Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 09-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
Sain
GetDare's Green Knight

Default Catch Mister X and Win Dungeon Entry...

Summary: This is a forum version of the game Scotland Yard. It seems well suited for this site because it's a cooperative game where the community can work together to find Mr. X.

Objective: You are detectives chasing the elusive Mr. X around London. You must work together to surround him and cut off his escape routes. The detectives win if one of the detectives are ever on the same space as Mr. X. Mr. X wins if the detectives run out of travel tickets.

Movement: Here is a map of the gameboard for reference.
There are three forms of movement the detectives can use:
Taxis are marked in white
Bus routes are marked in blue
Underground routes are marked in red

For every form of movement, you move to the adjacent space that uses that method of transportation. So if you take the bus or underground, you move to the next bus stop or underground route.

To move, please say which detective you are moving, which space you are moving to, and which method of transportation you are using. For example,
Quote:
Red takes a bus to 41.
You don't have to keep track of how many travel tickets each detective has remaining, I will do that.

Mr. X:
Mr. X uses the same three methods of transportation the detectives use. In addition, he can travel using the ferry. Ferry routes are marked in black, and the four ferry stations are: 194, 157, 115, and 108. Mr. X must use a hidden move token in order to use the ferry.

Mr. X normally does not reveal his position on the board, but he must reveal which type of transportation he used. After his 3rd, 8th, 13th, 18th, and 24th move, he reveals his position to the detectives. Mr. X has 2 double move tokens, which allow him to make a second move before the detectives' turn, and 5 hidden move tokens, which allow him to hide his method of transportation.

Turn Order:
For this game, the turn order will be:
Mr. X
Red
Blue
Green
Black
Yellow

When you move, move the next detective in turn. For example, if the last person moved the blue detective, you must move the green detective. Anyone can move any detective, but please only move one detective per post. You must wait for someone else to make a move before moving again. Feel free to discuss strategy in this thread as much as you want, it takes a coordinated effort to catch Mr. X!

Rewards:
If the detectives win, the person who ended the game by moving a detective to the space where Mr. X is will win dungeon entry. In addition, they get to choose two other active detectives to be rewarded with dungeon entry. (These dungeon slots will not necessarily be in the same week). Also, if this game is successful, I may reward an active detective (whether they won or not) the opportunity to play as Mr. X in the next game. Winning as Mr. X will award a dungeon spot.

Last edited by Sain; 09-19-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Sain is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 users say Thank You to Sain for this post:
Old 09-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
Sain
GetDare's Green Knight

Mr. X (move 1) takes a taxi.

Red is at 138 (T: 10, B: 8, U: 4)
Blue is at 198 (T: 10, B: 8, U: 4)
Green is at 91 (T: 10, B: 8, U: 4)
Black is at 174 (T: 10, B: 8, U: 4)
Yellow is at 141 (T: 10, B: 8, U: 4)

If you can't see the numbers on the board, the link in the OP is a higher resolution image.

The numbers in parenthesis are how many travel tickets each detective has.

Remember, Mr. X reveals his position on move 3. Right now, the detectives should try to get to well connected locations so they can travel quickly on move 3.

Last edited by Sain; 09-18-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Sain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
KittenLicks
getDare's Naughtiest Kitten

Oooh, what an interesting game! I'm gonna look up a strategy guide then be back.

Also hey Sain. <3

PM Dares
"Oh god help! Bunny is trapped in KittenLicks signiture 0///0 Save Bunny!!! 9/10"
~ Fieldofbunnies
KittenLicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to KittenLicks for this post:
Old 09-19-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
Pariahterror
Prodigy

This really seems interesting.

I think the detectives should move in the direction of the bridges apart from red. Red should head north a bit in my mind.

Mr X can be everywhere. We need to see when he moves with other transportation.

Likes: Denial / Spanking / Petplay / body writing / Sensory Deprivation / Crossdressing / Hidden public / Hypnosis
Neutral: Diapers / Messy / Cornertime / Bladder control / Pee / pictures
Curious: Humiliation / Self-bondage / hidden public outing
Dislikes: Linewriting
Limits: Permanent / Family / Face / Video/Cam / Illegal
For more: Likes / toys

PM dares

Progress of 1000 thread

KIK: Pariahterror

Pariahterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #5
KittenLicks

So, from what I've looked up, standard strategy seems to be "Spend the first few turns getting the detectives to places where they can reach the most parts of the board".

It also seems like a good idea to get detectives spread out over the board, so at least one of them should be close by when X surfaces.

So I propose this:

Red moves to the upper left part of the board.
Blue moves to the bottom left part of the board.
Black stays in the bottom right, but gets onto an underground route.
Green stays in the top right but gets onto an underground route.
Yellow moves to the middle.

I think if we did something like this, we'd have the best chance of surrounding Mr X when he surfaces.

As an example, something like this might work.

One thing I'm pretty sure is that it won't hurt to get at least one detective closer to the top left, so:

Move: Red moves by Taxi to 124.

PM Dares
"Oh god help! Bunny is trapped in KittenLicks signiture 0///0 Save Bunny!!! 9/10"
~ Fieldofbunnies
Old 09-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Joan Sky
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenLicks View Post
So, from what I've looked up, standard strategy seems to be "Spend the first few turns getting the detectives to places where they can reach the most parts of the board".

It also seems like a good idea to get detectives spread out over the board, so at least one of them should be close by when X surfaces.

So I propose this:

Red moves to the upper left part of the board.
Blue moves to the bottom left part of the board.
Black stays in the bottom right, but gets onto an underground route.
Green stays in the top right but gets onto an underground route.
Yellow moves to the middle.

I think if we did something like this, we'd have the best chance of surrounding Mr X when he surfaces.

As an example, something like this might work.

One thing I'm pretty sure is that it won't hurt to get at least one detective closer to the top left, so:

Move: Red moves by Taxi to 124.
I've never played it before irl either, just like bloxo's 20 question game.

Sounds good KittenLicks. You're the only detective at the moment, but as each person joins remember any sort of PM is the best method to relay strategies because Mr. X can hear you right now too. And based off the positions of each detective on the board, and your stategy and the time it takes to get there, the first top two-two thirds and bottom left are most vulnerable at the moment.

Another strategy would be to form a wide enough circle near the center (far enough from each other, but not too far) and to corner him with four detectives closing off that section like an efficient net once he announces his location, etc. .. making sure to stay near underground routes during the impending blockade and if he announces an underground ride, the nearest detectives can all enter and block his escape.

Should work every time like tic-tac-toe, even though you might get a CAT (or standstill) every once in a blue.

Just a guess.

I want to play yellow, so I might wait or someone else might get it at that time.

Thanks again for making a forum version of this game Sain.

Last edited by Joan Sky; 09-19-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Joan Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
KittenLicks

Mm, I was thinking the same about Mr X listening, Joan, but I didn't think of pm'ing strategies. Is that allowed? It'd suck if this thread was all dead because there's four ~super secret~ pm conversations going on. XD

PM Dares
~ Fieldofbunnies
Old 09-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Pariahterror
Prodigy

Yep, this would be good.

Black should head to that trainstation.

Red should indeed move north. Being at that trainstation is very good at the second turn.

Blue shouldn't move more west after those two move.

But I think yellow should head north after the bridge until more is known

Trainstations really should be used to come near Mr. X and block him off. But we shouldn't use underground tickets quickly

Likes: Denial / Spanking / Petplay / body writing / Sensory Deprivation / Crossdressing / Hidden public / Hypnosis

PM dares

Progress of 1000 thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
KittenLicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariahterror View Post
Yep, this would be good.

Red should indeed move north. Being at that trainstation is very good at the second turn.

