Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
depp
SysOp

So, I'm about to start work on a complete redo of the site. I'll be rebuilding everything. So, what will be new you ask?

*Both Dare AND Truth questions
*Remote DARE (put dares on your website or MySpace)
*Dare SIG (add dares to your signatures in other forums)
*Minor forums changes (possible main template integration)

My question to all of you is do you like the design of the front page? I personally really hate it. Now... should the redesign include a new template? New colors? Also, are there any other (reasonable) features I should be working on?

-----------------
In unrelated news getDare was recently featured on RadioGoDaddy (as heard online and on XM Radio) in their "Strange Domains" segment. If anyone can find any information on that broadcast and what was said I would be forever grateful. :-D

https://www.radiogodaddy.com/gdshop/...ge_domains.asp
-----------------

-Depp (Your friendly Admin!)
Old 08-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
§corpion

I agree with you, I don't like the front page. And I don't mind the colors, but I don't like them either.
§corpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
DanBee

Personally, I would say 'why worry about a template, just design the whole thing yourself' however, I dont know if you know HTML coding. I am assuming you do, since you have a pretty tidy site atm, but who knows? lol... front page is normally a skip for me, i just jump straight to the forums..
DanBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
depp
SysOp

My final plan (I think) involves a uniform look. The forums, random truth/dare, the entry page. :)

Ohhh, yea... I do know HTML (and CSS, and a fair bit of PHP minus mySql). I would be doing the template.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:31 AM   #5
DanBee

Well, cant wait to see the new layout :D I only know HTML, learning PHP though, going to be doing some part time web design
DanBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:03 AM   #6
Muffinz

Yeah, I really dont look at the front page too often...I have the forum index bookmarked. I really dont like the orange motiff we have going on right now either...but I do realize it could be much worse. I think maybe a nice blue or silver look would be good...it would also go well with the banner Scorpion made.

Hmm...I think maybe it would be more organized and generally more user-friendly if we had a navigation bar along the left side of the pages. That way there would be easier access to the forums, I know a lot of people probably miss the little text link where it is right now. Also, you could break up the site a little better that way...like, a link for the forums, news/updates, the download stuff, dares, truths, etc. The navigation bar would allow instant access to wherever you want to go on the site, instead of having to return to the front page all the time. Also, it would allow for a badass entrance page, if desired. Something to catch people's interest more than a long front page of news and updates, which is what we have now.

Those are the only things I can really think of right now: easier navigation of the site, maybe new color scheme, and a more attention-getting entrance page. I'll think more on it and let you know if I come up with anything else.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:33 AM   #7
depp
SysOp

I started work today on a new look for the site. The front page will soon be ultra simplistic again. I think you guys will really like it. The design is really tight.

After the front page is finished and live... the forums will be moved away from PHPbb to a yet to be announced boards system. I think it's time the forums get a upgrade too. :-) Don't worry. All old content and users will be migrated to the new system. I expect these changes to happen within a few weeks. I'm really excited about the progress I have made.

Watch the boards. I will be announcing downtimes for portions of the site as I replace old things with the new.

More info to come. :D
Old 09-14-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
dareboy
Account Banned

yea i really agree that the site needs to be a lil redone differnt colors would be good such as like black and pink would look nice pick up the real t or d feel also you should have a main page and then have a seperate page for news and info it will make it easier to navigate! hope you get this Just wondering when do you think this new remodel will be done?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
userben
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via Yahoo to userben

black as the main color the have blue green and red
Old 09-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #10
Sum1
Account Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sum1 Send a message via MSN to Sum1 Send a message via Yahoo to Sum1

um that sounds horrid to me personaly userben but ay, i don't mind the current colour scheme, it doesn't divert the eye from what your reading at all, makes things clear, and is pretty indervidual.
Sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #11
dareboy
Account Banned

Black and red would look nice your right but i still cant agree wit sum1 cuz the orange makes it seem like like ur in a 70's living room lol no offence u hav a good point!
Old 09-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #12
userben
getDare Sweetheart

lol
Old 09-14-2005, 10:41 PM   #13
depp
SysOp

"Elite" members can see a preview of the new site in the Elite Member forums. We have a feedback thread going.

Ohhh... the new forums are going to be cool. They have a karma system so you can award posters points for being awesome. hehe
Old 09-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #14
Muffinz

I dont particularly like the orange, but I can agree with Sum1 in the sense that it really isnt hard on the eyes at all. Having a black background with red/pink/green whatever type would be awfully difficult to focus on, plus the fact that that color scheme is completely overused and cliched.

I think that having the karma system would be really neat...it would be a cool addition to the forums. I cant wait to see the new design, it appears to be shaping up quite nicely.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #15
userben
getDare Sweetheart

now have the text be lime green