Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #31
MasterPain
Distinguished Member

i misspell allot of words!
i don't care if it is misspelled!

i just want to see the whole word, in text messages you have 150 characters to express yourself in, in the Internet and on get dare you have 10,000 characters that you can use! there is a big difference!
and NUMBERS have no place inside words!

IE has an intergrated spell checker for free called IeSpell you download from the windows upgrade website.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #32
scottieman

Default Spelling can be fun!

What about some kind of strip spelling bee?

Spell or dare? No vowel play allowed!

On second thoughts it might lead to more deliberate "mistakes".
Old 11-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #33
Swooper

Haha love your idea, and your suggestion. But what I have noticed is getdare itself also has its own spell checker, but that will only come up if a word is spelt wrong not if the word is right and is the wrong word. I know here in Australia spelling, maths and grammar are slowly being eaten into by other so called important subjects, I am amazed at how many 19-25 year olds cannot spell or even use paragraphing because they were not taught it.

This is not just since the use of text messenging or msn, it has been on the decline sice I was at school over 10 years ago. No one really helped me improve my spelling, that is why one of my most visited sites is dictionary.com to make sure I have the right meaning and the right spelling of a word if I am unsure.

I am sure other people are not that lazy to check their words or ask for help if needed when writing. I excuse those that are not English speakers first but if Chloe can write pretty well in English why can't others learn too?

But that is just my take.

Swooper
Old 11-19-2007, 07:10 PM   #34
Glutgod
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1(2) View Post
The thing i find annoying is people who use the most ridiculous abbreviations for things, in their quasi leet speak way 1 m34n 1f 7h3y w4n7 70 5p34k 1n |337 7h3n 7h3y c4n, 4nd ju57 637 b4nn3d n1c3 4nd 5h4rp15h yeah i didn't know all that, ran it through a leet speak translator, who would have thought such a thing would exist.

I have got to know where you would find that... I could annoy the hell out of any one If that got in my hands, (not here of course.) Supprisingly though I could read all of that perfect.
For us, the storm has passed. The war is over. And let us never forget those who journeyed into the howling dark, and did not return. For their decision required courage beyond measure. Sacrifice, an unshakeable conviction that their fight... *our* fight... was elsewhere. As we start to rebuild, this hillside will remain barren, a memorial to heroes fallen. They enobled all of us, and they shall not be forgotten
Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 AM   #35
Marc
Warning: Contains Nuts

what? like this one?

(51/\/\PL3 9009L3 534R(|-| - \/\/0R|<5 3\/3R'/ 71/\/\3!)

or, in english,

(simple google search - works every time!)

Warning: May contain nuts.

Likes: CFNM, WaM, Zentai, nudity, Cuffed, life model, body painting model, live TorD, being a naked chauffeur, to be continued....
Limits: No family, no work, no illegal, nothing beyond end of session, social suicide, swapping likes for dislikes, account control, to be continued...
Dislikes: Anal, blood, scat, to be continued...
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=150827
KIK: CFNM_Woody (mention getDare)

Vote on my current poll, please
Old 11-20-2007, 02:32 AM   #36
Pikachu
Distinguished Member

Default ya

who cares about spelling at all who cares about grammer
Old 11-20-2007, 05:05 AM   #37
Powerstrip
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to Powerstrip Send a message via Yahoo to Powerstrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyou View Post
Wo cares about spelling at all? Who cares about grammar?
Have you even read this thread? There are plenty of people that care about spelling and grammar. It makes life on these forums much better when you don't have to whip out the old translator for crap-good english!

PS: I fixed your sentence for you. Maybe next time you can stick to the rules of english, please

I am looking for a mistress. Please PM me if interested
Old 11-20-2007, 05:56 AM   #38
TheLittleStrawberry
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
what? like this one?

(51/\/\PL3 9009L3 534R(|-| - \/\/0R|<5 3\/3R'/ 71/\/\3!)

or, in english,

(simple google search - works every time!)
The scary thing is that I can actually understand and translate that :S

Im doing dares again If you wanna send one, you can PM me, but I'll probably hang around the dare threads as well.

Limits: I wont ingest anything nasty, Nothing messy that will ruin my furniture or belongings, nothing public, nothing illegal.

most humiliating dare:
I was dared not to remove my panties at all for a few days. Not even for bathroom duties, and to cut a little hole for 'nr 2' as I couldnt remove them . It was strange.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #39
Looking4somename
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via ICQ to Looking4somename Send a message via AIM to Looking4somename Send a message via MSN to Looking4somename Send a message via Yahoo to Looking4somename

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyou View Post
who cares about spelling at all who cares about grammer
I do...
I can't read any message that has too many grammer and spelling issues. It just annoys me to the point I wanna stab myself in the eye to avoid this.

