Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > What Strikes My Mind

An assortment of my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and poor attempts at humor, all rolled into one easily digestable package.
Rate this Entry

What happens if I...oops. Uh-oh.

Posted 09-10-2009 at 08:29 PM by Odiefrom

I was thinking about people's limits. I have found three main catagories of people on how they set up their limits:

1. The free bird shouting "I have no limits! Dare me!" These people are new, truly daring, or just ignorant of what 'limitless' means. In the first and last cases, these people need to learn, but will probably learn the hard way. The second catagory is just plain rare because people who understand all the possibilities and still take a risk are either brave or foolish. Either way, there aren't many of these.

2. The people that have limits longer than I am tall. These people name every last contingency, that exact opposite of the 'limitless'. If these people ask for a dare, people have to come up with one around every last limit. Despite this, some are more pliant on a few of their limits.

3. The moderate limit person has the basic limits (health, illegal, etc.) and a couple special to them. Many more dares work for them, but they are still safe from the 'taboo' dares. They usually won't push their limits however.

So none of these catagories are perfect, so the question is beged, "How are these limits, or lack of, challenged?" Some people get their boundries tried in a Master/slave relationship, others take dares that try to break the person. Still others work up, so they are never broken, but tested. However the method, people are trying to change their limitations.

So why make limits in the first place when deep down, possibly deep down in the unconscious, they want their limits broken? Is it the thrill of being pushed past one's comfort zone? Or the reverant fear of discovery of one's true self? Whatever it is, it drives people to try new things. But don't push away limits too fast, because without them, for without them a single mistake dare that is too challenge would lead to a huge mess. And all you can say is "Oops. Uh-oh."
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1868 Comments 5
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Limits are there to help someone who is not willing to go farther than things. But limits are also something you need time to understand.

I have mine. No poop/scat/pee/puke. No animals. Nothing illegal. These are ABSOLUTE limits. But there's also no anal. Still, I'm intrigued, so one day I might push that one - but not until I'm comfortable with the idea. To me, anal sounds a lot like poop. These are RELATIVE limits.

This is pure judgement on my part, but if people have 'NO LIMITS' then they have no conscience. If you have no limits at all, I could say: "Kidnap your neighbour and fuck them repeatedly in the ass with a knife and fork." And they'll do it. But that's wrong. That's why limits are important. Decency and respect of others and the self should be the guide here. Freedom is a great thing, but it does have limitations, and those apply to one's limits. My limits should never infringe on another's.
  2. Old Comment
    I agree with you Interesting on why we need limits. I have my own limits, and some can not be pushed while others might give a little. However, I wrote this blog as just a way to show that we need limits. What I was trying to say in the last couple of sentences, you really said it better in your last paragraph than I did.
    Updated 09-11-2009 at 06:25 AM by Odiefrom (Typo)
  3. Old Comment
    Aha! We have an ethics conversation on our hands! I like the viewpoints and am mostly in agreement. If I were to list and follow to the letter all my limits, where would the fun be? If I was willing to do everything where would the fun be. I see the thrill sitting in a little place that just crosses out of my comfort and just before my "Absolute" limits. I want to see where that is...
  4. Old Comment
    The play is not in applying the rules strictly, but in how we handle them, methinks, when they are bent or broken.

Ethics should always be important in any activity an individual takes part in, simply because without a form of morality (self-imposed, mostly), we can fall prey to the subjugation of the other's free will, and even our own (boy this sentence sounds preachy!) Bottom line is respect of everyone and everything, always has, always will be, according to me.

Odiefrom: Your post just made me think, and I just jotted a few things down. I'm glad they make some sense.
  5. Old Comment
    "possibly deep down in the unconscious, they want their limits broken?"

That way people can get dared to break a limit, and possiblt have a fall-back that others caused them to break the limit. (blame others for their action.)