Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #1381
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Harkness View Post
And in two days you feel sick to the back teeth

In other news: Torchwood will now not show in the UK until 'late summer' however it will air in the US and Australia and Canada in less than three weeks. Safe to say the UK fans will not be impressed by such a time gap. It seems the BBC is selling out.
Any complete Doctor's era in two days will make you sick. I really can't see how it can be so bad. Unenjoyable, fine, but not like the way you've expressed your feelings.

Also, regarding Torchwood, you tell me how many UK fans are gunna wait? Americans download Who immediately after UK airing from the Internet. Guess what the UK fans of Torchwood are gunna do?

That said, I don't really care for Torchwood USA.
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #1382
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

In honesty i enjoyed Torchwood more than Doctor Who as many Doctor Who is hit and miss and sometimes at too wide an audience. Example, Fear Her, a girl putting on a slightly horse voice is apparently petrifying and singing scares a monster away (child audience)but then you have such a symbol of the Doctor lighting the Olympic flame which really only adults understand the full meaning of it. I agree its good it can be viewed at by all but i think RTD had an issue of imbalance. SM seems to work it out better, for example, Vampires of Venice, The Doctor bursts out of a cake and the adults laugh because it should be a stripper and the children laugh because the Doctor burst out of a cake.
That said Torchwood was always adult, Always adult humor and much more real world sci-fi and never had an issue of accompanying for all audiences. But i have to agree the USA look to have killed it from what i'v scraped from youtube before STARZ removed them. Looks very american, Guns , American Patriots and xenophobia
Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #1383
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
In honesty i enjoyed Torchwood more than Doctor Who as many Doctor Who is hit and miss and sometimes at too wide an audience. Example, Fear Her, a girl putting on a slightly horse voice is apparently petrifying and singing scares a monster away (child audience)but then you have such a symbol of the Doctor lighting the Olympic flame which really only adults understand the full meaning of it. I agree its good it can be viewed at by all but i think RTD had an issue of imbalance. SM seems to work it out better, for example, Vampires of Venice, The Doctor bursts out of a cake and the adults laugh because it should be a stripper and the children laugh because the Doctor burst out of a cake.
Torchwood was hit and miss, too, at one point.

Series 1 was all over the damn place, with a good episode followed by shite, then you'd get a couple of good episodes and more terrible ones. Also, interestingly, you pick "Fear Her" out. That's an average episode which goes bad towards the end. The torch scene is probably the worst offender; cheesy, cliche, "look at how good we are", rubbish. The commentator during the event shows no enthusiasm or voiceover skills and the people vanish but nobody cares, and this random man just carries the torch. The symbolism is there but the message and portrayal of events is weird. That said, RTD didn't write that story and it was shoehorned in at the last minute.

Moffat also does imbalance. "The Beast Below" was terrible (as was "Victory"), and Moffat acknowleges that. "Vampires" is also pretty average and lazy, and then you get some proper gems. This latest series, though I'm disliking the concept and the structure now, is solid though, with none of the episodes lowering the bar. Even "Curse" was average but had some bloody good stuff in there. This has been the most consistent run of stories we've had since Series 1, arguably.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #1384
Stellz
Distinguished Member

Location: A boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.

I hate to interupt this argument, but I just found this and we really need to take a moment to think about how absolutely badass Rory is.

29 She/Her Married & Monogamous
Owner of my pup and husband
Ask me about our adventures <3

Stellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #1385
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellz View Post
I hate to interupt this argument, but I just found this and we really need to take a moment to think about how absolutely badass Rory is.
Rory is the single best male companion ever.

Sorry Harry.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #1386
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

Rory is the single best male companion ever.

Sorry Harry.
Got to admit i am loving his character develop but to be honest Jamie, Jack Harkness and Ian are my favorites. He may join the elite.

Love that picture Stellz but Rory does die far to often.

And i wasn't talking about the quality but its target audience. Torchwood is clear adult with adult humor etc etc. Doctor Who tried to include children and adults and often fails. RTD struggled but SM seems to have it much better. As for the quality of coinsitencey This current series seems to be maintaining it very well. Perhaps it's more the big picture because in honesty 'curse' and the two 'flesh' episodes weren't too good.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #1387
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Got to admit i am loving his character develop but to be honest Jamie, Jack Harkness and Ian are my favorites. He may join the elite.

Love that picture Stellz but Rory does die far to often.

And i wasn't talking about the quality but its target audience. Torchwood is clear adult with adult humor etc etc. Doctor Who tried to include children and adults and often fails. RTD struggled but SM seems to have it much better. As for the quality of coinsitencey This current series seems to be maintaining it very well. Perhaps it's more the big picture because in honesty 'curse' and the two 'flesh' episodes weren't too good.
How could I forget Ian?! It's because I tend to coup him with Barbara; you can't have one without the other. Jamie's cool but I haven't seen enough of him to engage with the character yet.

And I disagree; everyone's struggled to find the right balance. Even back in the 60s, there were huge disagreements with how the show should look and run and capture various audiences. People forget that kids actually want to be scared (many believe you shouldn't make it too scary, and that's rubbish).

RTD was just a more varied writer. One week, you'd get silly "Partners" with walking fat blobs. And another, you'd get the utterly brilliant dark thriller of "Midnight" which was a rush-job. Instead of finding the balance in each episode, I feel RTD often had an episode for kids and then a more adult episode. Whereas Moffat has aimed to combine both elements into each story, rather than have a kid-friendly romp and then a dark adulty story.

And Moffat is slowly going down in my estimations as a writer. He was brilliant, now he's just alright. He gives us too much too soon, and falls back on his tropes. People accuse RTD of resets and daft get-outs, but then Moffat has his downsides with the 'timey wimey'. For example, with Rory. When he dies, if he dies, there's no impact because it's a running gag. River falls off the side of a skyscraper but the Doctor will just go back in her timestream and save her. Even though, logically, that last one with River works, to do it too much just lessens the immediate danger. There isn't any immediate danger anymore because you know Moffat will use one of his tricks. Tropes. Better word.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #1388
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

Moffet has done that and often builds up his stories too a conclusion we've half figured out. But then again Moffet is still only in his second series.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #1389
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Moffet has done that and often builds up his stories too a conclusion we've half figured out. But then again Moffet is still only in his second series.
Implying he'll get better?

If he's relying on old tropes and not succeeding very well this far, I doubt it'll get better. He has good ideas and good solid stories, but he ruins them with his 'look how clever I can be' insertions.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #1390
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

He annoys me with his riddles in the press. Looking at his interviews you see he never answer a question. His interview before series six was "A main character dies no gags or jokes unlike in the last series" but we know that can't be true.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #1391
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
He annoys me with his riddles in the press. Looking at his interviews you see he never answer a question. His interview before series six was "A main character dies no gags or jokes unlike in the last series" but we know that can't be true.
Every producer has done that.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #1392
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

HE is far worse.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #1393
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
HE is far worse.
So? It's his job to not answer questions
Old 06-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #1394
Captain Harkness
getDare Devil

In places i feel he could be better.
BBC need to clairfy what's going on as well as next year and 2013 are still in the air.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #1395
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
In places i feel he could be better.
BBC need to clairfy what's going on as well as next year and 2013 are still in the air.
The Beeb will probably clarify further post-S6 about the future.

Roll on the 50th

Advertisements
Kink Talk

Tags
doctor who, torchwood