Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Joystick Oldskool Handwritten Letters

Does anyone write letters anymore?

Today's world is so wrapped up in Facebook and text that old-hat ways of communicating are being left behind. Being a lover of English with a passion for writing, I decided to change my ways a little. I recently wrote a long letter to one of my closest friends and she recieved it today. She was so excited to get it and now she's writing a letter back. And I've already planned a reply to her reply. So hopefully the ball will keep rolling and a chain of letters will build up.

I love the wait. It can be irritating but, because we live so close, we post the letter and it arrives the next day.

I love the personal touch. In a Facebook chat/message, how is it personal? It's always one generic font. Sure, you have smilies, but that's about it. In handwritten letters, there's space for anything. Doodle, draw, sign your name, be creative. It's also a lot more personal in that it's had care and attention. Anyone can knock together an email or text and knock it through spell-check and send it. But handwritten stuff is often more carefully thought out.

Yes, it takes more time. But isn't that sometimes the idea of communicating? We love instant chat these days. But, sometimes, it may take you a few days to recieve an email if you can't log on or whatever. So it's the same as writing a letter. Also, with letters, yes, you have to pay for stamps. But, again, that's part of the love. You've gone out of your way to buy stamps (which aren't expensive) in order to write to someone. Not just logged into an account and typed up a few words.

Woah. Rambling. But yeah. What are your thoughts on this subject? Do you have a penpal? Did you have one?

And if you answered "no", maybe you should set aside half an hour or an hour and write a letter to a friend. Surprise them. Don't tell them. Just write something and send it. A page, two pages, five pages, whatever. I guarantee it'll make them smile more than a message on Facebook will.

Discuss
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Ninjota
Distinguished Member

Haha a penpal would be neat, i agree the digital world has "Homogenized" communications, and handwritten letters are awesome to get

But alas, no i do not have a penpal hehe, im a computer junkie
If I was your vampire, death waits for no one
Hold my hands across your face
Because I think our time has come
Ninjota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjota View Post
Haha a penpal would be neat, i agree the digital world has "Homogenized" communications, and handwritten letters are awesome to get

But alas, no i do not have a penpal hehe, im a computer junkie
Don't get me wrong - nothing wrong with Facebook chat/messages/email etc. But I think people miss out when they don't send a letter. It's nothing exciting, sure, but it can make a difference and, as I've found, it can be fun.

Instant chat is just that. Instant. There in a minute. Whereas I've sent a letter to my friend, she's read it and I have no idea what she'll write back. So I'll be waiting til, maybe, Monday and it's just something to look forward to.

Might just be me being old though xD
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Ribbit101
getDare Sweetheart

A girl I quite like sent me a letter once

I'll ask her to write me another, and then i'll hopefully write one back

I use emoticons in letters....

Seriously.

Seeking Submissives

Old advert
Ribbit101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
slaveblondie

I write to my Grandma, she doesn't have facebook for obvious reasons and she is a writing diva, she will write about 4 pages in literally about 10 minutes! And it does mean so much to her when I write in reply to her letters Though she is beginning to get the hand of texting :P

SB xx

Limits:
blood, scat, pee, messy, public, family and friends, illegal, pictures of me, outside

Bondage, tease and denial, light pain, lifestyle rules, general control (food, furniture, bathroom, time etc),

Dislikes:
cold showers, complicated dares/tasks, really long corner time, harsh pain, clothing control, obnoxious or rude people haha
slaveblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
CollaredBlondie
getDare Addict

I recently posted a short blog about this elsewhere on the net, and one of my followers sent me her address, so now we're writing to each other. I love writing and sending letters.

23/F/UK
The most fun dare I've ever read: Click me!
I do not give dares.
I do not take dares.
I am not looking for an Owner.
And, seriously, what part of my username suggests that I'm a Domme?!

Any questions? (My 'ask me anything' thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophical
<spice girls> If ya wanna be my master, gotta get in my chat, being a wannabe is easy but I think you're quite a tw... </spice girls>
CollaredBlondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
sweetsong
getDare Succubus

I ♥ handwritten letters.

Nobody writes back though. :
(

siggy made by stellz

[03:54:06 PM] jamness: ‹@G.J.› She... kisses and stuff... shes weird.
[03:54:39 PM] G.J.: ‹@jamness› That seems like normal Sweets to me XD
sweetsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Ribbit101
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsong View Post
I ♥ handwritten letters.

Nobody writes back though. :
(
If only you were in the UK!

Seeking Submissives

Old advert
Old 07-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
sweetsong
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit101 View Post
If only you were in the UK!
It only costs like 80 cents to mail a letter to Europeland.

siggy made by stellz

[03:54:06 PM] jamness: ‹@G.J.› She... kisses and stuff... shes weird.
[03:54:39 PM] G.J.: ‹@jamness› That seems like normal Sweets to me XD
sweetsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
Arthur Dent

When I was around 13ish (back in the 70's!) I used to have a pen friend that I met on holiday once. At that time the only other way to communicate was the landline 'phone (we only had that installed when I was 12) and we only had one which was in the hallway where everyone walked passed - so not exactly private. And my parents would never let me use it for long because it cost too much!

But I enjoyed reading the letters and writing them, and I kept them for ages in a box and found them years later and enjoyed reading them again (you can't do that with facebook). Letters gave you a real insight into someone's life and personality becasue you took time over writing them. Instant communication is good in many ways but tends to be only short snippets of information - I don't think it can replace a good letter personally!
Arthur Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:56 AM   #11
Aivey
getDare Sweetheart

I LOVE handwritten letters They seem so much more personal, and thus, more meaningful that a bunch of pixels on a screen. Each letter has been written by hand, and it's just full of the writer's characteristics (eg: handwriting, decorations, etc...) I also love spraying perfume on a handwritten letter It makes things much more "you-like" if you know what i mean :P
but sadly, no, i don't have any pen pals because the postal system is so unreliable here in china

My Fetlife
Ask Me Anything

Last edited by Aivey; 07-31-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Aivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:44 AM   #12
Anjelen
Account Banned

Send a message via MSN to Anjelen Send a message via Yahoo to Anjelen

I love hand written letters. And yet, i passionately hate writing. It takes too long - not to mention the fact that i've -always- had terrible hand writing, and that's not likely to change; i just don't have the patience to write. I never learned to clearly express myself through text until i got my hands on a keyboard and i didn't have to mess about with paper and ink anymore...

That said - i will write, if people i write to are very special to me.

* How to not be a Dumbinant *
* Here's your chance to ask me anything! *

"It's better to try and fail than to fail to try."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-- Nunc Intellego --
Anjelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:43 AM   #13
CollaredBlondie
getDare Addict

I used to write to my best friend all the time when I moved away from where I used to live. Sometimes I used to actually hand write, sometimes I used to type a letter (didn't used to have constand internet access then). I know typing a letter isn't quite the same as handwriting one, but sometimes it's a lot easier for all involved. I mean, it might not take as much time, or it might be more readable. I used to insert pictures into these letters so they weren't boring. ^_^

23/F/UK
The most fun dare I've ever read: Click me!
I do not give dares.
I do not take dares.
I am not looking for an Owner.
And, seriously, what part of my username suggests that I'm a Domme?!

Any questions? (My 'ask me anything' thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophical
<spice girls> If ya wanna be my master, gotta get in my chat, being a wannabe is easy but I think you're quite a tw... </spice girls>
CollaredBlondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
honeyness
getDare Sweetheart

I LOVE this, I really want to write letters again, just with facebook etc there are only a few people who will actually appreciate it!

I always write thank you letters to family members who have sent me a gift for a birthday or at Christmas, it has always been drummed into me to say thank you and people seem to appreciate receiving the letter.

When i was younger, around 10, I had a penfriend who i met on holiday and we wrote to each other for ages until we gradually grew apart. I recently got back in touch which her by using facebook, so I do like facebook for that ability to reconnect with people! i still have all our letters and cards that we used to make each other, I would love to have that kind of relationship with someone again.

*ponders* I may go and write a letter to my best friend, just to tell her how much she means to me

*Goes to find pen and paper*

19/Female/UK
I will not cam/dare/sub/dom you so don't ask!
But if you want a friendly chat or help on anything at all then drop me a PM

s/M advice Threads of note Ask me Anything
Honey is naturally occuring like other awesome shit like Tornados and Girls with spongy hymens
honeyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
Ribbit101
getDare Sweetheart

I wrote a letter to accompany a necklace to the first girl I liked....

Wow, repressed memory much?

Seeking Submissives

Old advert

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
letter, letters, mail, post, writing