Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 08-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Komodo Jones
getDare Succubus

Default Computer Help

OK, sorry if this isn't the right section for posting this I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this. Recently, my getdare personal profile has no longer been showing tabs for blog, friends, visitor messages etc. Instead it has me scroll down, through the whole page and each thing is displayed at the same time. With this problem and I cannot drag down the quick links bar at the top of the page nor can I insert smilies. It seems that any time there is a normal drag down menu I cannot access it. Yet on my kinktalk account it's perfectly fine. So does anyone who actually knows something about computers help me or tell me what might be going on. My Internet browser of choice is Internet Explorer.

38/male/partially bi/switch
D/s Status: Protector, Dom and Daddy of pixie.dust

I love meeting new, nice, smart people. I communicate through Discord mainly.

What are my limits/likes/supplies?
Click here!

Check Out my Literary Works
Targeting the Ignored [Fiction]
Some Stuff I've Done (Non-Fiction)
Komodo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Master.
Distinguished Member

Have you tried any other browser?
Do you have any add-ons enabled in your current browser?
Is your current browser fully updated?
Master. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
Komodo Jones
getDare Succubus

You have to remember I know almost nothing about computers, so I'm not sure if I have the newest version or what. However, I have Windows 8 which is confusing enough as it is. I usually go to the desktop as that is the least confusing, but right now I am using the Internet explorer app and everything is working fine, so if I truly need to access the tabs and everything I guess I'll just use this, unless I can find out what's wrong. Oh and also I have checked I do not have Google Chrome, FireFox or any other type of browser on my laptop.

38/male/partially bi/switch
D/s Status: Protector, Dom and Daddy of pixie.dust

I love meeting new, nice, smart people. I communicate through Discord mainly.

What are my limits/likes/supplies?
Click here!

Check Out my Literary Works
Targeting the Ignored [Fiction]
Some Stuff I've Done (Non-Fiction)
Komodo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Heroner

It sounds like Javascript may be disabled. Unfortunately I don't know enough about Windows 8/the IE app to help you out.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:31 AM   #5
a83jbd03f

This post is a bit old, but I figured I should say this anyways.

Don't use Internet Explorer. It's notorious having compatibility problems with many websites and can pose a huge security risk. Just 4 months ago there was an exploit found that allowed malicious websites to get complete access to your computer's memory (that allows them to do basically anything to your computer). This has of course been patched already, but it's still a pretty big deal that something like that could happen in the first place.

There's other issues with it too, but a lot of them have to do how terrible IE is to develop for and the anti-competitive practices Microsoft has used to try and force people to use IE. If you're interested in that, there's a bit on it that I copied from elsewhere in the spoiler below:
Spoiler:
"Browsers such as Firefox and Chrome implemented standards proposed by the W3C (a body that sets standards for the web) which make a page to look the same across browsers. Microsoft saw these standards as a threat and did not want the web to be interoperable (i.e. one browser can be replaced with another); so it proposed a different set of web standards that favored them and implemented them in Internet Explorer.

Fast forward ten years: Microsoft's clients, especially large organizations, which use Internet Explorer have still retained their old websites but the outside world has moved much faster. Microsoft cannot do both i.e. adapt to the outside world and support its existing clients, so it tries to do a bit of each leading to Internet Explorer being suboptimal.

As for the hatred towards Internet Explorer, its initial lack of support for W3C standards resulted in website designers having to work hard to display a website in Internet Explorer and all other browsers. Although it is not as true today, the hatred continues."

I highly recommend you download either Chrome (https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/) or Firefox (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/).
a83jbd03f is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk