Mysterious the 1st

not much is happening really though at the moment is it lol
Mysterious the 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #1127
Hunterman36
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

It's a show with a leading man who can change his whole appearance, attitude, and who is over 1000 years old. He has a time machine which can also travel in space, and the show's been running for over 45 years.

Just think I should say that he is only 907 years give or take 2or3 years
Hunterman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #1128
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

We don't actually know his age, He forgot Before his forth Regeneration and he's been guessing since, he claimed he was over a thousand years old once.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #1129
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterman36 View Post
Just think I should say that he is only 907 years give or take 2or3 years
Definitely over 1000, I'm afraid.

He's 950+ in his seventh incarnation, and even that's if he's telling the truth.
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #1130
Marsbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
If you were to advertise it to someone without them watching a episode how would you do it? and describe it?
I think this would be a hard sell for anybody who doesn't already watch. Unfortunately a lot of the appeal now is in the mythology the show has built up over the decades. Unless you're a total sci-fi nerd (who as a group are pretty much forced to hunt for good TV already) or a part of the built-in audience of viewers who grew up with the show there's not a lot there.
I mean, it's not like anybody's watching for the writing. It's all about the classic monsters.
Marsbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #1131
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsbound View Post
I think this would be a hard sell for anybody who doesn't already watch. Unfortunately a lot of the appeal now is in the mythology the show has built up over the decades. Unless you're a total sci-fi nerd (who as a group are pretty much forced to hunt for good TV already) or a part of the built-in audience of viewers who grew up with the show there's not a lot there.
I mean, it's not like anybody's watching for the writing. It's all about the classic monsters.
I'm 50/50 with this.

Episodes are standalone enough to welcome in new viewers. You don't need to know everything to join in. Plus, with iPlayer/YouTube, it's so easy to catch up with a series.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #1132
Marsbound

I dunno, catching up with a show that's been around since 1963 might take a while.
It's something I totally wish I could recommend that people do, because there was a lot more meat to the older serials than there is in the new series which has mostly been RTD drek (changing as of the Eleventh obviously but still under his shadow) and shiny plastic BBC props that somehow don't have the sincerity of the good old awful cardboard ones. For me that relegates it to light, tongue-in-cheek tacky sci-fi which just doesn't have the charm of its light, campy, but groundbreaking beginnings.

What saves it for me is the mythos it's built up over the years. Like, you yourself said you'd recommend it to people by describing the Doctor (as opposed to the stories or the writing quality or the spin of episodic setting-of-the-week sci-fi where the resolutions are handled with logic or courage but not violence).

That's not to say new viewers can't appreciate it--quite the opposite, it's obviously had a deliberate re-imagining and facelift to make it more appealing to fresh audiences who aren't going to go earlier than 2005. But the question what gives Doctor Who its appeal a tough one, because if I'm being honest, it's not really a matter of the show's standalone quality anymore.

Last edited by Marsbound; 02-19-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: tpyo
Marsbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #1133
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

It is quite an odd one.

I mean, I began with Tennant, yet I much prefer the old series and I have every DVD available with my favourites mainly being 63-89. Hum.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #1134
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

R.I.P. Nicholas Courtney

(16 December 1929 – 22 February 2011)

"Splendid chap!"
Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #1135
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:
R.I.P. Nicholas Courtney

(16 December 1929 – 22 February 2011)

"Splendid chap!"
has he died? not heard anything on the news about it.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #1136
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
has he died? not heard anything on the news about it.
Yeah. We found out via Clayton Hickman on Twitter, then the BBC website had a couple of reports. :/
Old 02-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #1137
jamness
Account Banned

Meh, doctor who hasnt been any good for a while in my opinion. Chris ecclestone was WICKED and the first series with tennant was okay. Then they ran out of monsters... and talent. Maybe I'll try again next series.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #1138
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamness View Post
Meh, doctor who hasnt been any good for a while in my opinion. Chris ecclestone was WICKED and the first series with tennant was okay. Then they ran out of monsters... and talent. Maybe I'll try again next series.
I don't know. I think S2 was a huge fall in quality, but Series 4 onwards soon picked up.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #1139
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:

I don't know. I think S2 was a huge fall in quality, but Series 4 onwards soon picked up.
I think it's luck of the draw with the episode. No matter what the series.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #1140
drvaleyard
getDare Sweetheart

Nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsbound View Post
I dunno, catching up with a show that's been around since 1963 might take a while.
It's something I totally wish I could recommend that people do, because there was a lot more meat to the older serials than there is in the new series which has mostly been RTD drek (changing as of the Eleventh obviously but still under his shadow) and shiny plastic BBC props that somehow don't have the sincerity of the good old awful cardboard ones. For me that relegates it to light, tongue-in-cheek tacky sci-fi which just doesn't have the charm of its light, campy, but groundbreaking beginnings.

What saves it for me is the mythos it's built up over the years. Like, you yourself said you'd recommend it to people by describing the Doctor (as opposed to the stories or the writing quality or the spin of episodic setting-of-the-week sci-fi where the resolutions are handled with logic or courage but not violence).

That's not to say new viewers can't appreciate it--quite the opposite, it's obviously had a deliberate re-imagining and facelift to make it more appealing to fresh audiences who aren't going to go earlier than 2005. But the question what gives Doctor Who its appeal a tough one, because if I'm being honest, it's not really a matter of the show's standalone quality anymore.
I got into Doctor Who through the new series. Also I believe New Who is designed, so you don't need to ever had to watch Classic Who. Although there are nods to Classic Who, since New Who extends from it.

I walked into Doctor Who in the middle of Parting of the Ways, Christopher Eccleston, the Ninth Doctor's last episode. BBC America was having a marathon and I was home sick that day. (Turns out being sick, turned me into a Whovian.) I being an American and never heard of Doctor Who was terribly confused, when the Ninth Doctor regenerated into David Tennant's Tenth Doctor. I thought the Ninth Doctor was abducted by aliens. During the Doctor Who marathon, I kept waiting for Christopher Eccleston to show up and expose David Tennant as an evil alien impostor. They did not show David Tennant's first full episode, The Christmas Invasion, which would of helped me understand what happened. It was not until a few weeks later, I googled Doctor Who and found out the truth.

I think you should start with (New) Doctor Who Series One. Christopher Eccleston is a great Doctor. Than David Tennant kicks the door down for Doctor Who. Tennant left Doctor Who, after making Doctor Who mainstream in England again and cult following in the US. Leaving a chance for Matt Smith to expand on the fame and hopefully turn Doctor Who mainstream in the US. You also might want to just start with Matt Smith and than look at the rest of New Who and finally go into Classic Who. Since Matt Smith is the current Doctor.

My Return and Regeneration!

This has been moved to my blog.

I have been away for a while and needed a fresh start. So read my update and Hello again!

LGBT Community Thread

drvaleyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood