Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Old 07-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
perverteddilusions

Exclamation Site going down

Hey, I'm a somewhat frequent getdare user, and I just saw that the site was down shortly. First of all, I'd like to ask why the site went down. Secondly, I'd like to ask if there's an official getdare social media page that someone like me can see in case it goes down in the future.
Ask me for a picture, and I'll deliver
STATUSES:63/365 edges till next orgasm. Add edges here
Talk with/stalk me:
Feel free to ask or dare me anything.
perverteddilusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
wolf82
Prodigy

I have no official reason, but my best guess was possibly a brief server issue. Or, they attempted to an update and something went screwy. (A guy I know has the latter issue every now and then.)

I wondered the same thing about social media so look forward to seeing an answer regarding that.

A dom just here to have a good time.

Sometimes I just browse, sometimes I interact.
wolf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
perverteddilusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf82 View Post
I have no official reason, but my best guess was possibly a brief server issue. Or, they attempted to an update and something went screwy. (A guy I know has the latter issue every now and then.)

I wondered the same thing about social media so look forward to seeing an answer regarding that.
Yeah, I doubt that there was a major issue, I'm just curious about what happened, and I'd like to know where I can go in case anything happens in the future.
Talk with/stalk me:
Old 07-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
Kisune Karnon
GetDare Ninja

Things like this happen when a moderator is making a change to the site. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only reason I would is if the site was done for hours with no warning. A few minutes isn't worth much worry.

Male/Married/Straight/Switch/32/190 lbs

Likes and Limits
Toys (So Far)
PM Dares
Utilizing Keywords Version 3
Kik: Kisune22

My goal is to give good dares and receive them because that is how I enjoy the game.
I will send reports when I choose to or if I am asked.
If you give me a repeated dare or a "do your own dare,"
I will be very disappointed because I like to be surprised and challenged.

Kisune Karnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
perverteddilusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisune Karnon View Post
Things like this happen when a moderator is making a change to the site. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only reason I would is if the site was done for hours with no warning. A few minutes isn't worth much worry.
I wasn't sure how long it was down for. I was busy for several hours, and when I came back the site was down. I'd just like to know where I can go for information if it goes down for longer in the future.
Talk with/stalk me:
Old 07-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
camstarjamie

Send a message via AIM to camstarjamie Send a message via MSN to camstarjamie Send a message via Yahoo to camstarjamie

sites will go down occasionally if theres anything being updated, dns changes or migrations cause especially lengthy downtime.
I don't think there's a social media page per-se but I know slutpuppy made a getdare group on bdsmspace.net theres a few of us there.
camstarjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
FoxFire
getDare Sweetheart

I could be wrong about this so if someone knows definitively feel free to correct me

I don't believe any of our current mods have the ability to change the net code/change the server structure. Believe they are roughly limited to banning/promoting/modifying threads. Also think the original creator of GD no longer is affiliated with the site.

Why they can't delete accounts/threads/IP ban people.

I could be wrong- this is just an observation over the years.

~ CrEaTiViTy~semi-public/messy /edging /anal play/denial /common sense and creativity

~dislikes~ ice/heat
~Limits~ bodily fluids, pee... poop etc..

Switch ~mildly searching.
FoxFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
RiskyFlame
Longtime User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFire View Post
I could be wrong about this so if someone knows definitively feel free to correct me

I don't believe any of our current mods have the ability to change the net code/change the server structure. Believe they are roughly limited to banning/promoting/modifying threads. Also think the original creator of GD no longer is affiliated with the site.

Why they can't delete accounts/threads/IP ban people.

I could be wrong- this is just an observation over the years.
I didn't follow the whole discussion in this thread. I am only replying to your post, FoxFire.

You're partly right and partly wrong. The moderators don't have the ability to change the net code or server structure, although, that's what some moderators have told in the past. After all, they are moderators and not administrators. The administrators, of which are a total of four; two active and two non-active, on the other hand, can change the structure of the website.

As for the owner of getDare; depp, I don't know whether he's active or not. He does come online from time to time and replies to PMs sent to him. He's one of the (active) administrators along with Rachie. Rachie is online much more often.

As for deleting accounts, threads and ban people by their IP, this is not wise to do. By deleting accounts, you remove all their posts as well. If my account were to be removed, all my 1800+ posts would be removed, leaving (big) gaps in threads and disrupting the readability.

I don't know the reason for why they don't delete threads, but I'm sure they have a good one. Maybe something regarding the post count or proof.

These days, an IP ban means nothing. It's way too easy to change your IP and create another account. Because of the relative scarcity of IPs, IPs can change from time to time, e.g. when you deactivate your router for a certain amount of time. So in theory, another person could get the IP assigned to him re-connecting his router that is banned on a particular server, such as getDare.com.

Anyone, feel free to correct me. I'm not 100% sure about what I've written here.

I've only really liked a handful of people in my life,
and you've been two of them.

—Hans Axgil—
RiskyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
patrick_75012

Default IPv6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyFlame View Post
These days, an IP ban means nothing. It's way too easy to change your IP and create another account. Because of the relative scarcity of IPs, IPs can change from time to time, e.g. when you deactivate your router for a certain amount of time. So in theory, another person could get the IP assigned to him re-connecting his router that is banned on a particular server, such as getDare.com.

Anyone, feel free to correct me. I'm not 100% sure about what I've written here.
Moreover the site is accessible with IPv6 too, where addresses change regularly and IP ban is difficult (you could only ban the whole local network with the risk of banning other computers too)...
patrick_75012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #10
Rachie
I am the cutest butterfly ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyFlame View Post
I didn't follow the whole discussion in this thread. I am only replying to your post, FoxFire.

You're partly right and partly wrong. The moderators don't have the ability to change the net code or server structure, although, that's what some moderators have told in the past. After all, they are moderators and not administrators. The administrators, of which are a total of four; two active and two non-active, on the other hand, can change the structure of the website.

As for the owner of getDare; depp, I don't know whether he's active or not. He does come online from time to time and replies to PMs sent to him. He's one of the (active) administrators along with Rachie. Rachie is online much more often.

As for deleting accounts, threads and ban people by their IP, this is not wise to do. By deleting accounts, you remove all their posts as well. If my account were to be removed, all my 1800+ posts would be removed, leaving (big) gaps in threads and disrupting the readability.

I don't know the reason for why they don't delete threads, but I'm sure they have a good one. Maybe something regarding the post count or proof.

Alot of this is correct.

Mods have different abilities to Admin.
But there is also different grades of moderators and Admins with different capabilities also.

Please remember that many of the admins / staff MAY have aditional accounts for there own personal use, some may be more frequent on gD than you may anticipate.

IP Banning, we can do, and have several measures to check up on users. (Not going into the details) but again as stated there is ways users can TRY to get around if wished (or so they believe)

Deleteing posts will leave big holes in conversations as stated.

Deleting threads can have same impact.

BED HABITS

LOLA.FOX WISHES SHE WAS MY FAVORITE USER <3
Rachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #11
FoxFire
getDare Sweetheart

Awesome !
Thanks for the info
Learned something ^.^

~ CrEaTiViTy~semi-public/messy /edging /anal play/denial /common sense and creativity

~dislikes~ ice/heat
~Limits~ bodily fluids, pee... poop etc..

Switch ~mildly searching.
FoxFire is offline   Reply With Quote