness› That seems like normal Sweets to me XD
Old 11-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
erick92
Distinguished Member

You could be like a lot of users and create a gD only e-mail. I didn't, but I also don't post my e-mail, so it's a non-issue.

Just my two cents.

23/M/USA
Old 11-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
lilysmaster
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via AIM to lilysmaster Send a message via MSN to lilysmaster Send a message via Yahoo to lilysmaster

Agreeing with MBP COPPA is followed due to no one under the age of 13 being able to register, while many underaged people many just lie. Yes, while it would seem like "a common curtsy" to delete all permanently banned accounts, it allows other, or even the same person, to re-register that account. Which means someone posing as that person causing confusion, or that person being allowed back online. Although, I would imagine that they(gD) also ban by IP which would make my last point less valid. Also, it is very tedious to go back and delete emails and im screen names of every banned account, I tried it on a forum I moderated. It seemed to consume a majority of my time on the site. I found easier to include in my bans, "If you would like personal data removed from your profile please email" and then my email, after the reason. Very commonly bans were for ban dodging and it was less time consuming not having to check for emails and such.

So in short, if you get banned email a mod and get your info removed or use an email solely for gD, or at least one less used.

~Pwn

Are you a story writer? Do you need someone to edit your stories?
gD Editing Services Thread or PM me.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
geewilly

i would like to delete my account but i can't? Is this right? Surely we should be allowed to make a decision to leave, should we wish to?
Old 12-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewilly View Post
i would like to delete my account but i can't? Is this right? Surely we should be allowed to make a decision to leave, should we wish to?
Nothing is stopping you from leaving.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

Old 12-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
Manbearpig
getDare Expert

Yep. There is a thing call self-restraint. It means you don't log in anymore

Will not do: Anal, Messy, Public

Kik:Mbpgetdare
Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
mstrofynggrls

I think seeing who has been banned and seeing where their tracks are can be useful as an example for others.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
TdotTop
Baby Member

WOW, ok this is a great example of why you should actually read the Privacy Policy of the websites you join. I joined so i could read posts, after a short time I realized this site is not for me (thankfully before I posted anything and added anything to my profile).

Today I decided to delete my account and realized that YOU CANT?! This is just wrong, im sorry but you can all say "for archival purposes" "to limit confusion" or "whatever other bullshit" you like, but lets be honest, this is just wrong.

All I can say to this is I hope one day you are spammed with trolls who DOS your website and because of your own policies you cant remove them or the posts they leave all over your site. In fact, just because you pissed me off, I think I will start the ball rolling by sharing the site on 4chan and reddit explaing how many underage (and by that i mean the 14 and 15 year olds) that are being dared to do sexual things by literally 'creepy old men'. ya ya 13 is "underage" but fuck that!

I hope you enjoy the trolls!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
i love new things

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTop View Post
WOW, ok this is a great example of why you should actually read the Privacy Policy of the websites you join. I joined so i could read posts, after a short time I realized this site is not for me (thankfully before I posted anything and added anything to my profile).

Today I decided to delete my account and realized that YOU CANT?! This is just wrong, im sorry but you can all say "for archival purposes" "to limit confusion" or "whatever other bullshit" you like, but lets be honest, this is just wrong.

All I can say to this is I hope one day you are spammed with trolls who DOS your website and because of your own policies you cant remove them or the posts they leave all over your site. In fact, just because you pissed me off, I think I will start the ball rolling by sharing the site on 4chan and reddit explaing how many underage (and by that i mean the 14 and 15 year olds) that are being dared to do sexual things by literally 'creepy old men'. ya ya 13 is "underage" but fuck that!

I hope you enjoy the trolls!
I couldn't agree more. Being in compliance with the laws is one thing, upholding a personal moral standard is another. At some point your conscience should kick in and you should be a genuine person. I really don't know what the world has come to, it isn't hard to just be a good person.

Strong limits: illegal, family, friends, people finding out, public (visible), poop, perminient, severe pain, messy, ice

Male/USA
LOOKING FOR A FEMALE SLAVE OR MISTRESS, PM ME IF INTERESTED!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Little miss

Ok, you shouldn't post what your not comfortable leaving behind.

The policy is bollocks though..
In plain English, what ever they tell you... What it really means is they want to keep all accounts as it racks up the "number of users" they have.

When it comes to getting others to advertise on your site, they have some very good numbers of "profiles created" ... Even if no longer active.
The GD staff (no offence) don't know much, most are barley out of their teens and are just telling you what they are told to say

My likes and dislikes are not relevant.
I am looking for an online slave chick (Yes females only)

I use Kik (Contact me for details) and only interested in picture proof of my tasks, I know some of you girls are a little shy .. But don't be!!

Be proud of who you are and what you like, One life ..!!
Closed Thread