Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
Stix
getDare Devil

I personally just don't understand what the fuss is about...

If a thread is incredibly good, we give thanks...If it's "average" (not INCREDIBLE but not crap) we acknowledge it and read it...I think the fact that you READ a thread is enough to give it justice...after all, isn't that why it's there?

You might read an incredibly good book, and you might recommend it to a friend. Then you might read a book that was good, but not as good as the first one...you probably wouldn't recommend it but does that mean the author get's insulted?

If a thread/book is crap...you probably would give up after the first few sentences/pages.

You see my point?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #17
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokelake View Post
Maybe say how I said yours in your thread. I don;t think me saying or anyone saying "I don't think it will be a good idea" shows any negativity.

And I even said your suggestion is a good idea in theory. See, right there, it still doesn't hurt to right after you give positive reinforcement, you give your opinion about it. Which I did. But I did it in a way where it won't bring you down. You see the difference now?
"I don't think it will be a good idea" is negative. Or, put another way, it's not positive. It just has various words in there to "soften the blow". But this whole debate/discussion is silly.

I mean, the idea that someone would be discouraged to post threads because they get little or no "thanks"... it's silly. We've had "thanks" for months and never has someone spoken out saying "I refuse to make threads because nobody thanks me".
Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #18
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix View Post
I personally just don't understand what the fuss is about...
I'm with you completely. The idea is just daft. And, personally, I think it says a lot that nobody has said, "I haven't had any thanks so I'm not posting new threads" supports the idea that all this is silly.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #19
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Well, wouldn't thanking threads give that same affect? Because users could get discouraged that their threads are not getting thanked when they see other threads that got thanked.
Basically, no. Because it hasn't.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

"I don't think it will be a good idea" is negative. Or, put another way, it's not positive. It just has various words in there to "soften the blow". But this whole debate/discussion is silly.

I mean, the idea that someone would be discouraged to post threads because they get little or no "thanks"... it's silly. We've had "thanks" for months and never has someone spoken out saying "I refuse to make threads because nobody thanks me".
Yes I do agree with you that it "softens the blow" but it is still better than saying your idea is sill, stupid, naff, and what not.

And word choice my friend. It gives a user a different connotation when use, "I dont think it is a good idea" than saying, your diea is "naff, silly, stupid." The fist quote, is better than the latter because you have stated your opinion in a more mature, positive way. Where as the latter, sorry to say this, but sounds like a grumpy old person would say.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #21
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Yes I do agree with you that it "softens the blow" but it is still better than saying your idea is sill, stupid, naff, and what not.

And word choice my friend. It gives a user a different connotation when use, "I dont think it is a good idea" than saying, your diea is "naff, silly, stupid." The fist quote, is better than the latter because you have stated your opinion in a more mature, positive way. Where as the latter, sorry to say this, but sounds like a grumpy old person would say.
Please make your mind up on exactly what you're trying to say. You've effectively gone from "let's not have any negativity" to "well, we can have negativity but try to soften the blow and be mature about it".

But meh.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

Please make your mind up on exactly what you're trying to say. You've effectively gone from "let's not have any negativity" to "well, we can have negativity but try to soften the blow and be mature about it".

But meh.
I don't know about the rest if you, but I always find it funny how my threads are the only ones that finds a way to go off-topic. LOL.

I don't personally care btw, since it is my thread. But I am warning everyone that it is against the rules, so be careful all.

Also, I think if the OP doesn't mind if his/her thread goes off topic by users, then mods shouldn't lock it. But that will be another suggestion I will suggest in the future. Which I am sure, most of the posts will be for against it. Like what elses new.

Last edited by lokelake; 07-26-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #23
Stix
getDare Devil

Ok...on 2 of your threads I've recently read you've said something along the lines of "I don't care...but" or "I'm not bothered by this...but"

You clearly do care...if you're making threads "warning" people about the rules of gD...which to be honest, when it comes to petty little things like this, I'm not even sure the mods care!

Yes, if someone is abusing someone's thread completely, with complete disregard to that person's feelings, then something should be done. But worrying whether people get offended because they don't get thanks on their thread is a bit far in my opinion.

It's like Political correctness...it's only there because the people in power THINK that it offends the people in question...when really, they probably don't care!

Again...just my opinion
Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #24
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Then the mods should take action against the user(s) if they are going off topic just to offend, not close the entire thead. Now, I can see why mods would have to close the thread if the OP did care about users going off topic.

I care about the rest of you, that is why I warned you all abut going off topic.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #25
Stix
getDare Devil

Wait...I thought we were talking about "thanks"...not going off topic...

Ok...which one is this thread about? Cos I was talking about "Giving thanks and why people shouldn't be offended if they don't get thanks"

What are you talking about?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Wait...I thought we were talking about "thanks"...not going off topic...

Ok...which one is this thread about? Cos I was talking about "Giving thanks and why people shouldn't be offended if they don't get thanks"

What are you talking about?
I am just too super excited that SC 2 is coming out tomorrow. I cant wait!!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #27
Stix
getDare Devil

Ok seriously loke...I think you've lost it mate :S
Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #28
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Ok seriously loke...I think you've lost it mate :S
Not my normal self today since SC 2 is coming out!!!!!! OMG, FINALLY!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #29
Manbearpig
getDare Expert

Lets keep this about thanking threads and not SC2.

Edit: Consider this a warning about not going off topic. If you have any questions, PM me. Don't post here

Will not do: Anal, Messy, Public

Kik:Mbpgetdare

Last edited by Manbearpig; 07-26-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #30
keykitty
getDare Sweetheart

Personally I thank threads that are exceptional or have something I would actually consider doing (which is very few). Whether I post a thread and get thanks or not doesn't really matter to me. Nice to have but not of grave concern.