Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

View Poll Results: Force users to verify their e-mail?
Yes 8 61.54%
No 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
depp
SysOp

Default Forum changes... What's your take.

Recently we have been having quite a few spams coming through to the boards. Users who sign-up just to push their crap. They are easy to spot because you guys report them via the post report feature but it's getting annoying.

In an attempt to slow these guys down I am now requiring e-mail confirmation to register. That means you will have to verify the e-mail used in new accounts by clicking on a link.

I don't like to burden you guys but I think this extra step will help.

Please tell me what you think of this. Does this bother you? Is it too many steps?

If you guys don't like the idea I will remove the e-mail verification. If you do, I'll keep it.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
xdressslave

Send a message via MSN to xdressslave Send a message via Yahoo to xdressslave

I admin/mod on several forums and websites. I always use e-mail verification, because of two major reasons:

1) You don't want newsletters, private message notifications etc, bouncing, and you having e-mails sent to your domain with "mail delivery failed".

2) You need to be able to verify the authenticity of registrations. Most forums, when there is no e-mail validation, immediatly activate the users account. With e-mail validation, you can see how many registered users have activated their account, and should be considered "active" and properly registered.

It also prevents spam, and users having multiple accounts.
xdressslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:56 AM   #3
Big_Joe
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to Big_Joe

I think the email verification is good except i have to have it remember me or else i have to change my password everytime for some reason...
Big_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote