Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Old 05-13-2023, 07:00 AM   #1
EnglandBoy

1. GDPR is law, getDare's privacy policy doesn't trump it.
2. My understanding of vBulletin 3.8.11 is that you can delete users and their data from it.
3. If one day I decide I don't want my IP address associated with a list of kinks and vulnerable messages, that's my moral and legal right.
4. All I want is communication from getDare as to WHY they don't do this - if there's a good excuse and data is safely protected, I think a lot of people would be more sympathetic than they are towards a privacy policy which effectively says "your data is ours to share if you piss us off". If there isn't, that's where there's an issue that should be resolved. I don't think I'm being hugely unreasonable when I haven't had a reply from GD in the week since I posted this.
EnglandBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 10:44 AM   #2
DeepInnerFreak
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglandBoy View Post
1. GDPR is law, getDare's privacy policy doesn't trump it.
I agree. I never said it didn't or argued that getDare or any other site should not have to follow the law. I simply stated that they were clear and transparent from the start, leaving you able to make an informed decision.

Quote:
2. My understanding of vBulletin 3.8.11 is that you can delete users and their data from it.
That may well be the case. I genuinely have no idea. I am not a web developer. However the site stated that it will not delete your account or posts when you signed up, so why you are now so shocked and perplexed that this isn't being offered after the event is odd.

Quote:
3. If one day I decide I don't want my IP address associated with a list of kinks and vulnerable messages, that's my moral and legal right.
Living comes with risks everyday. Crossing the road, driving a car, playing sports, bungee jumping and skydiving, for example. Everyday we assess those risks, mitigating and minimising them where we can.

Reveal as little about yourself as you can on the site. Move to more trusted means of communication for more intimate conversations is one way to minimise those risks.

As for your IP and metadata, just because getDare deletes your account and posts, it will not stop your ISP from holding the data that your IP address has interacted with. This is kept on file and legally accessible for 12 months in the UK but after the 12 months, it will still be there. Nothing is ever deleted. Best way to be safe is not to do it in the first place if you are that concerned.

Quote:
4. All I want is communication from getDare as to WHY they don't do this - if there's a good excuse and data is safely protected, I think a lot of people would be more sympathetic than they are towards a privacy policy which effectively says "your data is ours to share if you piss us off". If there isn't, that's where there's an issue that should be resolved. I don't think I'm being hugely unreasonable when I haven't had a reply from GD in the week since I posted this.
I agree. I do not think you are being unreasonable asking a website what it does with your data. It's the reason I do not have any social media accounts. No Facebook, No Twitter, and certainly no Tiktok. However the website has already told you what it does with your data and that it won't get deleted, so you have your answer.

As to why they do not delete accounts, I have no idea. You likely will not get an answer either. The site, as previously mentioned is run by unpaid volunteers. You likely have better knowledge then them regarding GDPR laws. They are just people like you and me who enjoy using the site and wanted to help support with it's running.

EDIT: Most likely it is a resource reason... they simply do not have people that can press that button. It may also be because it would leave the site looking patchy and messy.

getDare was literally set up as a small project and it has grown beyond it's intended popularity. Initially by the owner(s) and then through said unpaid volunteers. It is not a business that makes any tangible profits.

I am simply responding to several users in this thread as a user of this site that understands what it is. Just trying to help you understand why you are likely not getting a response from anyone... because there really isn't anyone to respond or has the answers you are looking for.

Loves, Likes & Limits

Last edited by DeepInnerFreak; 05-13-2023 at 10:49 AM.
DeepInnerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 03:13 PM   #3
wolf82
Prodigy

I have zero idea of what is what, BUT a quick search of the site shows threads on this debate dating back to 2018.

The key takeaway from the threads has been the same, from Butterfly: mods don’t have the power to to delete accounts.

The issue, she has stated, needs to be brought up with Depp (site owner), who, at the time of the post in 2018 from Butterfly, is not on gd very often. (Unsure if he is around much or not these days)

Just throwing that out there

A dom just here to have a good time.

Sometimes I just browse, sometimes I interact.
wolf82 is offline   Reply With Quote