Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Daddy's Little girl!

Welcome to the thoughts of Leona.
To the right you will find her insanity,
To the left you will find her half-reality,
In the centre of it all, you will find
him.
Rate this Entry

Dsps

Posted 05-25-2008 at 12:21 PM by Oreo_here

Ok I think I blogged about my sleeping problem, or if not I am now. But aye. My friend found this a couple of days ago on Wikipedia I'm not sure if the information is accurate, but it's definately accurate to me. I'm going to the Doctors on Wednesday about it. I got told for the past four years I was just lazy and shit, so I believed it. But after reading that, I think I should Definately go.
Along with this I tend to lose my memory. Sometimes of whole day's. I can remember but not -EVERYTHING- of what I did.

Delayed sleep-phase syndrome (DSPS), also known as delayed sleep-phase disorder (DSPD) or delayed sleep-phase type (DSPT), is a circadian rhythm sleep disorder, a chronic disorder of the timing of sleep, peak period of alertness, core body temperature, hormonal and other daily rhythms relative to societal norms. People with DSPS tend to fall asleep well after midnight and have difficulty waking up in the morning.

Often, people with the disorder report that they cannot sleep until early morning, but they fall asleep at about the same time every "night", no matter what time they go to bed. Unless they have another sleep disorder such as sleep apnea in addition to DSPS, patients can sleep well and have a normal need for sleep. Therefore, they find it very difficult to wake up in time for a typical school or work day. If, however, they are allowed to follow their own schedule, e.g. sleeping from 4 a.m. to noon, they sleep soundly, awaken spontaneously, and do not feel sleepy again until their next "night".

The syndrome usually develops in early childhood or adolescence and sometimes disappears in adolescence or early adulthood. It can be to a greater or lesser degree treatable depending on the severity, but has not yet been found to be fully curable.

DSPS was first formally described in 1981 by Dr. Elliot D. Weitzman and others at Montefiore Medical Center.[2] It is responsible for 7–10% of cases where patients complain of chronic insomnia.[3] However, as few doctors are aware of its existence, it often goes untreated or is treated inappropriately. DSPS is frequently misdiagnosed as primary insomnia or as a psychiatric condition.

Hm, so has anyone suffered this before?
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4023 Comments 4
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Interessant, can't say I've ever heard of it.

Good luck with your GP, let's hope he/she knows their stuff.
  2. Old Comment
    nope, i know people who have M.E and people who have sleep problems, youjust have to manage it, the doctor will probaly give you very strong versions of nytol. say take this everynight at lets say 11pm you will be asleep by 132. do it for a month and it will become habit and you will start to do it naturaly
  3. Old Comment
    I guess I could try,eh. >.>
    Updated 05-25-2008 at 01:30 PM by Oreo_here
  4. Old Comment
    the doctors will say the same thing, my mum had sleeping problems due to her job!

unless you are willing to help yourself and try and get early nights then there is only so much they can do without drugging you up!