Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > The Butterfly Effect

A random assortment of reports, thoughts, ramblings and information. Pretty much a view inside my wonderfully complicated, sometimes broken, and entertaining mind.
  1. Old Comment

Being a mod

feel better butterfly, don’t let bitter bettys get you down! i very much apperciate the time and effort you put into the site <3
  2. Old Comment

Being a mod

Quote:
    Originally Posted by little pet View Comment
    I get that it sucks to get criticism. It’s not pleasant, especially if you work hard for something.

Does getting criticism about a decision you made automatically mean that you are then a bad mod, or a bad person? Or that people think you are? No. This criticism was directed at one decision that you made as a mod. There have been helpful suggestions that may help you handle it differently next time, from several people. This is not the end of the world. It’s just a difference of opinions.
    You’re still the mod, you can decide whatever the hell you do with these suggestions.

Just to play devil’s advocate a little here; You have said multiple times that it is your mission to educate people. Then doesn’t this indeed hold you to a higher standard? You set yourself as an example right? So, is it so strange that you get critical questions about that education now and then?

This is the last thing I’m going to write for a while. I’m not sure if I want to be part of a climate where speaking one’s mind or disagreeing is seen as some sort of violation. Where feelings, not arguments dictate if someone is right or wrong.
    This blog is not about one incident or decision that I have made. It was about a feeling in general that has been building for awhile. I have had this blog in my drafts for awhile now and I decided to finally finish writing it and post it.

One criticism does not automatically make me a bad mod or a bad person, however it doesnt mean that I am not allowed to feel down on myself at times. This blog was not written for anybody else, it was written as a way for me to sort through these feelings I have been struggling with.

I do strive to be a role model and educate others. That doesn't mean I am not allowed to make mistakes, have opposing views or bad days. I hold myself to a high standard and like I said, I do think critically about everything that I post.

However sometimes it feels as though, because I am a mod, I am not allowed to do or talk about things that are controversial. That just because I am a mod, it is wrong for me to share some of the more extreme activities that I do with my play partners.

I am not the only person who is seen as a role model in this community. I have seen many people cite your name as somebody who has inspired them or who they look up to. And there are many others. I know that in your dynamic you toe the line between what is reasonably safe and what is a bit risky. However, you share the information with the disclaimer that it can be dangerous and that you take precautions to make it as safe as possible. That is the responsible thing to do and I admire that I dont see how that is any different from what I do. Or what icemaiden does. However, I feel as though I end up targeted at times because I am a mod and held to a different standard.
    Updated 09-03-2018 at 02:56 PM by Butterfly
  3. Old Comment

Being a mod

I appreciate you. Actually, you keep me coming back. And I do think you are more than fair as a mod. (I think I already said this to you but, I will say it again.)

There are taboo kinks and people have to accept that and accept sometimes a mod participates in it. And in gD there is actually a list of mods.

I would argue if someone feels they are treated unfairly by a mod and fears retalitian, get a diffrent mod to look at it.

And using a privilege once in a while isn't a big deal. Users have been granted the same privileges you are taking.
  4. Old Comment

Being a mod

I get that it sucks to get criticism. It’s not pleasant, especially if you work hard for something.

Does getting criticism about a decision you made automatically mean that you are then a bad mod, or a bad person? Or that people think you are? No. This criticism was directed at one decision that you made as a mod. There have been helpful suggestions that may help you handle it differently next time, from several people. This is not the end of the world. It’s just a difference of opinions.
    You’re still the mod, you can decide whatever the hell you do with these suggestions.

Just to play devil’s advocate a little here; You have said multiple times that it is your mission to educate people. Then doesn’t this indeed hold you to a higher standard? You set yourself as an example right? So, is it so strange that you get critical questions about that education now and then?

