Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Special > getDare.com > Suggestion Zone

Old 06-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
Night-1991
Account Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

That's daft. No other forum does that. A rating is meant to be quick, efficient and easy. And having a list of everyone who votes is just... well, picky (for want of a better word).
But it'd give the OP a good example of who liked it, and who hated it.

Plus, it'd sort out that "problem" with the bored forum goer just rating threads one star.
Night-1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #17
Night-1991
Account Banned

Quote:

I can see that argument but, overall, no.

I know which stories to read because of ratings. I know who puts effort into their threads etc. It's handy.
What if, lets say Betty put alot of thought into one of her threads and she gets a "ONE STAR" for it by a jealous dude. And someone like 444 writes a boring thread and she gets a "FIVE STAR"

It's kind of unfair.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night-1991 View Post
But it'd give the OP a good example of who liked it, and who hated it.

Plus, it'd sort out that "problem" with the bored forum goer just rating threads one star.
Yeah but part of the charm is that it's anonymous. If people want to show their appreciation, we have the "Thanks" button too. And we should focus on the positives. If people vote a thread one star, well, see it and move on. It's not the end of the world. Initially, I was peeved but I couldn't care less now. As I say everytime something like this happens, it's a website. And on websites are trolls, spammers and people out to cause controversy just for a laugh. Don't let them win.
Slenderman - Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
What if, lets say Betty put alot of thought into one of her threads and she gets a "ONE STAR" for it by a jealous dude. And someone like 444 writes a boring thread and she gets a "FIVE STAR"

It's kind of unfair.
Then others will see it and probably vote it up.

Ignore the twats and move on. The majority of stuff is fairly rated, especially in the forums.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
Night-1991
Account Banned

Quote:
And on websites are trolls, spammers and people out to cause controversy just for a laugh. Don't let them win.
That troll must be one very bored troll then.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #21
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
That troll must be one very bored troll then.
That's part of the job for a troll. Or a spammer. Or whatever.

Ultimately, we get rid of star ratings and the whole forum has to suffer. We all lose out. And that one person wins. It's stupid. There are 100s of members here and letting one or two win is just... well, yeah.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #22
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

I agree with Doctor here.
And if it was made so you have to put why you rated it whatever you did, no one would rate and it would be pointless because you could just post why in a comment and that ruins to entire pointing of expressing how you feel about a thread without posting in it.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #23
Night-1991
Account Banned

Quote:
Ultimately, we get rid of star ratings and the whole forum has to suffer. We all lose out. And that one person wins. It's stupid. There are 100s of members here and letting one or two win is just... well, yeah.
We lost the Rep system because of some arseholes abusing it. Things get abused and the normal people have to suffer because of it.

I don't think the Mods want to lose more community interaction within Getdare. We've got the thanks button.

However, blogs shouldn't have the ratings, comments are for that....Like someone right now just rated one of my dares "one star". But let that arsewipe get on with it. They're missing a cool dare, and i've had good comments from the dare too.

Last edited by Night-1991; 06-14-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
We lost the Rep system because of some arseholes abusing it. Things get abused and the normal people have to suffer because of it.

I don't think the Mods want to lose more community interaction within Getdare. We've got the thanks button.

However, blogs shouldn't have the ratings, comments are for that.
That's part of my point. People will always find something to abuse. Yeah, okay, if ratings go there isn't much else to abuse, but something will happen. And the forum becomes less like a forum because it loses its basic features.

The "Thanks" button is great but you can't see how many have thanked it from thread listings. If that could be shown, maybe the rating system could go. But thread listings need something to show quality. (You can argue they don't so every thread is equal, but it's more efficient and easier to have some system).

I agree solely on removing blog ratings though. As I said before, blogs are personal. Blogs are places where we can write what we want, whenever we want, within reason. It shouldn't be judged or rated. The comments serve that purpose. Or, if we can turn comments off (which we can), we should be allowed full control and there should be a "Turn ratings off" on everyone's blog.

Just my two cents. Even though I use pounds and pence.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #25
Night-1991
Account Banned

Or we could have some "Like" "Dislike" thing like Facebook maybe. But even the lowest rated threads can be hidden gems.

Blogs, i mean...what if someone writes about that a member of their family has passed on, and they get a one star for that blog. How hurtful would that be?

Disrespectful more the better word.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #26
Slenderman - Doctor
Truth or Dare Zealot

Quote:
Or we could have some "Like" "Dislike" thing like Facebook maybe.
But then the spammer person would just go for "dislike". I know it's unbalanced but if that happened, I think it'd have to be "like" only. That'd stop twats. Also, if someone then doesn't like it, they just won't "like" it. Simples
Old 06-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #27
BettyBoop
Angel of Dare

You can't really insult someone because they didn't like your dare/story/thread, maybe they just didn't like it.
I don't see the big problem, and I don't really think anyone "has to suffer", just because something they wrote on the internet got rated badly. And if you know it's a troll, you know it doesn't even have to count particularly.
But I like the idea of a like button, but then that's really just like a Thanks button. I like the rep idea with only positive rep also.

Boop Boop de Boop.
female, engurrland.
Ask me anything, click.
My tumblr. 18+

BettyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #28
theone
getDare Succubus

Yes, the star rating system can be abused by trolls as it can also be used as a popularity contest by friends of the OP.

However the real practical problem with the star rating system is that so few people use it. Low voting equates to poor or inaccurate ratings. Especially given the above. Inaccurate ratings consequently depicts a flawed feature.

Granted there is no big deal with the current system, apart from the obvious frustration shared by some posters on this thread. If consideration could be given to a more positive system, I think that would serve a more realist purpose on this site.

Betty has rightfully pointed out that may result in a sort of duplicate feature being akin to another "Thanks button." The obvious solution would be a "positive only" star rating system, but then that would pose a problem for historic continuity.

Perhaps in conclusion all we can do is accept that the current star rating system, may not reflect an accurate picture as we would like.

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals
interpreted by your brain. Morpheus (The Matrix).

Will Try: Tea
Limits: Will not eat baby food.

Last edited by theone; 06-14-2010 at 05:49 PM.
theone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #29
Mere
Account Banned

My little suggestion is, let us see who rated it and how much, or restrict it to the moderators

I dominate.
.. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]♔
Mere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #30
getDare Sweetheart

I have a better idea. Give us the option to have your blog/post rated.

Man, my penis is so big if I laid it out on a keyboard it'd go all the way from A to Z

Ohhhhsnap.

Hello.
444 <3 Softeyes
and we're in a relationship.
So, advances towards softeyes would very much not be appreciated.
TQTQTQ
444 is offline   Reply With Quote