Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com > Suggestion Zone

Old 05-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Traffic Post-Building Threads

Having seen a large amount of these pop-up lately, I have two things to say.

1) What's the point of them? All they do, effectively, is bump up post counts. In one thread I saw one member who had posted about six or seven times, one after another, simply saying "Number # for you now". Just useless, and it's annoying seeing these pop-up constantly in Unread Messages. More annoying is the lame way some are just using it to bump post-counts. Posting crap like "Number # now" adds nothing of value to the site.

2) Maybe have a sub-forum for them (ala "Person Above" threads) or make it so these threads don't add to the post count (ala "Lounge Games"). I wouldn't ban them because I can see the attraction of such TORD threads (even if I do ultimately disagree with them), but they'd be better off in a new sub-forum, IMO. I, for one, don't want to see the first page of threads all being post-builders.

Any thoughts?
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 users say Thank You to Slenderman - Doctor for this post:
Old 05-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

3) Alternatively (to those who make/post in such threads), just be a little more creative. If you want 50 posts to build up before you have to do a task, make it so each individual post has to do something. Just anything to stop the useless "fourth post today, making #28" kinds of posts.

I hope it isn't just me who finds these threads just a little bit pointless/silly.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
nellybell
Truth or Dare Enthusiast

I personally find them to be terribly annoying. Especially when most of the things offered as post goals are things that would probably be given as dares anyway.

They almost seem like popularity contests in which you basically end up daring yourself as the OP is the one that sets the dares in the first place.

However, my biggest problem with them comes down to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by depp View Post
[*]When possible don't double post. Try and edit in additional information first.
That can be found on the getdare posting rules. What you find repeatedly on those threads is the same person posting two or more times in a row. You can't delete them without screwing up the whole count of the thread up to that point.

I think a set up like what we have with the lounge games would be great as long as there is enough of the threads and interest in general.

There was a nelly,
a very smelly enchanted nelly
sweet as vegemite could be
ahaha just kidding, but still loved just the same <3
nellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

^ Agreed on all counts.

I completely agree that most 'end results' are just plain boring dares. Instead of 'get my thread to 50 replies', just ask for sodding dares. Or, if you want a certain amount of 'whatevers', just post a poll.

What's the actual point of getting a thread to 50 posts, or 200 posts, or whatever? All it does is hog the first page of threads for no reason, and gives people an excuse to post (frankly) shite and bump their post counts. I wouldn't mind as much if some of them involved creativity (thus making each post useful, to a point), but I've seen stuff like:

Quote:
post 7! post 7! post 7! post 7! post 7! post 7! post 7! post 7!
...and it's just like o.O

But yeah. I agree with you, nelly