This is the last thing I’m going to write for a while. I’m not sure if I want to be part of a climate where speaking one’s mind or disagreeing is seen as some sort of violation. Where feelings, not arguments dictate if someone is right or wrong.
  5. Old Comment

Being a mod

Butterfly, you do a great job. I agree with the comments posted above by Princess, pranadevil, and Marissa. And like you said, I remember when it was more bustling on this site too. And all the creative things and effort you all make to keep this community engaged, afloat, welcoming, and special is commendable. You all do a great job. If not, all the wackos would be running this town with, less substance and content, and with either less people, or more of the wrong sort.

Keep your head up high. You are appreciated. And you know it
    Updated 09-03-2018 at 02:26 PM by Joan Sky
  6. Old Comment

Being a mod

Hey, I mod a very different kind of community, but I understand how big of a commitment it can be. For all the work that you put into it, you should get the smallest of privileges out of it. And really, if someone is going to get upset about that blog, chances are they would have found something else to be upset about eventually anyways. So I hope you don't let it bring you down for too long. <3
  7. Old Comment

Being a mod

We don't talk... like at all. We may have done some many moons ago though.

But screw anyone who thinks you cant have a bad day. It's the same as a dom. I can have a bad day mental health wise just as anyone else can, that shit happens, the important bit is supporting each other when it happens, and it does.

As for the extreme forms of play, I enjoy the more extreme side of things, and why shouldn't we enjoy it as long as it's consensual? My view on pretty much everything in life is that if what you are doing doesn't hurt someone else, without it being consented to, then who cares? What I do with a sub is between me and her, what you do with anyone else is between you two, and as long as it's consensual, that's fine. People play poker with others when they know the other person is literally gambling their life savings away... how is that morally more correct than torturing someone who literally wants to be tortured?

As for the blog explosion. I read it, and I saw both sides. Is it bad for a mod to seemingly give themselves a privilege that isn't granted to others? Yeah, probably. If it's done for the right reasons, can it be okay? Yes, same with anything. Could it have gone elsewhere? Sure.

My only real issue is the same issue I have with pretty much everything like that on this site and any other, it's nothing more than a popularity contest, and becomes somewhat of a circle jerk amongst the more noticeable users. Not an attack on anyone who's taking part either, because it doesn't matter what type of nomination/voting system is done, everything from a silly thing for a website, right up to politics, it's all "who's the most popular?" rather than "who is best to take the role?"

Fact is, it didn't make a great change to the blog stuff, most people don't care about the blog section anyway, and those that do tend to just look at what new blogs are there and leave as far a I can tell. Very few pay attention to the comments enough to worry about it.

I've seen bad mods on many sites I've been a part of, where they don't like someone and so treat them like shit, and deliberately ignore any issues towards them, but pick up on them for tiny infractions.

I've seen mods hit people for literally nothing, just because they were on a power trip that day, and many many other issues. Hell, I got banned from a Reddit group for 30 days because I messaged a mod that they had removed a post for a false reason... my reason for banning was "don't question the mods, come back in 30 days", and I didn't... because fuck that.

But you are fair, no matter who it is, you treat them equally, so keep your head up, you're doing great, and keep moving forwards.
  8. Old Comment

Being a mod

I hardly post and I do not make myself known around the site, but felt compelled to come out of my 'lurker mode' to respond to this... I do read posts and blogs fairly regularly and I have to say that your blogs have been some of the informative, helpful and interesting to read.

Regardless of what is being said, I'm sure the vast majority would agree here that you are valued and that you make such significant contributions - all for other people.

A few negative remarks do not represent the feelings of everyone.

~Princess
  9. Old Comment

Stuffy Take Over

Those names are funny. You're cats names are funny. You're the queen of names Miss.
  10. Old Comment

Stuffy Take Over

Quote:
    I need this in my life.
  11. Old Comment
  12. Old Comment

Stuffy Take Over

Oooh! I need a human sized teddy bear. He can sleep right in the middle of the bed.

