Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Hampers' Box of Juke

You're sitting in a dingy bar. You drain the dregs of the last alcoholic beverage you can afford for the night. You've got one shiny coin left. You look around for something to spend it on. There's a charity jar at the end of the bar, which you reach out for. But just beyond it you see a big flashing jukebox. You walk over and slot your coin in. Not sure what to choose, you hit RANDOM.
The discs whirr into place, and it comes up...
Rate this Entry

Reward - Teardrop Explodes

Posted 01-26-2009 at 07:26 AM by Hampers
Updated 01-27-2009 at 07:23 PM by Hampers

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm burning out on getDare. Sooner or later I'm going to have to either leave the site or remove myself from the staff. At the moment (on a day I don't work), I'm probably spending maybe five or six hours moderating, administrating, or developing. It's been weeks since I've made an actual contribution to the site in posts (excluding moderating).

And I think my attention to detail really doesn't match the requirements of what people are going to need. But I'd really love to see getDare as a site that can last, and to do that we're going to need a lot more than a haphazard, l'assaiz-faire [again, correct me, Chloe] approach. Before I go, two of my goals are to make a fully-blown user guide, as well as a fully-blown staff guide.

I've got a few more ideas for getDare features that I do want to get in place before I shuffle off this moderatoral coil. I think an index of completed stories would be cool, and I'm possibly going to be re-organising the TorD archives as well.

Not to mention all the work that's going to come with Unification.

I remember strongly as a 14-year-old playing Truth or Dare on certain websites, and being amazed at how crap they are. I see a lot of people taking getDare for granted, dismissing its Truth or Dare elements for other farting around (I myself am not above this criticism. I reckon maybe 500 of my posts are from the word association thread alone). The reason I'm slaving away is that I see the potential for an absolutely amazing site that can cater successfully for everyone, and I would love for my legacy to be part of the transformation from an incomplete TorD site to an outstanding, self-sufficient, fully-functioning one.

I've seen getDare, stripped down to fields upon fields of matrix-code. To see how it works removes a lot of its wonder. I know that wasting myself to developing it further now will make whatever Truth or Dare is more fun, accessible, and trouble-free for future generations of getDare users.

And this is why I do it.
Hampers
xo
Posted in
Views 7206 Comments 11
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 11

Comments

1. Old Comment
    PS, Sorry to subject you all to that. But it's 1.30am and I'm a bit pissed off at myself. I'm currently thinking that I'll stay as a staff member until I get all the projects I have planned completed, and then I'll just go back to being a regular member. :]

Night night.
  2. Old Comment
    Well, Somewhere along having got a private message, It counted my post double.

Oh well, you're worth it, hamps
  3. Old Comment
    I wasn't asking for thanks. But cheers anyway.
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hampers
    l'assaiz-faire [again, correct me, Chloe]
    It's laissez faire

Or it could be laisser faire...

With or withouth a "-" in between...

Aaaaarrghhh French is so stressing!!!

Posted 01-26-2009 at 07:41 PM by SubMissChievous SubMissChievous is offline
  5. Old Comment
    I got one word right!
  6. Old Comment
    don't forget to give credit! >: ( the getdare gallery was my idea ^^

And Depp is doing A LOT(cos some people are anal about it <.<) on the unification project.
    Posted 01-27-2009 at 08:54 AM by TheLittleStrawberry TheLittleStrawberry is offline
  7. Old Comment
    >ALOT<

Gah. I hate that. It's "a lot".

Ooof, I corrected a mod

TLS, was it really your idea? If it was, yay! Thanks
  8. Old Comment
    *gives Hampers ALOT of thanks*
  9. Old Comment
    Hey its a bad habit of mine!! >:-C I know it's "a lot" but for some reason I write it "alot" without even thinking. I bet you pick your nose for a bad habit! *hmph!!*
    Posted 01-27-2009 at 09:44 AM by TheLittleStrawberry TheLittleStrawberry is offline
  10. Old Comment
    I've edited this post. I really didn't intend for it to be a Hampers-glorification thread. It really was me pouring my head empty of musings about the work I'd been doing here. Everyone on the staff works just as hard as I do. And I should have mentioned that the gallery was strawb's idea. She is going to be posting some more soon *excited hush*.

That is all.
  11. Old Comment
    Even so, all the mods are vastly underappreciated. You guys are what makes this site AMAZING.