Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 06-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #661
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
It is not a 'plan' to make things higher stakes every year, that just happens because the writers want to top what was done last time.

I know opinions can't technically be wrong, but yours just are.
For want of a better word, I used plan. I meant what you said - thanks for putting it better

And every opinion is valid.
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #662
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

I didn't much like Rory either, I find him kind of dull and awkward.
Other than that, I liked the episode, but I can kind of see what other said about it being a bit too much for them to get out of.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #663
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop View Post
I didn't much like Rory either, I find him kind of dull.
He's been hit-and-miss for me. As I said, a bit "meh". But I liked his character in the finale and I think he'll continue to grow. Up until tonight, he was the diddering boyfriend who was under Amy's thumb (still is really) but I think he'll shine. A little like Mickey who started out as the "tin dog/spare part" and then grew into his own independant character.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #664
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop View Post

Other than that, I liked the episode, but I can kind of see what other said about it being a bit too much for them to get out of.
At least this had some kind of decent explanation which was cleverly threaded throughout the series, unlike, say the awful resolution to "The End of Time".

I just realised I may have controversial opinions here. I don't care much for "The End of Time".
Old 06-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #665
Amelie
getDare Sweetheart

Why do the recent assistants need to have boyfriends?

They never did in the past. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION DAVROS
Old 06-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #666
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
Why do the recent assistants need to have boyfriends?

They never did in the past. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION DAVROS
They did in the past, sometimes ^_^ THERE YOU GO AMELIE
Old 06-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #667
Leopard
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

At least this had some kind of decent explanation which was cleverly threaded throughout the series, unlike, say the awful resolution to "The End of Time".

I just realised I may have controversial opinions here. I don't care much for "The End of Time".

I despise The End of Time. It felt bleh and cheap, I hate Donna, and most importantly of all: "Oh hi Rose I know you love me but look here's my clone you can love it instead and get it out of my way kthx" I would have slapped him silly.

"Sometimes his companion's a metal dog."
Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 AM   #668
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Now I've had some sleep... xD

It was still fantastic. Nobody will change my opinion, but feel free to disagree. There were some plot holes but in a story where the end of the Universe had happened and reality was fucked up majorly, well, I don't care much.

I adore the use of pre-destination paradoxes and it was a clever get-out for the Doctor, just this once. People are already saying it's cheap and lazy - arguably, but it hasn't been done before. So obvious, so simple, so great. Just like the "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" - a work of genius.

Young Amy touching the Pandorica and bringing Amy back to life. Convulted? Convenient. Maybe. But at least Moffat has consistency. I mean, "The Lodger" had a spaceship which required the "right touch" to get started again. The Dalek Progenitor required the "right voice" to activate. So even if it is a bit daft, at least it's been foreshadowed properly. Unlike, say, the Hand in the Jar which just happens to be handy (pun intended) and a cheap way out with no previous hint or explanation.

Rory. It seems I'm in a majority (here, anyway). I love the bloke. He's a doddering but loveable husband/companion. He's loyal to Amy - however mean she is/was to him, he stood by her box for 2000 years. He's great for one-liners and, for me, he helps build Amy's character.

This year, Amy's seemed a bit 2D. Maybe this was due to a lack of family. Probably was. Interesting to give her a family in the last 20 minutes of a series. So, really, Rory was the only "family" she had and I think it was much interesting with the two of them. And even though it was a dream, the characters in "Amy's Choice" really grew together and were brilliant. Much better than Mickey already. And the Doctor has someone to bounce off, as well as Amy. I just love the current Team TARDIS and I hope they all stick around for another series or two.

River Song. She used to bug me, she still does, but not as much. I'm bored of her "spoilers" and "hello sweetie" shtick. Is that all she can do? Her first appearance annoyed me but it made sense. It was fun, mysterious. She was part of the Doctor's life but we didn't know how and why and when. Neither did the Doctor. A great idea never been done before in the show. But now she pops up here, there and everywhere and she's becoming more and more limited and restrained. I'll give her another chance to see if "everything changes" though.

The Doctor in a fez. Brilliant. Roll on the costume changes/tweaks next year ^_^

With regards to the finale in general... I loved the complete change of tone from "TPO". I also liked how the Pandorica was the plot device but it worked. It didn't magically turn into a "save everyone's life" machine. It kept people alive (which is obvious for a prison built by aliens to trap the Doctor - the worst punishment for an almost-immortal man) and because it could do so, it also stored atoms from the moments pre-Universal End. So throwing it into the Big Bang 2 which was exploding at every point in time does sorta make sense. (We have to remember this is science fantasy and the Universe has just gone boom.)

So yeah. Just a bit more from me.

10/10
Old 06-27-2010, 04:10 AM   #669
Leopard
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Pretty much agree with Doctor on all above. I didn't find the finale silly at all, I was really relieved it wasn't just rah the big evil darlek king vs the doctor and oh he saves it all; instead it was a whole load of jumps through time all the way along with some quick action and a whole lot of slower stuff going on at its own pace. Fantastic.

River Song has been getting more and more annoying, Rory has been getting better and better, Amy is a love/hate depending on her mood (loud and happy she's annoying >.>) the new Doctor is fantastic.

Not convinced that any of the episodes topped The Girl in the Fireplace / Blink though, as much as I was looking forward to the return of the angels and loved the series overall.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #670
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

I agree the series is still finding it's feet. Glad they've left a lot of RTD stuff alone bar the few exceptions like River and the Angels. Finale was good but it was all very 'don't worry we'll never have existed'. It was too relaxed. I agree with certain bit's of humor like the Fez. "i wear a fez now". But it was far to relaxed and bits like stealing the drink and making Amelia(little one) disappear seemed well pointless. Also the Moon had the Cybermen originally back in there first appearance after going into hibernation because of the cold. And the Cybermen never existed yet the moon did... Since they were a different type of Cybermen it's forgivable they didn't exist but the moon still shouldn't have been there since other planets and stars were never there.

Say what you like it was really cheesy at the end. They always are more or less but this one was just too cheesy. Too happy an ending. Amy's whole family back, the DOctor lives and the TARDIS, Rory human, Happy wedding. DId really enjoy the Vortex time travel and the brilliant way the DOctor was explaining his plan which i followed unlike Rory.
Rory i finally like. Well i like Auton Rory. regardless though i think it hasn't matched RTD finales but still a good episode 8/10
Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #671
Leopard
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
Glad they've left a lot of RTD stuff alone bar the few exceptions like River and the Angels.
Both of those are Moffat's, not RTD's. TBH I feel the angels could live up to much more potential.

I'm guessing they may do River as a future companion? But honestly that's going to feel incredibly anticlimactic. I'm sick of Hello Sweetie too.

Looking back, I have to admit previous finales weren't nearly as bad as I thought. Season 1... was ... eh, okay? I guess? Season 2, Doomsday, had one of the most fantastic few moments of film I've seen, Doctor and Rose separated on either side of the same wall, as well as my favourite piece of music from the show. Season 3, was, well, epic. It went forever and the Master was glorious. Season 4 was shit, and that's what made me think of the previous finales as so meh.

I think that Season 5's finale deserves to stand with those others. Though completely different in presentation, pacing, etc. it was a wonderful change.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #672
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard View Post
Pretty much agree with Doctor on all above. I didn't find the finale silly at all, I was really relieved it wasn't just rah the big evil darlek king vs the doctor and oh he saves it all; instead it was a whole load of jumps through time all the way along with some quick action and a whole lot of slower stuff going on at its own pace. Fantastic.

River Song has been getting more and more annoying, Rory has been getting better and better, Amy is a love/hate depending on her mood (loud and happy she's annoying >.>) the new Doctor is fantastic.

Not convinced that any of the episodes topped The Girl in the Fireplace / Blink though, as much as I was looking forward to the return of the angels and loved the series overall.
Exactly. It could've been a big battle-type episode but it went against usual storytelling and gave us quite a slow finale in clever ways. It felt much longer than it was (this being a good thing) and attempted to explain everything in such a way that it all made sense. And once you get it, it does make sense.

River doesn't annoy me anymore - her and Eleven are great, but she's becoming boring for me. I hope she turns around with a surprise next year. Also, more love for the Smith! Fantastic actor! Much better than Tennant already.

This, for me, topped "Blink" and "TGitF". In fact, it's in my top five of all time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
I agree the series is still finding it's feet. Glad they've left a lot of RTD stuff alone bar the few exceptions like River and the Angels. Finale was good but it was all very 'don't worry we'll never have existed'. It was too relaxed. I agree with certain bit's of humor like the Fez. "i wear a fez now". But it was far to relaxed and bits like stealing the drink and making Amelia(little one) disappear seemed well pointless. Also the Moon had the Cybermen originally back in there first appearance after going into hibernation because of the cold. And the Cybermen never existed yet the moon did... Since they were a different type of Cybermen it's forgivable they didn't exist but the moon still shouldn't have been there since other planets and stars were never there.

Say what you like it was really cheesy at the end. They always are more or less but this one was just too cheesy. Too happy an ending. Amy's whole family back, the DOctor lives and the TARDIS, Rory human, Happy wedding. DId really enjoy the Vortex time travel and the brilliant way the DOctor was explaining his plan which i followed unlike Rory.
Rory i finally like. Well i like Auton Rory. regardless though i think it hasn't matched RTD finales but still a good episode 8/10
Cybermen? You mean Silurians...? The Cybies started out with Mondas drainage etc. The Silurians were the ones who went into hibernation. And we know reality is fucked, a great explanation for why the moon remained. I adored the end. Gone are the awful "WHAT WHAT WHAT" hams, gone are the mopes ("Journey's End") and gone are the "end of the series" feel. This is the very first time we've had a TARDIS team stay together so it deserves a happy ending. This story is only just beginning. And the Doctor's dancing is brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard View Post
Both of those are Moffat's, not RTD's. TBH I feel the angels could live up to much more potential.

I'm guessing they may do River as a future companion? But honestly that's going to feel incredibly anticlimactic. I'm sick of Hello Sweetie too.

Looking back, I have to admit previous finales weren't nearly as bad as I thought. Season 1... was ... eh, okay? I guess? Season 2, Doomsday, had one of the most fantastic few moments of film I've seen, Doctor and Rose separated on either side of the same wall, as well as my favourite piece of music from the show. Season 3, was, well, epic. It went forever and the Master was glorious. Season 4 was shit, and that's what made me think of the previous finales as so meh.

I think that Season 5's finale deserves to stand with those others. Though completely different in presentation, pacing, etc. it was a wonderful change.
Hmm, River as companion? I'm iffy. I wouldn't mind but I'd prefer for her to be a Jack and just pop up here and there, independantly. Also, Moffat says we'll find out who she is next year so maybe her story will come to a close. Time will tell.

My thoughts, generally...

S27: Epic ending for Nine and a great finale for the brand new series. Daleks, Emporer Daleks, Big Brother etc., battles, deaths... and it all took place in one area which was quite cool because it felt so epic.

S28: A fantastic finale ruined by the mess in "Journey's End".

S29: Ugh. I hate this. Lowest rated Who for me. (Ties with "The End of Time" in the bottom five of all time.)

S30: The plot was daft, it was messy, it was weird, it was bonkers. But I adore it. I can make sense of it. I love it. (Let's just pretend Beach.2 never happened).

("The End of Time") Fucking dreadful.

S31: Brilliant. Genius. My favourite of the bunch.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #673
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

The third series would have been a good finale had the ending not been due to some witchcraft or whatever the hell the explanation for the doctors recovery. THe world is saved by an incompetent companion who is useless throughout but saves the world somehow??? Utopia was brilliant and the episode after was good but ruined after the aging of the Doctor.

Journeys End was quite good i thought and made sense in until they stopped the reality bomb which would have cause a paradox as Rose wouldn't have needed to go to our universe had it never exploded. And End of time we can forget quite a lot to be fair. Poor acting, Bad story line. It was lined up brilliantly with the master as everyone even if his reappearance was dodgy. But the reappearance of Galifrey should never have happened. And along with The giant Cyberman in london, The Daleks mass in stolen earth, And Planet trying to kill the earth you have to say well done Moffat for not letting them ever happen.

Needless to say i adored the first two finales And this one matches it on the biases that other mistakes are erased

Though role on series 6 and i pray the Cybermen will return but upgraded.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #674
Leopard
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

Yeah the whole aging / end of season 3 was stupid, but the Master himself was glorious, esp. the parliament scenes
Old 06-28-2010, 04:54 AM   #675
Star Shadows
Prodigy

Spoiler:
[FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]My mam thinks Rivers is going to take up the thing as the next doctor once this one has ran out of regenerations... something about only the doctor being able to fly the TARDIS when it seems she can. [/COLOR][/FONT]

Do not ask me for to be your slave, your mistress, or to give you truths or dares. You're wasting your time.

Informative threads:
Anonymous S/M advice service**PM ME**GET S/M ADVICE**

WORSHIPS RACHIE
Star Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood