Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > The Butterfly Effect

A random assortment of reports, thoughts, ramblings and information. Pretty much a view inside my wonderfully complicated, sometimes broken, and entertaining mind.
Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

The Butterfly Project

Posted 01-22-2017 at 02:08 PM by Butterfly
Updated 02-08-2017 at 07:02 PM by Butterfly

I have not kept it a secret that I have used self harm in the past as a coping mechanism. I never really cut, but I would hit myself until I bruised, or scratch at my skin until it would cause marks and draw blood. It is the only thing that used to be able to release the tension, end my panic attacks, or make me feel again.

Thankfully, despite having urges at times, I have not self harmed in over a year. However, I still do struggle with those urges, and at times they are too hard to ignore.

Over time, I have developed my own techniques to fight the urges. However, a friends recently told me about The Butterfly Project. I wish I had known about it sooner. I thought I would share it with all of you:

Rules:
1. When you feel like you want to self harm, take a marker, pen or sharpie and draw a butterfly over the area you would self harm.
2. Name your butterfly after a loved one or something who really wants you to get better.
3. You must let the butterfly fade naturally. NO scrubbing it off.
4. If you self harm before the butterfly is gone, you've killed it. If you don't, it lives.
5. If you have more than one butterfly, self harming one, kills them all.
6. Another person may draw them on you. These butterflies are extra special. Take good care of them.
7. If you don't self harm, feel free to draw a butterfly to support them.

I am going to be starting to do this. I am going to both draw butterflies for myself if I need to, and I will draw them for you; for anybody who needs me to show my support. Because I believe that we are all in this together.

Because of this, I would like to create both a kik group and a Line Messenger group called The Butterfly Project. For anybody who has ever self harmed, considered self harming, or wants to support somebody who self harms. Please feel free to send me a message and I can add you to the group My username for both messenger apps is Butterfly.cm. Let's all support each other.

If you do not have kik or Line, and would like some support, please feel free to message me via PM and I will do what I can.

You are NOT alone!

Views 841 Comments 4
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Plain awesomeness. Thanks for sharing.
  2. Old Comment
    The butterfly project is really beautiful. I hope anyone who can benefit from it will take advantage of this method.
  3. Old Comment
    Butterfly, this is utterly beautiful and amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this, and for the love and support you offer. You're lovely <3
    Posted 01-23-2017 at 03:26 AM by naughtylittlegirl naughtylittlegirl is offline
  4. Old Comment
    Thank you! I haven't yet had anybody reach out, but I hope that when they do, this is here for them!