Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > MBP's Place of Random Things That Pop into My Brain

My actual thoughts. I could care less if you disagree. I welcome feedback; except from the stupid. Go away.
May contain things you don't want to hear or don't care about. Once again, I could care less. The opinions are mine and do not reflect anything, except that I might be an ass to some people.
Rate this Entry

Good Job United States Judicial System (Bad Job California once again)

Posted 08-04-2010 at 02:03 PM by Manbearpig
Updated 08-04-2010 at 09:29 PM by Manbearpig

Now, I am not a fan of California usually. I just don't like the place. But I applaud the judge who overturned the gay marriage ban in that state today. All I have to say is great job! Now if only other states can follow...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2131 Comments 14
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 14

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Well it's a constitutional right that states get to make up their own marriage laws. Which depends on how the people of that state choose to vote.

So, if the people of each state don't want it... it won't happen. Doesn't matter what the media or anybody else thinks.

Most likely in California it will get banned again because the voters vote against it every time... and then some judge rules out their voting... and then they vote it out again... and the cycle continues.
  2. Old Comment
    Yeah I guess. I mean, one of the main reasons why I am supporter of it is because we studied the 14th amendment my senior year of high school, the Equal Rights Amendment which states in Section 1:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The US Constitution
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    I know it was created for the rights of the African Americans after the Civil War, but it has extended to Woman's Rights and the Handicapped since then. Eventually it was going to get to the homosexual community. The Judge who ruled on the case said a lot about things that I 100% agree on including:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judge Walker
    "Individuals do not generally choose their sexual orientation. No credible evidence supports a finding that an individual may, through conscious decision, therapeutic intervention or any other method, change his or her sexual orientation."
    AND

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judge Walker
    "Same-sex couples are identical to opposite-sex couples in the characteristics relevant to the ability to form successful marital unions. Like opposite-sex couples, same-sex couples have happy, satisfying relationships and form deep emotional bonds and strong commitments to their partners. Standardized measures of relationship satisfaction, relationship adjustment and love do not differ depending on whether a couple is same-sex or opposite-sex."
    One other thing that I could not find was something the Judge said along the lines that the Proposition was created on fear that Gay people would make young children gay, something I also 100% agree with. I have stated previously that this is a big issue with me since two of my close friends happen to be gay. There is nothing wrong with them what-so-ever. If people now a days can't accept homosexuals into our societies, they are no better than people who can't accept African Americans (in the United States), Hispanics, Muslims or any other group discriminated upon.
  3. Old Comment
    more like "bad job california for voting for this in the first place" and "good job federal judge for judicious (aren't I witty?) use of the 14th am."
    Posted 08-04-2010 at 09:12 PM by Mephistopheles Mephistopheles is offline
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Comment
    more like "bad job california for voting for this in the first place" and "good job federal judge for judicious (aren't I witty?) use of the 14th am."
    Good point. Should have thought of that

Edit: Title has been changed
  5. Old Comment
    I'm just never in favor of something that takes away state's rights... or rights that belong to the voters. No matter how I feel about the issue.

I personally think it's silly to care so much about how other people want to live their lives. If it bothers you so much, then go live on a deserted island and only invite people who think like you do to live with you.
  6. Old Comment
    I just couldn't understand why this could be passed in their first place. It was stated yesterday that the campaign was based off fear of people's children becoming gay and hatred of homosexuals. I honestly don't know. I respect voters rights and all that, but we need to become more tolerant of other people
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Comment
    we need to become more tolerant of other people
    Definitely. I think we just differ in opinion on how that should happen, but I agree with your sentiment. (:

I like your blogs.
  8. Old Comment
    "overturned the gay marriage ban"

What does that mean?
  9. Old Comment
    In 2008, a very fought out campaign happened in California called California Proposition 8, better known simply as Prop 8. At the time, gay marriages were legal in the state in California. Proponents of the measure were afraid homosexual people would take over the schools and such. It however violated homosexual's civil rights. It was voted to be approved, which left same sex marriages illegal.

On Wednesday, a Judge overruled it after a homosexual couple sued and won. However, no same sex marriages will be made pending an appeal.
  10. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetsong View Comment
    Definitely. I think we just differ in opinion on how that should happen, but I agree with your sentiment. (:

I like your blogs.
    Oh absolutely. Just remember, America=sue.

And thank you. I enjoy writing them
  11. Old Comment
    Also, in somewhat related news, good job Mexico for upholding a law legalizing gay marriages!
  12. Old Comment
    I never actually put a real comment in here because MBP already knows my stance on this.
  13. Old Comment
    And i have yet to understand it
  14. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Comment
    And i have yet to understand it
    Sometimes great minds do not think alike. One mind must always triumph over the other.

Yeah I try to talk fancy there, dont laugh!