Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

View Poll Results: Should GetDare allow dedicated local language threads?
Yes, and I am about to start a thread for Northern Sentinelese and/or Klingon 6 54.55%
No, this is an English forum - so learn the language or find a similar forum in your own language 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2016, 02:18 AM   #1
Runesmith
Stranger with candy

Nuclear Individual language threads

Suddenly, local language threads have started proliferating on GetDare, and in my opinion, this is extremely ill advised. I am a non-native English speaker, but I joined this forum because I can string a few words together adequately in this international language. If I couldn't, or if I wished to stay within my comfort zone, I would have found a similar forum in my native language.

Starting threads for finding people who live in the same country/region is fine, but those dedicated to each language segregate the community, and distracts people. Like it or not, English is the international language, and it brings people together. Yes, people like I make spelling and grammatical mistakes in English - but should we resort to creating threads for every language in the world as a result? What is this - the UN, for crying out loud?

Rant over. Since we all believe in democracy, let's have an EU referendum (that's declaration of civil war, in American terms) - should the local language threads continue, or should they be banned?

Like all EU referenda, this has absolutely no legal validity.
To play with me, you must be able to prove your gender.

Runesmith's Forgiveness thread - you're gonna need this

My stories:
Non-consensual Roleplay With a Stranger
The Cabin in The Woods
The Shanghai Girl
Palace on The Beach

My poems (yeah, poems):
The Winter

Last edited by Runesmith; 06-26-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Runesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:40 AM   #2
Gyev

I get what you mean, however I strongly support the idea of such "segregation". At the same time I have to say that I dislike using my native language in international forum, unless there is a certain section dedicated for doing so.

In case of these threads, it helps people of different nationalities to get in touch. It is the best way to find each other, especially when - like me - you do not have put a country in your location below avatar. Similarly, many people would expect meeting someone in person, what may be difficult when you enter, for instance, a section where advertisments are posted - I have never seen any person there from my country. This is why such "segregation" is helpful.

The argument about the purpose of that forum and idea of "stick to your native ones if you want to speak your native language" is really bad argument - GetDare is unique, it is hard (if not impossible) to find similar forum somewhere else.

And honestly speaking, there are plenty threads which I do not even bother to enter - you can do the same with threads you mention. I can understand however, that the Lounge may not be perfect place to create such threads, but there is no any better.

PS. I am not going to vote in a poll for the reason it is not properly done.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:04 AM   #3
Runesmith
Stranger with candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyev View Post
It is the best way to find each other, especially when - like me - you do not have put a country in your location below avatar.
As I mentioned in my post, geographically specific threads for meeting people would be a good use for such threads. However, even in such cases, using the native language is segregatory. Should an immigrant in Krakow who has not yet learned Polish be excluded from your thread? Or should they start a "Turkish thread for Poland?" When you get to that, things start devolving rapidly.

My main contention against language threads is that creative ideas in such threads will not be shared with the community in general - which goes against the idea of a forum.

As for the problem you mention, that I quoted above - add your country (and region, if you wish) to your profile and the problem is solved.

My stories:
The Cabin in The Woods
The Shanghai Girl
Palace on The Beach

My poems (yeah, poems):
The Winter
Old 06-26-2016, 03:19 AM   #4
Gyev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runesmith View Post
As I mentioned in my post, geographically specific threads for meeting people would be a good use for such threads. However, even in such cases, using the native language is segregatory. Should an immigrant in Krakow who has not yet learned Polish be excluded from your thread? Or should they start a "Turkish thread for Poland?" When you get to that, things start devolving rapidly.

My main contention against language threads is that creative ideas in such threads will not be shared with the community in general - which goes against the idea of a forum.
If the immigrant haven't learned Polish yet, then he/she should speak English to communicate with the rest. On the other hand, I doubt if that situation will occur - and it may be more comfortable for certain people to speak in a native language.

Although I prefer to speak English in multinational places like this one, I get why people in such threads prefer to speak their own language. It makes the communication easier, and there is actually no reason to speak English. For example: if "Polish thread" to which you refer would be in English language, would you like to participate anyway? I bet you wouldn't, as well as the others. So what is the point of speaking English, if no one outside of Poland is interested?

Regarding immigrants, we do not have problem with them. If they do not speak Polish they must have difficulties in real life anyway, even during buying bread in a store. So most likely such immigrant would be able to communicate at least on basic level, and maybe participating in that thread would improve his linguistic skills.

Quote:
As for the problem you mention, that I quoted above - add your country (and region, if you wish) to your profile and the problem is solved.
Yes, I can. But I do not want to, and apparently many other people share my thoughts on that matter. Just because I would put my location doesn't change a fact, that other people won't do the same.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:49 AM   #5
LitDarkness
Truth or Dare Zealot

Default Well, disregarding the improper poll....

Quote:
Suddenly, local language threads have started proliferating on GetDare, and in my opinion, this is extremely ill advised. I am a non-native English speaker, but I joined this forum because I can string a few words together adequately in this international language. If I couldn't, or if I wished to stay within my comfort zone, I would have found a similar forum in my native language.

Yes, we agree that this is ill advised. This has a potential to cause problems. We don't agree on why.

The problem is even though native speakers would understand (and some would probably stop it) that if you don't speak the language it can lead to a easy way for trolls and shit. And turn into a place to trash.

Not everyone will understand the language. This really isn't too big of a cause for concern as native speakers (there will always be good ones.) will probably try to keep that from being the case. But, they can only do so much.

Also, most of the moderators only speak English, (not sure but think that's the case, didn't check). So how do they moderate these threads? It's just to easy to sneak things past.

Starting threads for finding people who live in the same country/region is fine, but those dedicated to each language segregate the community, and distracts people. Like it or not, English is the international language, and it brings people together. Yes, people like I make spelling and grammatical mistakes in English - but should we resort to creating threads for every language in the world as a result? What is this - the UN, for crying out loud?

Same country and area is fine. As for distracting people, that is doubtful. Yes, it can cause people to want to know what's going on. But, they can learn the language of that's the case.

Rant over. Since we all believe in democracy, let's have an EU referendum (that's declaration of civil war, in American terms) - should the local language threads continue, or should they be banned?

Like all EU referenda, this has absolutely no legal validity.
Do not care if they continue. Just wish they didn't take over the lounge, it pushes down other threads. And the lounge is already one of the least popular subforms.

Not going to vote in the poll, as Gyev is right, it is improperly done.

30/1,603 edges+ 2 more days of denial after edges
Make My Denial Harder
Denial Diary
6,000th post tasks and reports

Likes + Limits
Stuff I Can Use for Dares
BDSM Test Results
PM DARES
Stories & Poems

Spelling or Grammar Mistake: Let Me Know
Help Break My Cursing Habit

Live with people and do not own toys. Keep in mind when daring me please.

Not your bitch and calling me names or trying to Dom me is probitted. Violators will be declared as idiots.
LitDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
Runesmith
Stranger with candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKidWithSkills View Post
Not going to vote in the poll, as Gyev is right, it is improperly done. [/B]
Come on, does it think I would ever initiate a free and fair vote? That would be so unlike me.

My stories:
The Cabin in The Woods
The Shanghai Girl
Palace on The Beach

My poems (yeah, poems):
The Winter
Old 06-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Most of the people who have posted in non-English threads, including me, are regular members who are very capable of stringing together a few English words... And I'm pretty sure that a lot are just curious to see who else is speaking their language, from the same country/area, etc. and not doing so to segregate.

Just out of curiosity... there is also a thread for British members Do you think this thread should be banned too even if it is in English? Because, you know... "segregation"...

Quote:
Since we all believe in democracy, let's have an EU referendum (that's declaration of civil war, in American terms) - should the local language threads continue, or should they be banned?
That's not how it works Your thread is just a poll to see how others feel about it, not a referendum. At the end of the day it is still the staff members who decide whether or not such trends can continue or they should go.
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #8
Runesmith
Stranger with candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMissChievous View Post
Just out of curiosity... there is also a thread for British members Do you think this thread should be banned too even if it is in English? Because, you know... "segregation"...
Actually, it should be banned. That thread is nothing but trouble (ever since I posted on it )

On a serious note, yeah, it should be banned. Politics should be discussed somewhere else.

Quote:
That's not how it works Your thread is just a poll to see how others feel about it, not a referendum. At the end of the day it is still the staff members who decide whether or not such trends can continue or they should go.
I see you missed my legal disclaimer right at the bottom of my post .

Just like the British referendum, this poll has no legal validity. A forum is actually a meritocracy, which means the staff and mods decide what is the best direction for the forum (unlike a democracy).

The Kid raised a valid point, though. How well do you think you could moderate those threads? Should one of those threads veer in to a topic such as child abuse, or becomes a platform for spammers, are you confident you would be able to take care of those before damage is done? We all know how easy it is to add intentional spelling mistakes and contractions in to key words to confuse Google Translate.

My stories:
The Cabin in The Woods
The Shanghai Girl
Palace on The Beach

My poems (yeah, poems):
The Winter
Old 06-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

My last point was more of a joke than anything else because i saw irony in complaining about segregation and yet making a post for those who don't like these threads which, if you look at it objectively, is also divisive But, no, I didn't take your comment too seriously either

The thing is that these threads are nothing really new. In 9 years I have seem others pop up, or things like "Anyone from Melbourne, Ohio, Africa, whatever". These stay up for a little while then die of natural causes. Unless there is nothing else in the Lounge of course. And Kid's comment about the Lounge being one of the least popular forums right got me to think of something else: there was a time that this portion of the site was actually a lot more active than it is now. In fact, it was one of the most popular ones before such sub-forums like Bets & Challenges and Messengers took over. When those weren't around people posted a lot more here and were actually interacting with each other!

So here's a novel idea: instead of debating whether some already existing threads should be banned, why not posting other topics for discussion? And I don't mean just you, OP, or people who don't like the non-English posts... I mean everyone (including myself). That's something I would like to see a lot more than seeing some existing topics go

As far as what is allowed or not in the Lounge in general... Lounges, in any forums, are always more lax in what kis allowed and not allowed. So, yes, moderation is there but in general we won't ban topics such as politics or religion even if it makes some people uncomfortable. You always have the option not to read if you don't like a particular topic. If something gets out of hand we do all we can to the best of our abilities to moderate but regular members also have a responsibility in reporting content that is inappropriate or potentially harmful. So what is posted in any thread isn't just the moderators' responsibility, but everyone's.
The following user says Thank You to SubMissChievous for this post:
Old 06-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #10
cloudness
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Most of the people who have posted in non-English threads, including me, are regular members who are very capable of stringing together a few English words... And I'm pretty sure that a lot are just curious to see who else is speaking their language, from the same country/area, etc. and not doing so to segregate.

My British thread is political, and has nothing to do with what languages are spoken on getdare xD

on topic. I don't think it really matters, just because getdare is a mainly English speaking forum, doesn't mean their should not be threads for people to speak their own language, as long as it don't spiral out of control I don't see any harm
Old 06-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #11
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudness View Post
My British thread is political, and has nothing to do with what languages are spoken on getdare xD
I know I guess what I was getting at is that since it is addressed mostly for Brits (although I guess anyone interested can chime in) that some could say it is aimed at a specific group and "segregating".

I was also genuinely curious to ask because it will be Canada's National Day very soon and I had planned on starting a special thread for Canadians
Old 06-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #12
cloudness
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
I know I guess what I was getting at is that since it is addressed mostly for Brits (although I guess anyone interested can chime in) that some could say it is aimed at a specific group and "segregating".

I was also genuinely curious to ask because it will be Canada's National Day very soon and I had planned on starting a special thread for Canadians
I actually love Canada xD I have a huge Canadian flag and it's my dream to go their one day :O, infact one of my best Canadian friends is from Getdare, although he got banned for been silly xD

as for the British thread, yeah I made it as I hate the whole brexit vote, and was asking my fellow Brits to petition against it mainly because, it is a British problem, although I don't mind if others comment on their feelings to ^^

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
languages, segregation, threads