Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > The Butterfly Effect

A random assortment of reports, thoughts, ramblings and information. Pretty much a view inside my wonderfully complicated, sometimes broken, and entertaining mind.
Rating: 8 votes, 4.00 average.

The significance of the Butterfly

Posted 07-13-2014 at 05:37 AM by Butterfly
Updated 01-19-2015 at 09:52 AM by Butterfly
Tags butterfly

Butterflies are very significant to me. My home office is decorated with all different butterflies. The butterfly has a few different meanings for me.

One is a very personal significance because when I see it, it remind me of my Nana (my great grandmother).

When I was 7 years old, I went to a family Christmas party. There was a gift exchange for the kids, but somebody had forgotten to bring their gift, so my Nana chose to put her adult gift in for one of the girls gifts.

We did our game to determine who got what gift, and we were all eagerly waiting for the signal to be allowed to open them. Once given, we all ripped into our packages. My cousins got barbies, and lego and cars, and other fun kinds stuff. I got a butterfly wind chime

Being only 7, I was disappointed. While everybody else was playing with their toys, I sat on the sidelines alone.

My Nana could tell I was upset and she came over and she told me that she was really glad that I got the wind chime. She said she was hoping it would be me.

She told me that butterflies are really special and that she wanted me to hang it up in my bedroom.

After that, I feel like my nana and I became even closer. She was my favorite person in this whole world. She died 4 years ago.

Having a butterfly on or near me, always reminds me of her and the special times we shared together, and makes me feel like she is close by.

The butterfly also symbolizes the type of person who she was: strong, beautiful, independent, graceful, kind, clever and overall amazing.

That is what I hope to be; a butterfly.

Butterflies are beautiful creatures, but their biggest attribute is their transformation from a fat, hairy caterpillar into a beautiful, graceful butterfly.

As the people close to me know, I am very hard on myself. I grew up in a house being told that I was fat, ugly, dumb ... and many more. I was made to feel like I wasn't good enough. I still to this day carry a lot of those feelings around with me.

I feel like a caterpillar.

But caterpillars aren't just fat, ugly, hairy and stepped on. They are patient, and determined and they transform. The caterpillars transformation is inspirational to me. It manages to change itself from that caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly.

I want to one day make that transformation into a butterfly.

I want to be seen as beautiful, even if it is just my inner beauty.
I want to be seen as strong, able to defend myself.
I want to be seen as independent, able to survive on my own.
I want to be seen as graceful (ok, this one might not happen because I am super clumsy).
I want to be seen as gentle, and kind and caring.
I want to be seen as able to change the world.

And like my Nana, I want to make a difference in somebodies life. Just one ...

Views 860 Comments 5
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Well I'll never think about butterflies in the same way again. Thanks for sharing.
  2. Old Comment
    This is really amazing. I love it. Thank you so much for sharing!

I am the same way with my grandmother and birds.

I am glad that you have something so wonderful to keep your nana's memory close to your heart.
  3. Old Comment
    This is so awesome! It's always helpful to have a talisman to remind you of who you are and your goals, and to inspire you to keep going.
  4. Old Comment
    It sounds alt like the butterfly project which I love!
  5. Old Comment
    Thank you everybody for your comments.