Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com > Suggestion Zone

Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #31
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokelake View Post
Actually Pingu, it is not by popularity. I explained ina post above of how it is not popularity.
Yes, but a lot of people will just vote for the person they think is most popular, so to you and to some others it isn't a popularity contest, but you cannot speak for everyone.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #32
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Anyway, getDare is still Depp's site as far as I know. So I think it's only fair and legitimate that he makes the final decision as he sees fit.

@lokelake: we do actually look at previous posts before selecting a mod. That aside from other factors that are not necessarily known from regular members for the most part.
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #33
Pingu
Be afraid

I've been modding for a long time, been part of some forums for a long time and I can tell you rather categorically that it comes down to being a popularity contest.

Even using your argument that it based on a persons post, that doesn't mean they will be a good mod. i.e Davros. Fine as a user, good quality of posts etc. and then he became a mod and it all went downhill.

Applications are a much fairer way then simple voting as some perhaps "unsung" heroes of the forum will be overlooked inevitably.

Last edited by Pingu; 05-02-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #34
vivala_dare
Distinguished Member

coyote mint idea I for one back you up.
vivala_dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #35
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

I like it, but I think it'd have to be like the voters would be a selected group.
No newbies, nobody who holds a grudge on mod ect.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

Old 05-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #36
vivala_dare
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop View Post
I like it, but I think it'd have to be like the voters would be a selected group.
No newbies, nobody who holds a grudge on mod ect.
Like senior and distuingished members only persay?
vivala_dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #37
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

No, I don't think the amount of posts really says the person is worthy of voting for or getting rid of a mod. I'm not sure how it'd work.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

Old 05-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #38
cheesey923
Distinguished Member

it would work but as in any suggestons there are good and bad sides to everything it would be good because we would know who mods are but you could become a mod simply by kissing the ass of all the getdare members so it might work might not

Revamped with a new outlook on this website!

Loves: cross dressing, wedgies, anal, oral, bi, feminization, sissy, cum eating.
Likes: anything that's not in my limits. Open to just about anything.
Limits. Extreme public(guaranteed caught by people I know) blood, scat.

Hoping to stay around for awhile now.
cheesey923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #39
Pikachu
Distinguished Member

I think the main issue of a vote off for mods would be that we would get a mod who is quite Bias to certain members or other Mods...

Allot of what mods do is very confidential... And I just think that sometimes human nature would not be able to resist telling there closer friends on the site and slowly word would get out about some of the more confidential situations...

I think an issue is that the members very rarely know the full situation behind a decision... Thus making the members disagree with the decision... And therefore making the members angry at the mods...

Remember not all members who are great posters or and awesome in the chat will make great Mods... Look at Davros for that example....AWESOME member high amount of posts most of them were of a very very very high quality..... But when he came a mod the power got to his head and he overreacted...

I mean lets provide an example

You have two members...

One of them is a relatively new member been on the site for about 6 months now and has racked up 800-1000 posts and is a very popular member of the site and has allot of allies/ friends on the site.
But has a history of getting angry and over reacting and preaching to the mods disagreeing about every second decision... and Has had several warnings/ infractions from Mods.
But the general public do not know about his infractions... Or his temper...

Whilst then we have another member
This member has been a member for one and a half years to two years...
He has only got around 500 posts from his time on the site... But his posts have always been of the highest quality.
And his opinions are always very well voiced and very mature.
And is still very active but does more reading that posting.
He has always been reporting posts ever since the feature came out and has never descended into an argument through pm's or through posts.
He is a relativly known member but doesn't have a huge amount of
Allies/ Friends on the site.
And has never received an infraction...
And he has never received an infraction.

Now the general public is going to vote for the first choice because not only does he post more actively but has got allot of friend's on the site and that means more votes.

Now the mods would want to choose the second member of the site...
As he has a better history with infractions... Has been around for longer... and has high quality posts over quantity.
Plus his opinions are better bought up instead of just randomly arguing and going off at the mods over certain decisions...

Now can you see a problem about making the choice of mods a popularity contest?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #40
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
I think the main issue of a vote off for mods would be that we would get a mod who is quite Bias to certain members or other Mods...

Allot of what mods do is very confidential... And I just think that sometimes human nature would not be able to resist telling there closer friends on the site and slowly word would get out about some of the more confidential situations...

I think an issue is that the members very rarely know the full situation behind a decision... Thus making the members disagree with the decision... And therefore making the members angry at the mods...

Remember not all members who are great posters or and awesome in the chat will make great Mods... Look at Davros for that example....AWESOME member high amount of posts most of them were of a very very very high quality..... But when he came a mod the power got to his head and he overreacted...

I mean lets provide an example

You have two members...

One of them is a relatively new member been on the site for about 6 months now and has racked up 800-1000 posts and is a very popular member of the site and has allot of allies/ friends on the site.
But has a history of getting angry and over reacting and preaching to the mods disagreeing about every second decision... and Has had several warnings/ infractions from Mods.
But the general public do not know about his infractions... Or his temper...

