Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Submissive/Dominant Area > Submissive/Dominant Lounge

Old 03-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
TheGravedigger

Default Discussion : Definition of a Slave.

After reading the threads here, and speaking with Merlin, I thought it might be a good idea to discuss the definition of a slave, and some of the related terms.

Generally speaking, the term submissive and slave tend to get thrown around as the same word, when they tend to have some rather difference connotations. Additionally, words like pet and bottom can be used in similar context, with slightly different meanings.

I know I have my own definitions for each of these, but what I'm asking is for members of the community to post their thoughts, so we can discuss the differences and come to some sort of consensus.
TheGravedigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
lydiab6

For me there is a huge difference between a sub and a slave. I personally am a switch between a sub and a dom rather than between a slave and a master. sub/dom for me is play. It states that I am not as much a part of the lifestyle, as I am part of the scening aspect. I prefer to have a scene once in a while and then be done, and no longer have a distinction between who is the dom and who is the sub. With a slave/master relationship, I feel that the distinction between the two is constant and there as the security that it will always be there. Slave/master relationships go beyond sex they are relationships based in states of mind. Every action, and the purpose behind every action is for the benefit of enhancing the slave/master dynamic. It becomes a part of the person whereas sub/dom is a persona people take on for periods of time.

disclaimer: These are my own thoughts and opinions, I am sorry if they are viewed as inaccurate. I may be completely wrong, but this is how I see it.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
TheLittleStrawberry
getDare Devil

The common definitions are that a slave is someone who gives in completely... meaning no rights, nothing....

A sub has more freedom and has more say in the relationship.

Personally, I call it all bullshit... Why have definitions? People generally think that slaves and masters are more serious, genuine and real than Sub and Doms... While truth is that in some way, we're all just subs and doms... There will never ever be such thing as a perfect slave/master dynamic, because we live in a free society, where the slave can walk out on it anyway. I mean... Basically, even IF the slave gives in completely and never says no, she/he has freedom. They can always say "I don't want this anymore.. bye."

Also... What works for one, doesn't work for another. I don't see a switch less serious than me, just cos I'm a sub/slave.
People seem to think that to be a "real" slave or master, you need to follow certain rules set by the BDSM community... Like that stupid phrase "SSC - safe, Sane and consensual."
I believe in RACK and nothing else... Risk-aware, Consensual Kink.. I don't care how risky or stupid things people practice. As long as they are fully aware of the risks... i'll mind my own business.

Bottom line is that a slave and a sub is whatever you feel they are. There is no right or wrong... There are communities who look down upon other who are different. But it's like that everywhere. people can't wait to shred you apart and feel better than you.

So.... For me.. There really is no difference between a slave or a sub. it's just different levels of kink, personalities and desires.

Im doing dares again If you wanna send one, you can PM me, but I'll probably hang around the dare threads as well.

Limits: I wont ingest anything nasty, Nothing messy that will ruin my furniture or belongings, nothing public, nothing illegal.

most humiliating dare:
I was dared not to remove my panties at all for a few days. Not even for bathroom duties, and to cut a little hole for 'nr 2' as I couldnt remove them . It was strange.
TheLittleStrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Bandit|Queen
getDare Sweetheart

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
slave-noun, verb, slaved, slav·ing.
–noun 1. a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.

Ok I feel that this says it all really, this is the deffinition of a slave and I persoanlly do not think that slaves properly exist anymore (if you go by the proper deffinition and look at slavery in history). The term slave is thrown around too easily in BDSM personally and is normally used for a submissive who has a Master/Misstress in my experiance. If you like to call your subbie slave then go for it who cares what anyone else thinks or the true deffinition according to BDSM?

Might want to have a look at this: http://thoughtsonmsdynamics.blogspot...ubmission.html

Although I cant really figure out what I am from that link, I kind of fit inbetween a couple of them.

Love you my smooch!

Last edited by Bandit|Queen; 04-01-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Bandit|Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 AM   #5
TheDomInMe

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDomInMe
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiab6 View Post
For me there is a huge difference between a sub and a slave. I personally am a switch between a sub and a dom rather than between a slave and a master. sub/dom for me is play. It states that I am not as much a part of the lifestyle, as I am part of the scening aspect. I prefer to have a scene once in a while and then be done, and no longer have a distinction between who is the dom and who is the sub. With a slave/master relationship, I feel that the distinction between the two is constant and there as the security that it will always be there. Slave/master relationships go beyond sex they are relationships based in states of mind. Every action, and the purpose behind every action is for the benefit of enhancing the slave/master dynamic. It becomes a part of the person whereas sub/dom is a persona people take on for periods of time.

disclaimer: These are my own thoughts and opinions, I am sorry if they are viewed as inaccurate. I may be completely wrong, but this is how I see it.
I personally think there is the technical definition and the practical definition. The technical definition is what you would find in the dictionary and some masters may apply that definition in the strictest sense. The practical definition reflects the distinctions between the two as they relate to the BDSM community and its activities. Lydia has provided a very good explanation of the latter.
TheDomInMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 AM   #6
MstDynamic

Agree alot with the terms above, its all the same, if a 'sub' wants to be known as a slave, well its their choice. Far too many take the wordings to serioues, in my experiances alot 'play' more than 24/7. Yes there is out there, RL ppl who are Master/Mistress with a 'slave' where he/she will abide by the rules of their 'Dominant'

As I say, each to their own and dont knock anyone if it works for them, Enjoy be happy, we all have our thoughts and ideas which makes you You, smile and the world smiles back at you.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Bandit|Queen
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstDynamic View Post
Far too many take the wordings to serioues, in my experiances alot 'play' more than 24/7. Yes there is out there, RL ppl who are Master/Mistress with a 'slave' where he/she will abide by the rules of their 'Dominant'

The thing is I know a fair few submissive s online who are rl submissives but are not the a category of slave but their submission extends outside of bedroom "play" this is where that link I posted before comes in handy because it talks about different levels of slave. My submission isn't restricted to just when I play with my Master but I am no slave in my opinion. I think a lot of this is based on opinion and how you see yourself and I think the idea of there being different levels of slave or submissive is a good one.

Love you my smooch!
Bandit|Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Once again I agree much with Strawberry. Why definitions?

To me, slave, sub, bottom are just words. Nothing else.

I read in several BDSM websites definitions that are supposed to draw a distinction between a slave & a sub & none of them resemble me, really. And it makes sense that it doesn’t because each person is different with different levels of needs & experience.

Here’s one sample of a definition of a slave according to BDSM community:

Quote:
Slave: As a slave control is given up completely. The power balance is completely tipped in the Dominant’s direction. Slaves usually are slaves 24/7. They may work but when they get home there is no distinction from normal day to a BDSM day, that person is always a slave from the day they ask for that. Something to remember however is that as a slave this does not mean if the Dominant asks you to break the law or hurt yourself that you should obey on a whim.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...n_in_bdsm.html
Alright… Nice definition of a fantasy but crashes badly when it crosses that thing called reality. Because no matter how people call themselves or whatever their “level” of dominance or submission is what is described above is nearly non-existant. In most relationships in which people call themselves either slaves or subs lots of things are discussed between the Dominant & the submissive such as rules, limits etc. In most cases, the Dominant will have the last say but there is hardly such thing as where a Master makes all decisions without ever taking the slave’s feelings or opinions into account.

The truth is that there are not only 2 ways to look at it. In between black & white there are multiple shades of grey. There will always be some who will be “more submissives” or “less submissives” because everyone’s needs are different & each relationships’ dynamic is unique.

Personally, I don’t care what label I have, really… The only thing that truly matters is that I’m happy & fulfilled with what I have whatever that makes me a slave or sub…

Note: One funny little detail: I have noticed in many websites & even in some polls on this very site too that if you’re a submissive you can either choose a “sub” or a “slave” option but if your Dominant then you have only “Master/Mistress”. What does that say? That there are levels or more levels of submission than levels for dominance? I don't think so...
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk