Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge > Advice Section

Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
Jaro
The toe sucking anal slut

Default About handcuffs

It has been suggested more than once that I buy these which also makes sense because I'm really into (self) bondage.

But I'm a bit wary. I don't have a partner right now so how safe are these to use alone? How much risk is there that the locking mechanism would fail? How difficult is it to open these behind your back? Could you do a hogtie with these relatively safely?

Also, what type of handcuffs should I then buy? I think there are many different types. I also think the type you buy in sex shops mostly come with a safety latch which means you can always open them without a key. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Worm owned by
Princess Butterfly

Likes & LimitsToys

Check out my truths and dares here

Jaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Switch528
Distinguished Member

Speaking from experience it can be hard to get out. I don't see anyway the locking mechanism could fail, there are less mechanics to it than a traditional lock.

It can be done. Just the other day I did a task and closed the cuff with the key hole facing the opposite direction that how I would hold the key. Fortunately it was not a situation where my other hand secured so I could easily use my free hand to get the lock undone. If It had been, I am not 100% confident I could have gotten them off

You would have no problem with just having your hands cuffed to do chores or something like that.

Hog tied... well... maybe I'll try it with my wife present and see if I can get out and let you know. I think it would be really difficult though.
Switch528 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Switch528 for this post:
Old 07-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
The_Dared
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via AIM to The_Dared

Ok, so, handcuffs, I've played with them some before, and as such, I will give what advice I can.

I strongly agree with everything stated above and want to add to it. There is definitely a right and a wrong way to put on handcuffs where you can either reach the locking mechanism easily or not at all. Practice with the cuffs in front of you to get comfortable with how they feel and what it takes to unlock them. When you first use them, don't add any other bandage that would restrict your movement until you get a good feeling for how restricted you can be before you run into trouble with unlocking.

Same goes for when you start locking your hands behind you, start with just the cuffs. When locking them behind your back, be really careful to make sure the locking mechanism is facing the right way. You could always put one cuff on one of your wrists in front of yourself so you can be sure that at least one side is correct.

As always, with self bondage, practice each piece in isolation and slowly add pieces together and make sure that they work the way you were planning on. The last thing you want when playing is to be surprised by something combining poorly with something else and then you are stuck. Oh, also, remember that cuffs won't be forgiving like rope, when you struggle in them, they will dug into you.

Good luck though and have fun.

Lock me in my clothes

PM Dares!

Likes and Limits
The_Dared is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to The_Dared for this post:
Old 07-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #4
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

If it was me, I would go with a rope and slip Knott. Handcuffs are made for the wrist only, for the ankles you need shackles, a larger form of a handcuff. Can they screw up, of course there mechanical, too much dirt, or even say you put it on behind your back, and you got some of your shirt jammed in while closing it and it got on the teeth, it can jam it open or closed. So it's up to you, check out the buyers review at the site were your going to buy them.

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]
MasterMichaelNY is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to MasterMichaelNY for this post:
Old 07-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #5
The_Dared
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via AIM to The_Dared

@MasterMichael, please be very careful with the appropriate use of slip knots in self bondage! When used properly, they can be very effective tools for strict self bondage, but when used wrong, the results could be lack of blood circulation, or worse (including death).

There is no real way to up the restrictive nature of self bandage with out also upping the risks. To minimize risk, just be sure to take your time and study your equipment and your technique. be safe, and have fun.

Lock me in my clothes

PM Dares!

Likes and Limits
The_Dared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #6
MasterMichaelNY
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dared View Post
@MasterMichael, please be very careful with the appropriate use of slip knots in self bondage! When used properly, they can be very effective tools for strict self bondage, but when used wrong, the results could be lack of blood circulation, or worse (including death).

There is no real way to up the restrictive nature of self bandage with out also upping the risks. To minimize risk, just be sure to take your time and study your equipment and your technique. be safe, and have fun.
Thank you for that safety note.

Truthfully, to minimize the risk, get yourself a partner, and go to bondage classes, lots of them, and have fun.

Kik, MasterMichaelNY
Email, [email protected]
MasterMichaelNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #7
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroface View Post
Also, what type of handcuffs should I then buy? I think there are many different types. I also think the type you buy in sex shops mostly come with a safety latch which means you can always open them without a key. Is this true?
As far as I know most of them come with a quick release but that's certainly something you may want to check with the salesperson if you go to a sex shop. I don't know about where you live but here we can ask the staff to open packages and show us the merchandise and ask all the questions necessary. So if you can and feel comfortable (hopefully you do) that's probably the best thing to do.

But concerning safety: while it is a good idea to check for that quick release you may also want to consider a few other things with handcuffs. Some of them are definitely safer than others both for self-bondage and long-term usage.