Whilst then we have another member
This member has been a member for one and a half years to two years...
He has only got around 500 posts from his time on the site... But his posts have always been of the highest quality.
And his opinions are always very well voiced and very mature.
And is still very active but does more reading that posting.
He has always been reporting posts ever since the feature came out and has never descended into an argument through pm's or through posts.
He is a relativly known member but doesn't have a huge amount of
Allies/ Friends on the site.
And has never received an infraction...
And he has never received an infraction.

Now the general public is going to vote for the first choice because not only does he post more actively but has got allot of friend's on the site and that means more votes.

Now the mods would want to choose the second member of the site...
As he has a better history with infractions... Has been around for longer... and has high quality posts over quantity.
Plus his opinions are better bought up instead of just randomly arguing and going off at the mods over certain decisions...

Now can you see a problem about making the choice of mods a popularity contest?

I see where you are going with that. So I have a solution. It could be like the presidents of the US. Go around
to tell crowds why they should pick him/her as president. So, we can have some members like in their blogs or somewhere, and they can tell the getdare community why they should pick him/her to be a mod.
lokelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #41
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Quote:
I see where you are going with that. So I have a solution. It could be like the presidents of the US. Go around
to tell crowds why they should pick him/her as president. So, we can have some members like in their blogs or somewhere, and they can tell the getdare community why they should pick him/her to be a mod.
This is exactly what we DO NOT want: people starting campaining about becoming mods... I think it's already been said earlier but getDare is not a country. It's a website. Things work a bit differently here...

We already ask users when we make it public to tell us why they want to be mods. So this idea is not really new. And, like I said, part of what we consider is not necessarily known in public forums and from regular users. You can't base such a decision only on what members bring to the site. We did this with Davros and it didn't work. We have to consider the person and his/her character and how we think they will handle some hard decisions we have to make sometimes. A lot of members are not fully aware of all the responsibilities that comes with being a moderator. That includes most of us. When I first started I was quite surprised when I realized what it was from the inside.

And we are also fully aware that some members seem to make it a sort of agenda about becoming mods. We already receive PMs regularly and well... some of these souns quite erm... insistant... All I can say is that starting campaining, either towards us or members is not the way to achieve that goal. If a member makes great contributions, is generally helpful around the site and show that they have a good all-around knowledge of the rules chances are a lot higher for them that we will consider them as potential staff members than those who criticize negatively without making any kind of real suggestions and/or make it a point to campain in open forums, chatroom and private messages.
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #42
lokelake
getDare Succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
This is exactly what we DO NOT want: people starting campaining about becoming mods... I think it's already been said earlier but getDare is not a country. It's a website. Things work a bit differently here...

We already ask users when we make it public to tell us why they want to be mods. So this idea is not really new. And, like I said, part of what we consider is not necessarily known in public forums and from regular users. You can't base such a decision only on what members bring to the site. We did this with Davros and it didn't work. We have to consider the person and his/her character and how we think they will handle some hard decisions we have to make sometimes. A lot of members are not fully aware of all the responsibilities that comes with being a moderator. That includes most of us. When I first started I was quite surprised when I realized what it was from the inside.

And we are also fully aware that some members seem to make it a sort of agenda about becoming mods. We already receive PMs regularly and well... some of these souns quite erm... insistant... All I can say is that starting campaining, either towards us or members is not the way to achieve that goal. If a member makes great contributions, is generally helpful around the site and show that they have a good all-around knowledge of the rules chances are a lot higher for them that we will consider them as potential staff members than those who criticize negatively without making any kind of real suggestions and/or make it a point to campain in open forums, chatroom and private messages.
Chloe, I am figuring you out. I think you are one of those "invisible" members.

Oh well, so this suggestion may never get accepted. At least it was a new idea on the table.
lokelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #43
Merlin
Misschievous's Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop View Post
Hmm that is already the case ... the group are the other mods with depp having the last word...
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #44
Pikachu
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Its a website/ Forum not a country....

And why campaign? I mean Mods are just glorified janitors...(We clean up your mess ) we can can suggest ideas but in the end everything comes down to depp....were just his little helpers.

I mean and if people campaign how can they keep an election promise... Especially if the site has no funds... and all our final decisions are made by someone else.

I mean the site seems to be run pretty smoothly atm and we are dealing with everything as it comes up.

As for the best way to become a mod.... I personally think the best way toput your name forward is to become an active member of the site.... Provide good discussion... Provide great threads.... Not get into trouble with us

And most of all generally enjoy yourself on this site.... I mean people join this site to be part of an active TOD community (although it has gone a bit further than that now ) don't rant just try and be constructive and engage in good discussion or bring out great ideas.

If you do that you will get noticed.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #45
NYDude

Send a message via AIM to NYDude Send a message via Yahoo to NYDude

Good concept, but has the ability to turn out either really good or really bad.
NYDude is offline   Reply With Quote