Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #16
cheesy dude
Distinguished Member

whats wrong with bad spelling. May i remind you all that its not just english and american who are members here so write in their native tounge for some people its quite hard because its a second language.

I do not belive you can moderate bad spelling because well its the internet if you want perfect spelling google 'dictionary'. Also i spell badly I do not think we should limit this site to only those that can spell.

I do not think a spelling rule is a good idea. BY all means LEAVE BAD REP (the little scales under a username at the bottom) thats what its there for if you dont like sombodys post(, or do like sombodys post). Limiting users by their spelling ability would be sirously limiting this site and its growth.

yours
Cheesydude
Old 11-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #17
chain
SysOp & Cougar Trainer

I think the big problem is 1337 speak, and MSN language. (ex. urs, luv, u, etc.) I misspell things quite a bit also.

Rowing all day, erry Day
Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #18
Sum
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy dude View Post
whats wrong with bad spelling. May i remind you all that its not just english and american who are members here so write in their native tounge for some people its quite hard because its a second language.
I think it's actually for that reason that understandable spelling should be pushed, I've noticed that a lot of the people who have english as their second language are the ones complaining about the bad spelling. As when English is taught as a second language it tends to be taught by the book, rather than when you learn a language as a first language it's learnt purely through usage.
Of course there's going to be misspellings here and there (i spell check each of my posts, and always find several errors) it's the intentional use of bad spellings, dropping vowels from words because as i was told by one user "Its Quicker Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" you will note of course said user had taken time to capitalise the first letter of each word.

Fire walk with me

I'm off to kinktalk. Bye all.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #19
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Quote:
Of course there's going to be misspellings here and there (i spell check each of my posts, and always find several errors) it's the intentional use of bad spellings, dropping vowels from words because as i was told by one user "Its Quicker Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
This is exactly what I meant. I don't have a problem with unintentional mispellings and/or typos at all personally but find it quite annoying when people not only do not make an effort but instead do this on purpose by using "chat language" or, like sum1(2) mentioned, drop vowels in almost each words.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:55 AM   #20
talla
getDare Sweetheart

i know i miss spell a lot but i relli cant help it i really do try
Old 11-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #21
darelova55

Send a message via AIM to darelova55 Send a message via MSN to darelova55 Send a message via Yahoo to darelova55

people cant allways spell corectly as some of us live at home and cant be caught by our olds and dont have time to use spell check
and some people have busy lives and dont have time to spend all day on here fixing up there spelling give them a break at least there making an attempt to post a comment on this site
if everyone keeps just leaving coments saying fix ypur spelling etc not as many people are going to bother posting anymore
most post u read now have a coment or two saying fix your spelling and its getting ridiculous
nobody's perfect just enjoy the site for what it is not on how good the spelling is!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #22
dkong
Account Banned

people who dont like mis-spelling, i got one thing to say to u.
Suck it up because there will always be people like me, it just a little problem and u wont die from it. Now take a deep breth and count to 10, if u have to, when ever there is a miss-spelt word. Because personaly, if u can figure out what the word says, or can use context clues to figure it out, i say suck it up. "and thats all i gota say about thatt"-Forest Gump

*ya, i know i miss-spelled personally, that, and spelt, but i just dont care
Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #23
chain
SysOp & Cougar Trainer

Unfortunately, almost all of the mods think spelling is a problem. These aren't the people you want to piss off (especially since the cowboys just beat my beloved Giants). Anyway, slight mis-spellings aren't the problem, 133t and chat language are.

Rowing all day, erry Day
Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #24
brownie
Account Banned

Send a message via AIM to brownie Send a message via Yahoo to brownie

sory about your giants, i watched the game, it was a good game, but did u really think they would beet the cowboys! lol jk, dont band my accont again.

~~~~~~~~its good to be back!~~~~~~~~~
Old 11-12-2007, 01:35 AM   #25
Marc
Warning: Contains Nuts

and what hacks me off is when there is a mis-spelt word ("relli" which I read as actually being "really") and then about five words later there is "really"! Can't remember which post it was - but know who wrote it...

Now is that
(a) bad spelling?
(b) laziness in checking what you have typed?
(c) trying to look as though you can't spell?
(d) just plain stupid?

I'd like to think it was (b) in all cases... honest, I would!

Warning: May contain nuts.

Likes: CFNM, WaM, Zentai, nudity, Cuffed, life model, body painting model, live TorD, being a naked chauffeur, to be continued....
Limits: No family, no work, no illegal, nothing beyond end of session, social suicide, swapping likes for dislikes, account control, to be continued...
Dislikes: Anal, blood, scat, to be continued...
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=150827
KIK: CFNM_Woody (mention getDare)

Vote on my current poll, please
Old 11-12-2007, 02:15 AM   #26
darelova55

Send a message via AIM to darelova55 Send a message via MSN to darelova55 Send a message via Yahoo to darelova55

well if slight “miss-spelts” r not the problem then y is there comments on peoples posts saying "i dare you to spell correctly"
just relax mods i no your trying to make it a better place but we really cant help it sometimes
Old 11-12-2007, 02:40 AM   #27
Sum
getDare Devil

because it's often quicker than saying, don't use stupid chat speak. The reason for wanting full words to be used by people is i think probably two fold, msn/txt speak lyk wat im ritin ere (please note in the example i just gave there are probably too many vowels) or l33t which i gave an example of in a previous post make the site look utterly stupid and like it is frequented by absolute morons.

Secondly getdare has quite a large active non English speaking membership, correct spelling (and were possible grammar) makes life easier for them.

You'll notice that people asking for correct spellings is for the very most part where the spellings are obviously wrong, i.e. there has been clearly no attempt made to follow conventional spelling rules (e.g. words need vowels!)

Fire walk with me

I'm off to kinktalk. Bye all.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #28
Powerstrip
Distinguished Member

Send a message via MSN to Powerstrip Send a message via Yahoo to Powerstrip

If english is not your first language, then it is excuseable.

Otherwise, learn to type right! I don't mind the odd misspelling, we all get our fingers in a twist occasionaly and a typo appears, or of course, you don't actually know how to spell the word.

Just before clicking that "Submit Reply" button, does it really hurt to take 2 minutes out and check your spellings?

MSN spellings such as "u" for "you", "l8rs" for "laters" etc, are for MSN. 1337 speak is to be banned outright.

On a forum, such as this one, people are to be intelligible and sensible and have a certain amount of etiquette for other forum users.

Personally, I type like this 90% of the time. I don't use much text speek or MSN slang as I feel that doing so is killing the english language.

Here's an idea, from now on all badly spelt posts shall be either ignored, moved to trash, or the subject shall be altered so that the poster corrects themselves if he/she wants the information they want.

Who's with me? Yay or nay?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darelova55 View Post
people cant allways spell corectly as some of us live at home and cant be caught by our olds and dont have time to use spell check
I also have to hide this from my family, but typing well in the first place isn't that hard. We're not asking you to check every word with a dictionary, but all we want is you to type properly in the first place. I would expect people to be able to do so with 99% of their words. The odd misspelling is excuseable.

I am looking for a mistress. Please PM me if interested

Last edited by Powerstrip; 11-12-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #29
lucky
Account Banned

after this topic opened I payed more attention to red underlined words so I can spell correctly (even that at the moment I am completely drunk and miss my keyboard = test subject). Anyone else wanna try it?

I am currently blackmailed and I am not sure about my limits...
Old 11-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #30
Swooper

I am the best speller in the world but can people please spell want right. How many time do we need to I wont which means that you wont do something instead I want. This makes it hard sometimes to read the thread and can sometimes really ruin a good story.

Swooper
Closed Thread