Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com > Suggestion Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Default Not Being Enforced?

One of the rules here on getdare is the following: "Don’t flame - be respectful to other users. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Keep criticism constructive.

I'm sure many of the getdare users here will agree with me that that rule is not being enforced strictly enough. There are users, not mentioning any names, who do flame others but not get punushed for it, even when mods are around. Not sure why the getdare staff is so relaxed with enforcing that rule.

This would probably be needed to move to the longe, I think, or getdare.com.
The following 6 users say Thank You to lokelake for this post:
Old 09-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
fork
Account Banned

I agree completely. For example.. saying that grapes are gross is one thing, saying that someone is a fucking moron faggot for liking grapes is quite another.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
muffinfairy
getDare Devil

depends if its meant as an insult.
sarcasm, jokes + stuff doesn't always work online or people can over react if theyve had a bad day or something in commenting or reading one about them.

obvious insults probably are modded. others you have to be careful about as thats down to individual opinion. i think mods edit stuff out if they think it's wrong. . .

Masturbation 101:
[22:35:44] BettyBoop: It is really hard to get off.
[22:36:19] BettyBoop: I find that using a small piece of sellotape is the best way

http://ask.fm/muffinfairy
Snap: penis4fuffin {if you wish to snap penis or similar}
Snap: muffinfairy {add your username if spamming me}
KIK: muffinfairy {all rarely checked}

Territory Signature=Close **
Old 09-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinfairy View Post
depends if its meant as an insult.
sarcasm, jokes + stuff doesn't always work online or people can over react if theyve had a bad day or something in commenting or reading one about them.

obvious insults probably are modded. others you have to be careful about as thats down to individual opinion. i think mods edit stuff out if they think it's wrong. . .
Yeah but sometimes, I see a person in the chat flame another user even though the user that that person flamed at, didn't say anything mean to that person. And sometimes, there are multiple mods in there when the flaming was going on, but didn't do anything.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
Coyote
getDare Addict

Exactly as said above. I have noticed this aswell and i think that it needs to be stopped
Limits:Public,Involving Other People, Illegal, Pee/Poop, High Risk of Getting Caught,Extreme Pain,Anal,Messy/Water,(Backyard might be ok), Masturbation
24/M/USA
http://www.getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=32347

AFTER HOURS!!(GOOD READING)
Old 09-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
muffinfairy
getDare Devil

It's harder to mod chat as mods may not be active in chat or they may PM that person + you'd never know about it.

Me, Kitten + someone else spent a while insulting each other in chat as an inside joke. We got told to be nice to each other in PM by mods even though nothing mean was really happening. So PM modding happens.

Obvious insults are easier to tell off then misunderstood comments. But either way I think it should be dealt with by PM + not in open chat. If the insulted person is upset they can always message the mod + ask for the insulter to be reminded to be nice.

Masturbation 101:
[22:36:19] BettyBoop: I find that using a small piece of sellotape is the best way

Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
fork
Account Banned

Quote:
If the insulted person is upset they can always message the mod + ask for the insulter to be reminded to be nice.
I have done this numerous times and all my requests have either been ignored or the mod has responded quite nastily back to me. I feel that whether or not the person intended to insult the other user, they should stop if the user took their comment offensively. That user may not understand your joke or they may not think that joke was funny, so in that case the offender should apologize for offending even though they didn't mean to.

It's common courtesy to apologize if you offend someone even with good intentions.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
muffinfairy
getDare Devil

polite + internet
doesn't happen much.

i'm not saying being unkind is ok, but if it's a one off mistake don't spend forever thinking about it or hating the person who said it. There will always be people who almost look for insults + claim things are insults so they can complain or get attention.

If people think chat isn't well modded + it upsets them then they can always talk to their friends in a msn conference instead.

Masturbation 101:

Old 09-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
theone
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokelake View Post
One of the rules here on getdare is the following: "Don’t flame - be respectful to other users. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Keep criticism constructive.

I'm sure many of the getdare users here will agree with me that that rule is not being enforced strictly enough. There are users, not mentioning any names, who do flame others but not get punushed for it, even when mods are around. Not sure why the getdare staff is so relaxed with enforcing that rule.

This would probably be needed to move to the longe, I think, or getdare.com.
I think this is a difficult one because in an online community there are a lot of people that we don’t know that well, conversely others don’t know us that well either.
Intent is always difficult to ascertain in short lines of text, somebody could say something quite harmless but others may view it as offensive or problematic.

I do get the feeling that you are trying to make a point about habitual offenders and not just simple misunderstandings.

I agree with you completely on your point of being respectful to other users.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
theone
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork View Post
I have done this numerous times and all my requests have either been ignored or the mod has responded quite nastily back to me. I feel that whether or not the person intended to insult the other user, they should stop if the user took their comment offensively. That user may not understand your joke or they may not think that joke was funny, so in that case the offender should apologize for offending even though they didn't mean to.

It's common courtesy to apologize if you offend someone even with good intentions.
I agree, if a person specifically makes a request then others need to respect that request.
I would rather be given a chance to apologise that inadvertently cause offence.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone View Post
I think this is a difficult one because in an online community there are a lot of people that we don’t know that well, conversely others don’t know us that well either.
Intent is always difficult to ascertain in short lines of text, somebody could say something quite harmless but others may view it as offensive or problematic.

I do get the feeling that you are trying to make a point about habitual offenders and not just simple misunderstandings.

I agree with you completely on your point of being respectful to other users.
On some forums I go on, when one flame comes out of a person, BAM, that person gets banned, not too long after the flame.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
muffinfairy
getDare Devil

Quote:
On some forums I go on, when one flame comes out of a person, BAM, that person gets banned, not too long after the flame.
Isn't it better to give people another chance?
To let them repent + say sorry?
To share the love + spread the herpes.

No method moderating will please everyone.

Masturbation 101:

Old 09-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
Pingu
Be afraid

A lot of the irony on this thread and also a lot of bullshit.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

Quote:
Isn't it better to give people another chance?
To let them repent + say sorry?
To share the love + spread the herpes.

No method moderating will please everyone.
Or at least give them a warning. Maybe some people are mean and they don't realise it. A friendly warning could help.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
theone
getDare Succubus

Quote:
I don’t find that strict legalism is a good thing myself; people need some room to move and express themselves naturally or tension builds up.

It’s all about getting a correct balance but as different people have different temperaments that can be difficult. Being courteous and respectful goes a long way. Bans will be necessary as some people will never learn, and will continue to be abusive or violate the principles and intent of the community.
Didn’t the Apostle Paul say some where in the NT “I show you a more excellent way?” Isn’t it the Christian thing to do, to find that more excellent way?

Last edited by theone; 09-23-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Closed Thread