Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com > Suggestion Zone

Old 12-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Collared_Slave
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to Collared_Slave Send a message via Yahoo to Collared_Slave
Default Deleting threads

Is it possible to make threads deleteable? so if they stick it in the wrong section by accident- then the mods dont have to clear it up.
Collared_Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Davros
Account Banned

If we have everything, the mods are out of a job. Maybe it'll teach people to be careful of what they post.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Collared_Slave
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to Collared_Slave Send a message via Yahoo to Collared_Slave

True- im just thinking of saving them a bit of time and sanity.
Collared_Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Davros
Account Banned

But if people are careful enough to begin with, they shouldn't need to delete posts they've made
Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
lucky
Account Banned

What happens when the user deletes a thread already answered. The people answered would be annoyed, they spent some of their time posting.

Or deleting a single post from a chain would make the next one answering look kind of stupid and offtopic. Even if the last post is being deleted... someone may answer while the user deletes his.

Some accidents may happen in edits too but rarely (example: 1) send me pics->2) don't ask for pics->then the poster edits the first post and delete pics request. 2nd message is obsolete now but the reason is still oblivious).

I am currently blackmailed and I am not sure about my limits...
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Davros
Account Banned

Yeah, it'd also make some Post Count problems
Old 12-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Looking4somename
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via ICQ to Looking4somename Send a message via AIM to Looking4somename Send a message via MSN to Looking4somename Send a message via Yahoo to Looking4somename

Deleting whole threads is problematic since it removes both the original message and all the replies. Allowing this will cause a lot of trouble.
Not to mention the "bug" it will cause in the post count. It might cause a situation where one has 87 posts, but since 5 were deleted, while watching all his posts you'll only see 82.
Baiscly - not very effective.

I believe the mods have the option of deleting threads or messages, though they seldom (if ever) use it for the reason I mentioned above.
It is much simpler to just edit and/or lock a thread and will cause less troubles and chain-reactions.

"You know, these clothes do not fancy you at all. It should be a dress or nothing... I happen to have no dress in my cabin." (Captain Jack Sparrow)

...Some of the want to get used by you
Looking4somename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
depp
SysOp

I like the current system where you can make edits immediatly after posting and report posting problems. We can move posts that are reported and edits solve most other issues.

We don't let users remove posts but we can send bad posts to the trashcan. This allows our removal of threads from the main site to be transparent to registered users. I am however always happy to edit out personal information however should that be the users concern.