Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com > Suggestion Zone

Old 12-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #1
Jaro
The toe sucking anal slut

Default Filters for Unread Posts

This may be a long shot but personally, I would find it very useful if I could filter out some of the getDare sections from my 'Unread Posts' list.

I, personally, have no interest in the person above threads. So it would be great if I could see my 'Unread Posts' list without any of the threads from the 'person above' section cluttering it.

Worm owned by
Princess Butterfly

Likes & LimitsToys

Check out my truths and dares here

Jaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:54 AM   #2
RiskyFlame
Longtime User

Information Guide to Manual Advanced Search

I love these kinds of questions because I learn something new as well. But did you know that this is already possible? The only problem is that it's just not linked to any button on getDare. The Advanced Search feature is only an interface for the user to search for threads and posts. Then the Advanced Search creates a URL that has will determine the search results for you. But what will happen when you skip the user interface and type the search commando's directly in the URL?

You need to know the right syntax, of course. Therefore, I'll give you some of the basics. So, this information isn't only meant for this specific problem but for other search-related cravings as well.

Using Advanced Search Interface
I will not explain how to use the Advanced Search with its options itself, but rather what the syntax to search for keywords. You may not have known, but it's possible to use logical operators in the search box. There are three logical operators to use: AND, OR and NOT.
  • AND used to search for two keywords. This logical operator is redundant because getDare uses this operator automatically when you type in two keywords with a space in between them. (ex.: getDare AND help)
  • OR used to give results containing these two (or more) words, regardless of whether they all are included in the post or only one word is. (ex.: tips OR tricks)
  • NOT used to filter out any words written after the operator. (ex.: pictures NOT nudes)
Other useful syntax to know is the quotation marks ("keyword"). By quoting the text you search for, only results will appear that contain these exact words in this exact order.

Lastly, you can use an asterisk. This is called a wild card. Have you ever played Scrabble where you can use blank pieces to use for any characteristic you want? This asterisk will be that blank-o to you. For instance, when you write walk* in the keyword box, results will give you any post containing words starting with "walk", but unfortunately, not the word "walk" itself. So results could be: walkable, walked, walker, walks, walkup, walky (talky), walking, etc.

The wild card can be used to search for words containing only three characteristics. But as said, you won't get the word of the three characteristics itself. So for instance, when the keyword is pee*, you get pee-related results.

URL Syntax
For those who want to get the most out of searching on getDare, you should visit this webpage.

But somehow, this source didn't include all the commands possible. Maybe it's because of the same reason I can't give you all the commands possible, simply because I got them from browsing the internet and not from the system behind getDare.

Before continuing to the syntax, here's the default for using the Advanced Search interface. Look closely at the do=process. This piece of code enables you to use the search engine. Without this code (and the ?), you get the interface.
Code:
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/search.php
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/search.php?do=process&query=searchword
Unread Posts
Code:
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/search.php?do=getnew
New Threads
Code:
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/search.php?do=process&replyless=1
By adding the code &replylimit=0, you only get threads that didn't get any replies so far.

Excluding (sub-)forums
Regardless of whether you use do=process and do=getnew, you are able to use the [I]&exclude=[value][I] syntax. This enables you to exclude any (sub-)forum you want. For the [value], go to the (sub-)forum you want to exclude and look at its forum-ID. The ID is shown in the url: /bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=[value]. You can exclude multiple forums by seperating the forum-IDs using a comma (,).

Including (sub-)forums
The &include[value] is used the same way as the exclude syntax. Obviously, it includes a (sub-)forum instead of excluding it.

Disclaimer
This method is rather buggy to me and the search options are limited. For instance, I was not able to use the same syntax twice (ex.: &exclude=36&exclude=50). Therefore, you need to try it yourself and figure what settings work best for you.

I've only really liked a handful of people in my life,
and you've been two of them.

—Hans Axgil—

Last edited by RiskyFlame; 02-20-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: excluding multiple forum-IDs
RiskyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to RiskyFlame for this post:
Old 12-25-2016, 04:59 AM   #3
Jaro
The toe sucking anal slut

So I got exactly what I want by using this:

http://www.getdare.com/bbs/search.ph...new&exclude=36

Works like a charm! Thank you very much for your in-depth response!

Worm owned by
Princess Butterfly

Likes & LimitsToys

Check out my truths and dares here

Jaro is offline   Reply With Quote