Also for the record we have a King size bed so there is lots of room. Daddy is just not sharing very well.
  13. Old Comment

Stuffy Take Over

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LitDarkness View Comment
    Aww. But, that is a lot! What if I vote that your daddy is right.
    I have a lot of stuffies on my bed too. Maybe not more than her, but I bought one from the store last Christmas season that is almost a human sized teddy bear named Milo, so same thing
    Updated 09-03-2018 at 08:59 AM by Joan Sky
  14. Old Comment

Stuffy Take Over

Aww. But, that is a lot! What if I vote that your daddy is right.
    Updated 09-03-2018 at 07:08 AM by LitDarkness
  15. Old Comment

Stuffy Take Over

Oh noes! <3 I definitely have to take a picture of mine then, and devote a separate album. Stuffy introductions, and group photos. And perhaps for the yet to be named ones, the "Stuffy Name Ideas" comments, lol

George is my fave, but Ella and Princess Rainbow Sparkles are adorable too Oh, and Hootie... (I see that Hi you drew on him on the sequins )

They are all cute!

Love your pictures! *melts to the cuteness*
    Updated 09-02-2018 at 10:42 PM by Joan Sky
  16. Old Comment

getDare's Democratic Royal Court

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joan Sky View Comment
    Joan Sky getDare News Reporter
    nina@ Campaign Media Manager
    Joan Sky Official Royal News Reporter
    LitDarkness Campaign Team Member (1/3)

The possibilities are endless. Deeply honored.

I was pretty helpful in you winning that thread against Matt, even though Switch Lucy magnificently blindsided him with the tiebreaker vote, and put the cherry on top, lol

Sweet cherry pie

I have much to think about. Will inform my decision after adequate contemplation. Thank you all.
    Yes, you were and Switch Lucy was surprising with that. So, I accept the nomination.
  17. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LitDarkness View Comment
    I will accept if you agree to be on my campaign team.
    Joan Sky getDare Queen nominee
    Joan Sky getDare News Reporter
    nina@ Campaign Media Manager
    LitDarkness Campaign Team Member (1/3)

The possibilities are endless. Deeply honored.

I was pretty helpful in you winning that thread against Matt, even though Switch Lucy magnificently blindsided him with the tiebreaker vote, and put the cherry on top, lol

Sweet cherry pie

I have much to think about. Will inform my decision after adequate contemplation. Thank you all.
    Updated 09-02-2018 at 07:18 PM by Joan Sky
  18. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joan Sky View Comment
    Thanks suballyzon

Lol, amusing as always

Since Abusive Master declined, I nominate LitDarkness for getDare King.
    I will accept if you agree to be on my campaign team.
  19. Old Comment

I am far too busy and can't keep up on the gD stuff I have going on therefore as much as I'd love to run and win im gonna have to kindly decline.

Thanks for support!!!!
  20. Old Comment

Ok sorry for spamming (as I can't delete comment once made), still thinking and changing my mind.. will let you know within deadline
    Updated 09-02-2018 at 08:51 AM by nina@
  21. Old Comment

I would like to nominate Mr. Devious and Butterfly

<3
  22. Old Comment

This is a great idea and I'd like to nominate Miss Icey, aka IceMaiden for Queen!

I'm just within temptation to make her the Ice Queen.
  23. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Comment
    ^--- I really wish I could put a "LIKE" on that. LOL I can only wonder with anticipation as to what the News Report blog posts will be like!
    Thanks Blue Fox

I can only wonder oftentimes too. Most of what I do is created in the moment usually from start to finish in one sitting. I follow my heart and inspiration and am often pleasantly surprised by the results, because even though I expect well it often surpasses my expectations, which is wonderful. It is a blessing I appreciate and share...

Still deciding what to do, but I appreciate you all <3
    Updated 09-01-2018 at 07:31 PM by Joan Sky
  24. Old Comment

^--- I really wish I could put a "LIKE" on that. LOL I can only wonder with anticipation as to what the News Report blog posts will be like!
  25. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Butterfly View Comment
    If you choose to decline your nomination you can always be the official royal news reported and interview all of the candidates?
    Sounds like fun.

May the best (wo)man win!

Will strive to be impartial, objective, and neutral as all news is supposed to be. I am Switzerland!

Still deciding on everything. Will let you know. Thanks Butterfly
    Updated 09-01-2018 at 01:52 PM by Joan Sky