Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com

Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #16
onknees
getDare Sweetheart

THIS is WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

I dont see rep like a nice thing.
When you receive -rep for having done some humoristic comment and the text is "stop being smartass" you wonder what you can put in this board without being punished.
onknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #17
erick92
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onknees View Post
THIS is WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

I dont see rep like a nice thing.
When you receive -rep for having done some humoristic comment and the text is "stop being smartass" you wonder what you can put in this board without being punished.
Very true. Without rep people can speak their mind. I've also been in the position where I thought "Should I post this?" in fear I would get flamed with -rep. Hell, once I got -rep for making a comment on a story I read... But now we can voice our opinion, and have no competition.

23/M/USA
erick92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
JoMo
getDare Sweetheart

1) well done Depp, reputation was becomign silly and held no meaning, we'll probably be much better off without it for a bit.

2) should there be a thread to discuss possible changes to the reputation system? Hopefully someone will come up with a brilliant idea which will instantly banish all problems.
JoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
Davros
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
2) should there be a thread to discuss possible changes to the reputation system? Hopefully someone will come up with a brilliant idea which will instantly banish all problems.
From Depp's original post (and various other threads), it sounds like he has a masterplan sorted out already
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
JoMo
getDare Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
From Depp's original post (and various other threads), it sounds like he has a masterplan sorted out already
master plans(especially depp's) can be good, but an entire forum of people posting an idea on 1 thread can create ideas that no man alone could create, but if not, whatever Depp does will probably be ace anyways.
JoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #21
Night-1991
Account Banned

Maybe you could have some sort of thing that asks for you to type the letters you see after you've give rep 5 times, so rep spam is reduced.

Same with posts in forums!
Night-1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #22
starbucks95905

If anyone here has been to Newgrounds, they have a "vote power" system for their voting. Basically, the more you vote, the more vote power you get. Also, I believe experience points help increase your votepower by a certain percentage. I figure we could do something somewhat similar. Maybe something like the more experience points you have, the more vote power you get. Posts will somewhat reflect on that.

I will admit to giving -rep out for people who can't spell. I am just a critical asshole by nature though, when I feel a post is unintelligent I will -rep it. However, I may be a critical asshole but not a general asshole; I do leave meaningful comments ("learn how to spell," "don't spam," etc.). I'll agree to it being an issue though, as I was -rep'd for a single post reading "Maybe he should post a picture for proof." Someone told me it was against the rules, and I was aware of the rule and just didn't think of it at the time. I think if someone has a trend of breaking rules like that, they should get -rep'd; basically like spelling.

Okay, fine. Call me a hypocrite.

I don't do cam2cam for two reasons:
1. I use a Mac, nobody gives webcam support to Mac users on anything but Skype.
2. There's no reason to see me on webcam.

Also, I am not giving you my contact info unless I know you well. I am also not going to be a dare master as of yet.

Any requests for such will be ignored.

Last edited by starbucks95905; 08-07-2008 at 05:56 PM.
starbucks95905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #23
Night-1991
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucks95905 View Post
If anyone here has been to Newgrounds, they have a "vote power" system for their voting. Basically, the more you vote, the more vote power you get. Also, I believe experience points help increase your votepower by a certain percentage. I figure we could do something somewhat similar. Maybe something like the more experience points you have, the more vote power you get. Posts will somewhat reflect on that.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea!
Night-1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #24
starbucks95905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night-1991 View Post
That doesn't sound like a bad idea!
Yep. This is why we should discuss ideas, we can combine ideas to make an idea that not even Depp could think of. Two heads are better than one, I suppose.

I don't do cam2cam for two reasons:
1. I use a Mac, nobody gives webcam support to Mac users on anything but Skype.
2. There's no reason to see me on webcam.

Also, I am not giving you my contact info unless I know you well. I am also not going to be a dare master as of yet.

Any requests for such will be ignored.
starbucks95905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #25
erick92
Distinguished Member

2 heads may be better then one, but 100 heads are certainly better then 2.

23/M/USA
erick92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 AM   #26
Davros
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night-1991 View Post
Maybe you could have some sort of thing that asks for you to type the letters you see after you've give rep 5 times, so rep spam is reduced.

Same with posts in forums!
But you can only give so much rep out in a day anyway. Also, you can only give a member some rep every so often. So it's already limited.

As for the new ideas, I'm sure Depp has his own ideas on what he wants to do. Also, we've had many *idea posts* in the past so I'm sure he has something worked out.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:09 AM   #27
Hampers
Kiss Kiss FIRE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucks3.1415
Basically, the more you vote, the more vote power you get.
This sounds to me like it would lead to rep spamming in order to be able to... spam rep more.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #28
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

We've already had a rather recent thread filled with suggestions and even a poll to get an idea of how users felt about the old system here:

http://getdare.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=13264

The suggestions went from keeping the system the way it was from abolishing completely to make it like the one we have on Kink Talk (where you can only + rep & the negative is disabled) to even have rep mods (no thanks as far as I'm concerned btw)...

I'm pretty sure depp must have taken this thread into account & it also looks to me like he's already made his plan for it as this whole rep problem is not new at all. It only became worse in recent weeks... But if anyone has an idea I guess it can't hurt to post it there as well
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #29
vampire_girl
Distinguished Member

I think that, whatever kind of rep system you will take, it will fail as long people act childish about it (ironic coming from one of the youngest members, isn't it?).

So if there is another "rep system" on the way, please take it less serious everyone. This is a place to have fun, the only place I know where young people can really be treated equally as adults, and can have fun in a relatively safe and controlled (by all the mods and the report functions) environment. Don't break the loving community of getDare just because you're pissed off at someone or want to take "revenge" because someone had a different point of view.

In the end, I still think the rep system was great, but maybe it would have been even better if you could choose for yourself to disable it or not. But if you would choose to disable it, you wouldn't be able to give rep yourself either.

Anyhow, I trust in Depp to sort it all out and give a nice alternative if the rep points won't be coming back.

My limits are: no piss or poo, nothing openly public and nothing in my pussy. And noting illegal ofcourse. Also nothing with animals and stuff that makes me bleed.

I don't have a cam and i don't send pictures. There is no reason for you to see me naked so don't ask.

“If anything, we are enslaved more as human beings now than at any time, probably, in man's history. But it is so sugarcoated, it's so slick, it's so polished.”
Anton Szandor Lavey
vampire_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #30
Dare861
getDare Sweetheart

Personally, I've never had a problem with the reputation system. I've only gotten bad rep twice (I think) and I'm pretty sure they were for good reasons.

That being said, well done Depp. Kick some ass. This is your site, don't take any shit. The old rep system was tearing the site apart, and I back your decision 100%.

-DareDude

Meow.
Dare861 is offline   Reply With Quote