Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Tangents > Lounge

Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
i own you
Account Banned

there is no place called jewland, the closes place there is to a jewish place is jerusalem which is in israel, but israelis are not all jewish, jewish is not a nation there is no place on earth where you can say that people who live there are jewish because thats where they are from

is people from england are english

judaism is a religion, hence the ism

judaism is nothing more then the religion of jews, it may not have always been this way, but it is now

all religions are basically the same anyway and im not even talking about them being bullshit

if you ask me anyone who cannot believe in evolution and has to fall back on a religion because they are too narrow minded to believe in science and logic, is an idiot
i own you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #17
imaslave

i believe in evolution, and religion...what's the problem here...
imaslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
lydiab6

Quote:
Originally Posted by i own you View Post
judaism is nothing more then the religion of jews, it may not have always been this way, but it is now

all religions are basically the same anyway and im not even talking about them being bullshit

if you ask me anyone who cannot believe in evolution and has to fall back on a religion because they are too narrow minded to believe in science and logic, is an idiot
First, You yourself state that Judaism is the religion of Jews. You contradict your whole point by saying that because you are recognizing Jews as people. Jews are Jews, and are clasiffied as such because they come from Judea, the northern half of the ancient kingdom of Israel.Ever hear of the lost tribes of Israel?They were the southern half. Around the year 70 ACE, the Romans took total control of the land, but the people of Judea stuck together as Jews and maintained their national identity. It is only within the last 100 years that Jews are not recognized as a nation, and that is because of the creation of the reform movement which broke away from the nationality of being Jewish and moved the focus to the religion. Jewish ghettos developed around the world where Jews moved after being kicked out of their homes. In the same way that sections developed in New York City as people go to new places they gather into groups of like nations, other people who understand their culture.

Second, yes all religions are basically the same, and while their politics may be bullshit in many cases, the original purpose of religion still stands as a way to understand things in the world that people do not understand normally.Religion is a way to create hope in a really depressing world. Religious communities developed as support systems so that when things get bad for an individual there are others around to help them with their pain.

Third, believing in science has nothing to do with religion or not. While I would agree that religious fanatics that deny scientific developments are crazy, there is nothing wrong with having faith in something. Science will not help you if you have an ill parent and doctors have said there is nothing left to be done. In cases like that people turn to their religions and call out to what they feel inside rather than what they know in their heads. And even if the parent dies, the religion stands as a place where they can mourn and ask questions like why did they die, without being told the medical reason. So your last statement about evolution has nothing to do with your condemnation of religion.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #19
ewitch
Distinguished Member

The normal criteria for desiding whether a group is a nation normaly looks at some of the following:-

National homeland, common language, common history, shared culture, common desent, common Religion/values, comunity.

Jews meet all the criteria and hence are a nation. Judaisium as a religon. Is being a Jew and Jewish nesacerly the same thing? No but there is such a large overlap of people between the two that terms are often used without clear definition of what they are refering to.
ewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #20
i own you
Account Banned

it is ridiculous that i get a message saying that my message was very ignorant

surely thats just your opinion??

and you gave your opinion for me voicing my opinion, am i not allowed an opinion??? or is it just im not allowed an opinion thats different from yours???

israel may once, thousands of years ago been a nation of jews, and the vast jewish population may still live in israel, but that doesnt mean that because someone is jewish that they must be from israel, nor does it mean that someone from israel must be jewish, in this day and age there is no such thing as a nation of jews and i dont care if people think im ignorant for saying as such, because i think you are ignorant for disputing the fact

jews are people of jewish faith, this could be someone from israel, usa, australia, india, england, anywhere on earth

also to the person who says they believe in evolution AND judaism, surely a conflict of interest there??? how can you believe that man has evolved from animals millions of years ago, yet still believe that your so called god created everything 2 thousand years ago???

anyway, religion is nothing but a scape goat for the weak minded, blah blah blah fall back on your empty beliefs, i choose to believe science, of which there is evidence, you have no evidence of any god or anything remotely like that so maybe we should just go with logic on this one???

science will help you a HELL of a lot more then religion ever will if you have a sick family member or friend, any advances in medecine and any other treatments are purely scientific, not religious, those are things that help make sick people well again, not preying to your little god and HOPING that someone might get better, maybe 1000 years ago i mightve believed something that ridiculous, but not now

Last edited by i own you; 01-14-2008 at 06:24 AM.
i own you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #21
SubMissChievous
Prodigy

Please guys stay on topic! This thread started by lydia was to get to know if there other GD members who are Jewish. Not to debate or argue which religion is best or whether science is superior to religion.
SubMissChievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #22
lydiab6

Quote:
Originally Posted by i own you View Post
it is ridiculous that i get a message saying that my message was very ignorant

surely thats just your opinion??

and you gave your opinion for me voicing my opinion, am i not allowed an opinion??? or is it just im not allowed an opinion thats different from yours???

israel may once, thousands of years ago been a nation of jews, and the vast jewish population may still live in israel, but that doesnt mean that because someone is jewish that they must be from israel, nor does it mean that someone from israel must be jewish, in this day and age there is no such thing as a nation of jews and i dont care if people think im ignorant for saying as such, because i think you are ignorant for disputing the fact

jews are people of jewish faith, this could be someone from israel, usa, australia, india, england, anywhere on earth

also to the person who says they believe in evolution AND judaism, surely a conflict of interest there??? how can you believe that man has evolved from animals millions of years ago, yet still believe that your so called god created everything 2 thousand years ago???

anyway, religion is nothing but a scape goat for the weak minded, blah blah blah fall back on your empty beliefs, i choose to believe science, of which there is evidence, you have no evidence of any god or anything remotely like that so maybe we should just go with logic on this one???

science will help you a HELL of a lot more then religion ever will if you have a sick family member or friend, any advances in medecine and any other treatments are purely scientific, not religious, those are things that help make sick people well again, not preying to your little god and HOPING that someone might get better, maybe 1000 years ago i mightve believed something that ridiculous, but not now
It is not an opinion that some of the information you stated as fact was incorrect, such as stating that there is no such thing as a Jewish nation. and ignorance would be the wrong word in this situation. Here, by continuing to dispute this fact I am being insane, the definition of which is to repeat the same action and expect different results.

I said nothing about Jews having to come from Israel. originally that was the homeland, but then Jews were kicked out and dispersed and now live many places.

And it is easy to believe in the two. For me, God is that little bit of luck that shows up sometimes. The stories of the bible are stories, meant to teach lessons and values. We all tell stories to teach these things. Think of little red riding hood. The point of that story was to teach children to listen to their parents and stay on the path, don't go wander off. You know that no wolf will come talk to you and then eat you, but its that little extra fear that may keep you in line.A beleif in the absolute truth of the bible can be seen as ridiculous, but a beleif in something is not. People are insignificant and want to feel that random things aren't really random.

You've never looked around at nature and seen the immense beauty there, and felt so in tune with it that it didn't matter whether it was God or evolution?

and thank you Chloe, that was my original intention, to find other Jews whether by religion OR ethnicity.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #23
lucky
Account Banned

hmm one thing was right in the bible: that the jews won't have their own country (don't remember if the old or new thestament, I'm catholic). But there is the same God and a lot of fake religions around.

Anyway the topic as I remember was just a simple "answer if you are a jew" and not a religion oppinion sallad.

I am currently blackmailed and I am not sure about my limits...
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Kink Talk