Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

View Poll Results: Are you in favor for the Death Penalty?
Yes 44 27.16%
No 42 25.93%
Depends on the circumstances 76 46.91%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #46
slaveboy321

i'd say the death penalty should be used in only some very extreme situations, like treason or mass murder
slaveboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #47
Manbearpig
getDare Expert

I used to be deadset against it. However, in cases of terrorism or any kind of mass murder, then the possibility has to remain open. However, I think the possibility of someone remaining behind bars for their entire lifes seems far worse than ending their life early, especially in cases where those executed would be celebrated for being killed.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #48
Yossarian

You hear stories of some real scumbags. The sort of people who randomly abduct, torture, rape, maim and eventually kill for the sheer fun of it. They have denied someone their human rights for their own pleasure. So what entitles them to human rights?
Thats a controversial view, but there are some bad people out there.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #49
Manbearpig
getDare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
You hear stories of some real scumbags. The sort of people who randomly abduct, torture, rape, maim and eventually kill for the sheer fun of it. They have denied someone their human rights for their own pleasure. So what entitles them to human rights?
Thanks for this. I was trying to think of something for my last post on an example of where it would be acceptable in my views and this particular scenario would fall into such circumstances. A scumbag who has no regret or remorse or will have no one to celebrate their death (as a terrorist organization would)
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #50
SilverScar

Quote:
So what entitles them to human rights?
The chance to still be innocent.

Look, murder is a terrible thing, but you can’t help the victim, it won’t help them if you kill the murderer. But you can help some innocently convicted people by not killing them!
I'm a 24 years old gay male.
Sorry for my english, I know it's not perfect.
SilverScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #51
Bethany

I am in favor of the death penalty. just kill em all

Dislikes: Alot of pain,blood,scat.permanant and family involvment.
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #52
fred&ted
Distinguished Member

I'm against it, besides I think it would be worse spending the rest of your life in prison, have them in solitude all day by themselves. I see the death penalty as just an easy way out.

Dislike:Spankings, Nipple torture, Pain, Cum Eating and Semi Public

Limits:Family, Friends, Public, Messy and Photo's/Videos.

I want to push my limits.

GetDare Survivor! REBOOT!
fred&ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #53
florida87x

Quote:
I'm confused. What is controversial about this view? Isn't this pretty much the view of people who are for the death penalty?

My question about the death penalty is, what is the point? Who is helped by killing someone who is already behind bars?
florida87x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #54
PineForest

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida87x View Post
My question about the death penalty is, what is the point? Who is helped by killing someone who is already behind bars?
What is cheaper? feeding, sheltering a man for life in prison or just killing him?
Also what happens if he'd escape and killed again?

I don't agree with the death penalty, but in the right circumstances, i think it should be used.
PineForest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #55
SilverScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineForest View Post
What is cheaper? feeding, sheltering a man for life in prison or just killing him?
What's more important, money or innocent lifes?
And the government spend a lot more money for stupid purposes, I don't think feeding some prisoner would cost so much.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #56
florida87x

Quote:
Also what happens if he'd escape and killed again?

I don't agree with the death penalty, but in the right circumstances, i think it should be used.
If you worry about cost, why not just have him manufacturing license plates or something to help bring the cost down? Is cost really the reason that we think we should kill someone? The US jails millions of people, and the portion on death row being kept alive indefinitely would not cause much of an increase in costs.

As for the chances that he would escape and kill again, does this happen a lot? It seems sort of disingenuous to say that we should execute someone purely because we don't think the jail is secure enough to hold him. In that case, why didn't we just build a better jail? It isn't like we want the other people in it escaping and committing crimes again either.

And honestly, if you think that "under the right circumstances," the death penalty should be used, you are for the death penalty. Not many reasonable people are for it in the wrong circumstances.

One argument I heard against the death penalty was this:
Let's say it takes unanimous agreement between a judge and jury (like it did where I am from) to find someone guilty and sentence him to death. That's thirteen people, in some states.

Why is thirteen people the right number? Why not fourteen? Why not eleven? Or a hundred?

What is the number of people that need to believe a person should be killed before we kill them? If a thousand believed someone should be killed, would we do it without the trial? What's the magic number?
florida87x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #57
PineForest

This is one of these arguments that everyone has very different views, much like embryonic stem cell research. I think the death penalty should be only be applied to psychopathic serial killers. According to studies, psychopathy could be a genetic condition, but it can also be caused by environmental factors or a combination or both. These people get a buzz or aroused by killing.
Imagine them spending the rest of their life in prison getting of with the memories of killing people. Wouldn't it be easier to just eliminate them and not worry at all. Plus we also remove them from our gene pool, which is another plus.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #58
SilverScar

Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier to just eliminate them and not worry at all. Plus we also remove them from our gene pool, which is another plus.
Killing people because they have bad inherited attributes (genetic condition), cleaning the human gene pool from "filth", and selective breeding of human race, creating the „Übermensch” was one of the base ideas of Adolf Hitler. Since him, we know that these ideas are stupid, and dangerous.

And genetic diversity is good, the more diverse a race the more chance it has to survive. Sometimes, because of the changing environment, a formerly „bad” attribute can be the strongest one.

I don’t say psychopaths are good people, and will save us all, just I hate the idea to kill someone because he has bad genes. Treat them, as we treat other ill people – but at the moment, we don’t have any perfect psychiatric treatment for them, so the best thing to do is to lock them up.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #59
PineForest

But locking them up is so cruel, rotting away for life. I would rather die, than to be locked up for the rest of my life.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #60
redtiger

I support the concept but vehemently oppose its current application. The death penalty should only be applied to those few people who are such extreme sociopaths they have become predators of other humans (i.e. Ted Bundy, Alberto Salazar, Charles Manson, etc.). Unfortunately, the penalty is usually applied based on heinousness of the crime. One fit of rage resulting in an extremely violent act by an otherwise calm, rational person should not justify the death penalty. Likewise, that a serial killer smothers each of his victims for a painless death should not excuse him from being removed from the population as a predator.
redtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk