Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com > Suggestion Zone

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on the current rep system?
I like it as it is! 10 34.48%
I would prefer the KT system (neg. rep. disabled) 10 34.48%
There should be a "rep mod" 5 17.24%
Would be nice to have a "disable rep" option 6 20.69%
I hate it!!! Get rid of it!! 4 13.79%
I don't care! 5 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #31
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTrYsTaNx View Post
Oh ok Thanks. I don't think that would be a good idea because the negative rep gives the option to criticise people and for it to mean something. Those who have many negative's are spamming the site so must therefore be punished in a way that I don't think is severe enough. When people get to a certain point I think probabtion shuld be put in order. Of course this should only be done when a kindly mod goes through the rep to check that none of it was stupid and not deserved.
I agree with you Trystan that negative repshould be given as some sort of constructive criticism but I can tell you that very few use it with that in mind. When I have to look into other users rep I see plenty of comments such as "you suck!" or negative rep is given for stupid reasons as even avatars & sigs. I even got some stuff like "ZZzzzzzZZZzzz" as comments for - rep given to me. I can see a lot of users only use it as a way to get back at users they don't like without really even trying to explain what they don't like. Not everybody does that, of course, but yet very few - rep comments are hardly constructive.

And when members are blatantly abusing the rules I don't think a few red dots will stop them (remember slave456?) It's not punishing them at all & on the contrary it seems to only eitherinfuriate them or even encourage them to do even worse (one user even admitted to me via PM that he wanted more red rep & that was the reason why he was posting shit) We already have rules & staff to enforce them so when posters are really violating the rules other users should use the report button before using the rep one imo
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #32
Hampers
Kiss Kiss FIRE!

The other problem Ihave with mods checking rep is that I really can't be bothered. If you weigh up how much rep is sent every day against how much we already do, it equals not much fun.

Also, may I point out the irony: That post I made in the Trashcan? To show the sort of posts that negative rep? I got -repped for it.

Overall, I don't think there is an effective system for controlling rep, without placing a person in charge (in which case their judgements become highly subjective and will have people screaming 'UNFAIR' on every second ruling) or disabling the rep system altogether (which defies the purpose of trying to control it).

So, I think we all need to be more appropriate with our use of rep.

But will it happen?

Ha.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #33
Trystaan
getDare Succubus

Surely semi mods could be employed to do that job though Hamps?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #34
Davros
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTrYsTaNx View Post
Surely semi mods could be employed to do that job though Hamps?
They could, possibly, but how do you pick them? And it still isn't fair that certain people should choose whether rep is valid or void. It'd cause more rows and arguements.

I say it's fine as it is
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #35
ramsies11
Distinguished Member

i agree
*post is too goddammed short*
ramsies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #36
Manbearpig
getDare Expert

people should also remember that once you give someone bad rep, you normally cant give that same person any rep for a while. so, really, its hard for a person to attack a person so many times because of rep.

i do like the rep person because (sometimes) you can see what you are doing wrong. or maybe if you had a post that got a lot of bad rep, after a while, you might be able to realize what you did wrong. it allows for learning. sometimes its used bad, and i will be the first to admit, that i have given bad rep for pretty stupid reasons (especially after it first came out). however, now i try to use it in a way for constructive critism (keyword, i try). so when u get someone giving you rep saying, "you are stupid," remember that could be someone who really isn't use to the system or just a plain idiot. plus this system is way better than dare points or whatever they were called

Will not do: Anal, Messy, Public

Kik:Mbpgetdare
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #37
vivala_dare
Distinguished Member

im so glad i made this thread

rep should go then there would be no problems. If you like some one then tell them if u dont and have a problem settle it on msn or summmat not on rep pms or threads

so get rid of rep and everything will be settled
vivala_dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #38
Davros
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivala_dare View Post
im so glad i made this thread

rep should go then there would be no problems. If you like some one then tell them if u dont and have a problem settle it on msn or summmat not on rep pms or threads

so get rid of rep and everything will be settled
But people will argue against that. People like rep. It's meant to be fun. If it's taken away, it defeats tackling the problem. Removing rep is like running away from something. This has been discussed loads over the past year or so. It's fine.

Maybe a better option would be to have a "Disable rep" option in the control panel so you can disable your rep feature (getting and giving). But then those who like the rep can keep it?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #39
Trystaan
getDare Succubus

I would never want to see rep go. Unless it was replaced with a more serious system. Such as more impacted effects of Negative rep.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #40
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Since opinions about the current rep system we have here are seemingly quite divided & it has been also discussed & criticized in the past I have decided to make a little poll here (hopefully viva won't mind )

The poll is just for us to get an idea of how much people like it, hate it, would like it to stay but have some changes... I basically took some of the suggestions from this thread to put in there.

Note that the results of the poll don't mean that the rep system will change. This is up to depp to decide whether there's a need to make any changes to it. But the idea behind the poll is just to get an idea on getDare citizens' feelings towards the rep system
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #41
Davros
Account Banned

I voted for:

Would be nice to have a "disable rep" option
and
I like it as it is!

because I like it how it is and I think the people who dislike it should be allowed to disable it (giving and getting for complete fairness) instead of putting the people who like it out.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #42
oreo_is_back
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via Yahoo to oreo_is_back

Don't.Get.Me.Started.On.Rep. Lawl. But I think it's ok. Don't think it should be gone alltogether. =]
Maybe have different colours other then green though. =D Like....Ehm.... Pink? Well, for girls.
Or like... I don't know. Have a range of multicolour? So a person could,for example, pick Light colours for good [ baby pink, baby blue, yellow etc] and darker colours for bad? [ Red (yes), black, dark blue etc]

Last edited by oreo_is_back; 07-09-2008 at 01:58 PM.
oreo_is_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #43
vivala_dare
Distinguished Member

good idea for the poll chloe

get rid of rep get rid of rep get rid of rep
vivala_dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #44
Davros
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivala_dare View Post
good idea for the poll chloe

get rid of rep get rid of rep get rid of rep
You're a tad biased aren't you

Think about those who like it as it is. Don't you think an option to disable rep would be better?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #45
oreo_is_back
getDare Sweetheart

Send a message via Yahoo to oreo_is_back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
You're a tad biased aren't you

Think about those who like it as it is. Don't you think an option to disable rep would be better?
YES! Public disable!