The most popular pick for kinksters are the good ol' metal ones. The problem with those is that they are not particularly safe because they were not originally designed for kinky play but to restrain criminals Cops don't care if the cuffs cut off blood circulation, leave nasty marks or even cause nerve damage on the bad guys So if you plan to do some relatively intricate self-bondage or to wear them for some longer periods of time you may want to consider another option.

Personally if I were to shop for handcuffs I would go for leather ones. These are a lot safer when it comes to avoiding injuries or marks (the risks are very low). With many of them you can easily remove the chain between the cuffs, adjust the length, replace with a longer chain, etc.

And yet there is also the option of binding yourself with rop cuffs. On this site you may find a few variations. I have used rope cuffs myself many times with no problem. The only downside I saw was that it takes a little practice to do because self-binding hands isn't quite as easy as some other body parts. But it's not super complicated either and has the advantage of being cheaper of course. If you use these make sure to have a pair of safety scissors nearby just in case
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to SubMissChievous for this post:
Old 11-03-2016, 02:01 AM   #8
Jaro
The toe sucking anal slut

I made this post a long while ago but I'm still confused how handcuffs could be safely used in self-bondage. I don't really think they can be.

- The metal ones are too uncomfortable and dangerous in the ways that SubMissChievous stated, especially if I were to try something like a hogtie with them.
- The metal ones pretty much always come with a quick-release which makes me wonder why they actually even provide keys with them too.
- The leather ones seem great but I don't think they can be used in self-bondage. Looks like you just cannot put them on by yourself, let alone take them off again.

My conclusion at this point is that the slip knot mechanism may be best in self-bondage.

Any other ideas/experiences/suggestions?

Worm owned by
Princess Butterfly

Likes & LimitsToys

Check out my truths and dares here

Jaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
Sagarkoe
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroface View Post
I made this post a long while ago but I'm still confused how handcuffs could be safely used in self-bondage. I don't really think they can be.

- The metal ones are too uncomfortable and dangerous in the ways that SubMissChievous stated, especially if I were to try something like a hogtie with them.
- The metal ones pretty much always come with a quick-release which makes me wonder why they actually even provide keys with them too.
- The leather ones seem great but I don't think they can be used in self-bondage. Looks like you just cannot put them on by yourself, let alone take them off again.

My conclusion at this point is that the slip knot mechanism may be best in self-bondage.

Any other ideas/experiences/suggestions?
Well, first of all, let me say that i'm not a pro at selfbondage, i'm experienced but definitely not a pro, so don't just do anything i say...

I personally think that metal handcuffs are great for selfbondage, but it depends so much on how safe you are with them, for how long you want a session and the quality of the handcuffs.

I'll start with the quality and what you should and shouldn't buy.

- DON'T buy hinged handcuffs, they are great and make you feel even more immobilized but its really hard to get out of those without help, so yeh.
- Instead of hinged handcuffs get a pair with a small chain between them. Something like mine: These and i'm talking about the orange ones. With those you can still move your wrists so you can always reach the lock and with the keys you should always be able to get out.
- DON'T buy the ones with the quick-release thingies, i know that they make it really easy to get out but to be honest, thats not a good thing. In dangerous situations just make sure you have a safe key so you can remove the handcuffs but else you'll find yourself unlock the cuffs for every small thing and thats just way less fun, beside that they tend to be less quality and be really uncomfortable (i've had a pair of these and they were awfull). Also they don't really feel sturdy and i managed to break them (i'm not even that strong ._.).
- Do buy a pair with a double lock system, most of the time its like a little thing you can push in when you already have the handcuffs locked, with that you can't overtighten the handcuffs while moving ETC, blood flow is important so you want to make sure you have them with a double locking system.
- Don't buy the cheapest pair of handcuffs you can find, just look for some you like and which look good, you don't want a cheap pair and get it stuck somehow and not be able to get out, because yeh, thats the scary part.

Now abit about safety:
- Don't be stupid (pls, i don't want a death on my name).
- Always have a backup thing, a phone, extra keys, whatever but just so you can get out if you somehow don't manage too (which shouldn't happen).
- Don't go crazy with ways to handcuff yourself, never handcuff yourself to something above your head as when the keys fall your stuck, you can handcuff yourself behind your back without being in problems, i do that quite alot :P. Just make sure you have the scenarios planned out and don't get surprised by something.
- Make sure you test your release method :P, also make sure you don't stay in the metal cuffs too long, as they do get a bit uncomfortable after 2+ hours.
- Always use the double lock system, else you might get it too tight with no way out because its way harder to get out when your handcuffs are completely tightend.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask me more questions in PM's or something, i can also tell stuff about leather handcuffs as i own those aswell :P?

- Sagarkoeh :3.
Sagarkoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Sagarkoe for this post:

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
bondage, handcuffs, self bondage