Seriously, it's not so hard to either learn English or get a spell-check thingy. And if you tend to have typos, you can just run over the message before submitting it and correct most of them.

"You know, these clothes do not fancy you at all. It should be a dress or nothing... I happen to have no dress in my cabin." (Captain Jack Sparrow)

...Some of the want to get used by you
Old 11-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #40
userben
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via Yahoo to userben

I would like to add something from a medical stand point. I have adhd and Dyslexia and because of the my spelling and grammar are horrible and I’m 18 sometimes people cant help it and yes I use the spell check on word most of the times but other I’m just in a hurry so stop point out people error because it make them discouraged to post again and it drive them away some people just cant help it even when they use spell check
Old 11-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #41
Sum
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glutgod View Post
I have got to know where you would find that... I could annoy the hell out of any one If that got in my hands, (not here of course.) Supprisingly though I could read all of that perfect.
Sorry for the delayed reply this is the one i used

7r4n5|4735 1n70 7w0 d1ff3rn7 f0rm5 0f |337

+|2@|\|$|@+3$ 1|\|+0 +\X/0 [)1|=|=3|2|\|+ |=0|2|\/|$ 0|= |33+

translates into two differnt forms of leet

Fire walk with me

I'm off to kinktalk. Bye all.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:28 AM   #42
xdressslave

Send a message via MSN to xdressslave Send a message via Yahoo to xdressslave
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstrip View Post
If english is not your first language, then it is excuseable.

Otherwise, learn to type right! I don't mind the odd misspelling, we all get our fingers in a twist occasionaly and a typo appears, or of course, you don't actually know how to spell the word.

Just before clicking that "Submit Reply" button, does it really hurt to take 2 minutes out and check your spellings?

MSN spellings such as "u" for "you", "l8rs" for "laters" etc, are for MSN. 1337 speak is to be banned outright.

On a forum, such as this one, people are to be intelligible and sensible and have a certain amount of etiquette for other forum users.

Personally, I type like this 90% of the time. I don't use much text speek or MSN slang as I feel that doing so is killing the english language.

Here's an idea, from now on all badly spelt posts shall be either ignored, moved to trash, or the subject shall be altered so that the poster corrects themselves if he/she wants the information they want.

Who's with me? Yay or nay?

EDIT:

I also have to hide this from my family, but typing well in the first place isn't that hard. We're not asking you to check every word with a dictionary, but all we want is you to type properly in the first place. I would expect people to be able to do so with 99% of their words. The odd misspelling is excuseable.
I 100% agree!

I don't mind words occasionally misspelled, I'm not a nazi like that. But, what really grinds my gears, is people who don't use punctuation.

Sum dont even use a comma or anything like that so theyre toal paragraf that dey write just go on an on an u hav to reread things and try nd break up what dey is sayin just so u cn grasp the point of dem making dat post in de first place

Also, depp or another system op (aka Admin) should be able to use the bad words filters to try and prevent some of the SMS talk being on the forums. Simple search and replace features would replace all words u, r and gr8 into you, are and great respectively. Would make the forums look alot more cleaner, and of course easier to access for international visitors.

**Edit: I originally directed this post against userben. But after reading his post above, I have edited that out, because I think that people who have a disability should not be discouraged to post. Perhaps though, for these people, I think it is moderators responsibilities to ensure that the forums read properly for all users.

I think this can be expanded upon. Because mods just generally see their role as locking topics/moving topics to other forums, etc. But they don't go even further. A moderators job, is to ensure that the forums contents are legible as well. So mods should use their powers of editing posts, so that they can fix up peoples bad grammer. I think grammer is more important to fix up than spelling. Because grammer makes the forums much easier to read.

Correct grammer would also increase getDares activity because more users from other non-speaking languages can effectivly use translation tools to read getDare correctly. Web spiders would also be able to index more pages, and increase the flow of traffic of visitors coming into getDare.

Last edited by xdressslave; 11-22-2007 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Didnt want to offend someone disabled
Old 11-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #43
depp
SysOp

I don't see a rule against bad spelling. We do however expect people to try. Was the staff member me? I was posting drunk late last week and had to fix a few things later.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:10 AM   #44
xdressslave

Send a message via MSN to xdressslave Send a message via Yahoo to xdressslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by depp View Post
... Was the staff member me? I was posting drunk late last week and had to fix a few things later.
Are you sure you're not drunk now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdressslave View Post
...**Edit: I originally directed this post against userben...
Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #45
Powerstrip
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to Powerstrip Send a message via Yahoo to Powerstrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by depp View Post
I don't see a rule against bad spelling.
Could there be one made, please?

To discourage text speak and 1337 speak. Normal sentence structure and grammar isn't too hard, is it?

I am looking for a mistress. Please PM me if interested
Closed Thread