Trainstations really should be used to come near Mr. X and block him off. But we shouldn't use underground tickets quickly
I actually messed up on that diagram with yellow, I think. Yellow starts on 141, so they should go 141->taxi->133 then 133->taxi->140, because then Yellow is on an underground when Mr X appears.

Also, I don't know if it's hugely important where everyone is on the second turn, seeing as we're probably not going to get any more information than "Mr X went somewhere by taxi", which doesn't narrow anything down for us. The big and important one will be turn 3 when we find out where Mr X is and need to close in fast.

PM Dares
~ Fieldofbunnies
Old 09-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Pariahterror
Prodigy

Good. I would say make it solid then. I am agreeing with these moves

PM dares

Progress of 1000 thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
Joan Sky
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Mm, I was thinking the same about Mr X listening, Joan, but I didn't think of pm'ing strategies. Is that allowed? It'd suck if this thread was all dead because there's four ~super secret~ pm conversations going on. XD
I don't think I saw him saying wasn't.

And it was more of a comment for when everyone already joined...

It wouldn't be dead, you all would be moving. Six people (including him) posting over and over again wouldn't make a thread dead. But that's cool, tell Mr X your strategy and make it easier for him to plan his moves

Give the other team your playbook... I'd love to see that happen in football, it'd be more funny and maybe I'd actually watch it then. Just a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariahterror View Post
Yep, this would be good.

Yeah, I said get near them and use them when necessary.

Have fun y'all

Last edited by Joan Sky; 09-19-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #12
KittenLicks

*shrug* I don't doubt that it's optimal to keep strategy discussion to private channels. It just feels a bit exploitative, seeing as you can't do it in real life, so I'd rather find out if it's allowed first.

If it's allowed I'll be the first to start pm'ing people.

PM Dares
~ Fieldofbunnies
Old 09-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #13
Joan Sky
Distinguished Member

Quote:
*shrug* I don't doubt that it's optimal to keep strategy discussion to private channels. It just feels a bit exploitative, seeing as you can't do it in real life, so I'd rather find out if it's allowed first.

If it's allowed I'll be the first to start pm'ing people.
Like I said, I never played it before just like you, so beats me. This is just a game. Who's to say the detectives can't whisper something quick in real life or gesture some kind of signal?

Beyond the game, real detectives do talk privately amost each other comparing short notes on their thoughts to close in and nab the bad guy.

But this talk seems to be getting drawn out, and not fun, so yeah keep it open. Most important is that the fun isn't sucked out.

Have fun playing. Wish y'all the best

Who's going to be the Blue Detective? I'm wondering just like everyone else

Is Puppy making a move?

Last edited by Joan Sky; 09-19-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #14
Sain
GetDare's Green Knight

It is not intended for each person to pick a specific detective and ONLY play that detective the entire game. Yes, that is how the actual board game works, but this game would take far too long to complete if we’re waiting for one specific person to play a detective’s turn. And I want this to be accessible to everyone, even if there are already five people playing.

Private strategy talks are allowed, but a bad idea. Anyone can move any detective. So while you’re having private conversations, a detective might get moved by someone you didn’t tell your strategy to.

Announcement: Since there are currently less than five people playing, I’m changing the posting rule. Now, you can move one detective per post, and you need one person to make a move before you move again.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #15
Joan Sky
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sain View Post
It is not intended for each person to pick a specific detective and ONLY play that detective the entire game. Yes, that is how the actual board game works, but this game would take far too long to complete if we’re waiting for one specific person to play a detective’s turn. And I want this to be accessible to everyone, even if there are already five people playing.

Private strategy talks are allowed, but a bad idea. Anyone can move any detective. So while you’re having private conversations, a detective might get moved by someone you didn’t tell your strategy to.

Announcement: Since there are currently less than five people playing, I’m changing the posting rule. Now, you can move one detective per post, and you need one person to make a move before you move again.
That new information makes more sense now and sounds good. Thanks

Advertisements
Kink Talk