Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Truth OR Dare > Truth or Dare Stories > The Authors' Cafe

Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
theone
getDare Succubus

Default Proof reading

Fortunately there are a lot of good writers on this site so I’m hoping some of you can give me some tips on this subject.
theone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

On the subject of proofreading? I'm not sure what it is you are actually asking.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
theone
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop View Post
On the subject of proofreading? I'm not sure what it is you are actually asking.
Tips on technique of how to spot mechanical mistakes easily.

I use word spellchecker for spelling but still don’t seem to spot all my other mechanical mistakes easily.

Professional writers use other professional proof readers to check their work. I just want to know if anyone has any simple self assessment/editing rules.
theone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Duckers

For what my opinion is worth, I seem to be having lots of luck with writing ahead in Word or OpenOffice. I try to stay a few chapters ahead of whatever has been submitted.

Before I submit anything, I try to let what I wrote stew for a few days. That way I don't feel the same immediacy, and it is easier for me to edit it. It's easier for me to be in editor mode when I'm not still in writer mode. I skim through looking for the little squiggle marks that show typos first, then I go back through and re-read what I wrote. I've found that I'm terrible about leaving out words, especially when I rush to get something typed out.

I also try to keep a tab open with access to a dictionary/thesaurus.
Duckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Midnight
getDare Sweetheart

Location: When I'm in one location, I'll let you know. Doubt that will be any time soon. (Thanks work!)

I have a couple of methods. After I've written what I'm going to post, I always take a couple days away from it. When you come back to it, read it aloud, being sure to pronounce things exactly as written and observing all puncutation.

You can also get a beta reader.

Just quiet and guarded.

Be careful when you talk to me...you never know which personality wants to play.

You can message for whatever. I'm open to conversation. Anything else...well, you saw the little memo about the many personality...it also applies to moods.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
chubbsman7

For me, I read over the entire section of the story. I make corrections if I mispelled a word or wanted to use a different word.

Some more advice is try not to be too repetitive with words, here's an example I'll write:

___

"Truth or Dare?" Poopnose said.

"Dare." Urinemouth said.

"Strip off your clothes." Poopnose said.

"Okay." Urinemouth said.

"Wait, what about me?" Said Anusface.

"Okay, you can strip too." Said Poopnose.

"CoOoLiO!" Anusface said.

"Me too!" Said Penismuncher.

___

Get my drift? Most writers on this site (including me) know what I'm talking about. Proofreading is an art, of course. If I'm not sure about a word and think it's not spelled right, I usually use http://dictionary.reference.com/. It's a good site to find the right word you meant to spell. If you want to, you can use the thesaurus link on that site for better words.

Of course, all this is solved if you use Microsoft Word. If you don't have it though (which a lot of people actually don't), especially if you have a mac (like me, but I have word on it), use those sites to correct yourself. Using the Application "Pages" on Mac works too.

Most of the time, though, I just read through, since 90% of the time I spell something right.

(Another thing, make sure you put periods instead of commas! That drives me NUTS!!!!)

...And So Summer Starts (Lauren's View)

With these stories, I'll try to update every Monday or so. It depends on my work schedule, really. But I'll post as often (as appropriate, definitely not everyday!) as I can!

Also: A side project of mine:

The In The Black Fedora
chubbsman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
coolio5

I agree with pretty much everything that was said. I always try to leave a few days before going back to my writing (unless i'm in a big hurry to get a post out). Then after checking for grammar and spelling i re-read through it to see if i have any new ideas to add, or to change word repetition like chubbsman said.

Then i usually come back to it about an hour or so later, read it one last time out loud, and if i'm satisfied its sent into the world of getDare!

hope that helps!

Limits: permanent, illegal, family, poo, anal, extreme pain

PM me with any good dares

HIGH QUALITY READING MATERIAL:

FINISHED "Strip Basketball"!!!!
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=11996
(3rd place in the 2008 Storyteller's Choice Awards!!!)

IN PROGRESS "That crazy school trip..."
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthrea...904#post182904
coolio5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk