Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Truth OR Dare > Truth or Dare Stories > The Authors' Cafe

Old 10-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Dublinjohn

Send a message via Yahoo to Dublinjohn
Default Advice

I have an idea for the beginning of a story, involving a group of friends and of course stripping games, but I need a little bit of inspiration as I have not written a story before I'm afraid it could get stale or even boring and discontinued.

I won't actually be posting parts until I'm nearly done, so it could be a while, Christmas at the earliest (work life balance is going to suck for a few weeks).

So anyway some questions

1) create my own characters or use a fan fic format? I can see some advantages (and disadvantages) to both

2) I'm thinking of 6 - 8 main characters (mixed gender), I can up this or reduce, but I'm thinking in terms of sequels (if this works), can I have opinions please

3) I'm also looking for more well written character driven stories that have stripping games/forfeits for both inspiration (read refining ideas) and examples has to do it right, anybody can write "she stripped as she lost and then spread her legs and said come on and take your prize", If I invest my time in this I want others to like it also. Again this will be a weakness of mine I waffle slightly, I will be editing and re-writing a good bit to take this out, hence the expected lag time between this request and posting.

4) For the scenario I'm imagining 16 -18 year olds fit, are sheltered kids of that age believable or should I set the story back into the 80's? (would 15-17 work better on this site)

5) Am I better writing "I" or third person ("billy couldn't believe what he was seeing") I have a feeling that I will slip into one or the other, so the people who have written before, what is the most natural way to write it?

6) I'll be using word and then cutting and pasting when done, will there be any formatting needed for this site?

I'm going to post these questions on another site I like also and hopefully, the answers I get will help to write a likable story.

and no doubt there are some spelling errors, its a flaw I have that I am working on.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Dublinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Sindrato
getDare Sweetheart

Well, let me start by saying that stories about strip games themselves can usually end up being quite boring, unless written really well. Still, even if you're an excellent writer, I would recommend sprucing it up with at least sex, or better yet, BDSM.

Now, on to your points:
1. I believe that creating your own characters both gives you more freedom, and looks better in eyes of the audience. Plus, if you use the fan fic characters, you have to be careful to copy the personality believably.

2. Any more then 8 and the readers would have trouble remembering the characters. Yes, I agree, those are nice numbers. You can always bring guest stars in sequels.

3. I can't really find a question here

4. I would strongly suggest making the characters all of legal age. Both for the readers, and for the law.

5. Personally, I prefer to write in third person, but that is just my opinion.

6. No, if you don't wish to use formatting in word. If you are just pasting text, it will be fine. However, you will have to format italics, bolds, or any other type of modified text.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Dublinjohn

Thanks,

regarding Q3, its meant to be looking for an example of something that people consider to be well written character driven stories.

I know that this will be a weak story (not least due to my lack of experience), but I would submit that a requirement for sex or BSDM, may be more due to personal preferences, rather than actual requirements, ideally I'm attempting to write a story that I would love to read, I think that has to be the first requirement.

But, once again, thank you for taking the time and effort to reply to me.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
StrawDog
getDare Succubus

When you have the seed of an idea, it is easy to just run with it rather than actually keeping focussed and writing your story.

Stay open, but forget sequels. If you have ideas for later developments, by all means jot them down to revisit, but the real work should be done on the first one. Once you have a complete story you can do what you want with it, but until you have something ready to post, you have nothing.

As for character creation, there are a number of ways you can go, even if you were to create your own. You could have a very clear idea of the characters before you write the story, or could write a fairly clinical description of events and allow a personality to start to create itself in reaction to what is taking place, editing back as a pattern emerges. I'd suggest doing some research into methods and having a play with them to see what works for you.

Also, keep detailed notes. This is your story; if things stop making sense to you, it may make even less sense to another. By the same token, information that may seem obvious to you and require little detail may not be to others, so finding someone to give feedback will help.

I'd also suggest keeping things simple to begin with. You can always make a story more complex when you have something raw to work with, but if you get frustrated to the point of not wanting to continue, there is still nothing and you'll have the added strain of pulling yourself out of a funk, or giving up and feeling unsatisfied.

I wish you the very best of luck, hope you enjoy the experience, and look forward to reading your story when it's done.

'A man’s character is most evident by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or reciprocate.'

-Paul Eldridge
StrawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Sindrato
getDare Sweetheart

Oh, if you are looking for a nicely written story, I suggest you check the "Vassal Academy" down on Literotica. And yes, sex and BDSM are personal preferences, but I believe most of this site shares them...
Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Dublinjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindrato View Post
Oh, if you are looking for a nicely written story, I suggest you check the "Vassal Academy" down on Literotica. And yes, sex and BDSM are personal preferences, but I believe most of this site shares them...
We all get our jollies in different ways, once its consenting, who am I to judge. Fiction is the same way, some stories on this site are not to my taste, but so what. Please don't feel I was doing anything other that stating an opinion.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Sindrato
getDare Sweetheart

I merely presumed you wanted to write your story for the audience here, that's why I stated it.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Dublinjohn

It may be mild for a lot of people here, but I'm hoping some people will like it.

Certainly I see the first part ending with a bit of Humiliation, perhaps light bondage during the story, but nothing too extreme.

Advertisements
Kink Talk