Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > MBP's Place of Random Things That Pop into My Brain

My actual thoughts. I could care less if you disagree. I welcome feedback; except from the stupid. Go away.
May contain things you don't want to hear or don't care about. Once again, I could care less. The opinions are mine and do not reflect anything, except that I might be an ass to some people.
Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Mosque near Ground Zero sight

Posted 08-11-2010 at 06:13 PM by Manbearpig

One of the big news stories has been that a mosque is being built in New York City near the sight of where the September 11th attacks occurred. Some people have been outraged by the fact of this, mainly because of the fact that it was Islamic extremists who committed the attacks. Now maybe I am just being naive or not knowing enough of the situation, but why does it matter if they want to put a mosque there? Isn't that their right? These people are not praying for the death of the west, so shouldn't they be able to practice their religion. If anything, from reading, this place is just a center, no different than a Christian center or a Jewish center. But maybe I don't know the full story.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3034 Comments 18
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 18

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I don't know a whole lot about it either, but I really don't see the big deal with it either.
  2. Old Comment
    Well, i remember 9/11, i was able to see the smoke over the horizon from where i live, and honestly it seems nothing more than a trophy for them. Its fucking disgusting in my opinion, and will only further promote terrorist acts because it will send a message that 'they won'

I dont think it will be finished imo, someone will destroy it.

Fuck im considering bombing the fucking place myself.

Sorry it just pisses me off.
  3. Old Comment
    @Ninjota That is perfectly fine. Seeing as I am not from NYC nor have I been there, I wasn't sure about how you guys felt about it. Usually I would feel strongly about this, but after doing some further reading since posting this, I really don't know if I like it 100%. Until they reveal where the money is coming from along with clearing a few things up, I can't be certain if this is what I am a fan of. I still have to do more research.
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    im considering bombing the fucking place myself.
    That's such a terrible thing to say, just because it's a Mosque does not mean that the people who'll go there are all terrorists.
    Fair enough everyone has a right to be offended but I'm sick of people judging people by things they didn't do, the fact so many Muslims are hated because ignorant people assume they are all terrorists. I know because it's happened to people I know and that's disgusting.
    But I personally think it's not necessary for them to build a mosque there, I'm almost certain there are other places it could have been built. This is just going to cause more problems.
  5. Old Comment
    Oh i know not all muslims are bad, but there is NO reason for them to build it at ground zero besides a 'trophy'.

Theres no reason they cant build it a block or so away out of respect.
  6. Old Comment
    In my opinion its almost like a yes u can build a mosque there but as a country please dont to save everyone from future problems
  7. Old Comment
    From what I understand, it is two blocks away.
  8. Old Comment
    By saying its a tropy you imply that there are evil intentions behind it. If it's just a couminity center then it is for Islamic families to come together and practice their religion. That doesn't sound evil to me...
  9. Old Comment
    I've no hate against Islam, but even I have to say that this is really insensitive xD The mosque is a holy place, if in other cases it would be a great thing to build besides a disaster area. But gee, muslims are not all bad, but these attacks were caused by actual muslims extremists. It IS super insensitive.
  10. Old Comment
    As jews were the national scapegoat in hitlers day, Muslims are our scapegoat today, only on a near gobal level.
  11. Old Comment
    That's incredibly ignorant of you Ninjota. Islam the religion did not bring down the Twin Towers, people with an agenda using Islam as a cloak did. Your reply implies that Muslims see 9//11 as a great event and building a mosque near it is some sort of celebration, do you have any idea how silly that sounds?

As MBP says - the mosque isn't on Grand Zero, it's a couple of streets away. Campaigners have jumped on this and named it the "Ground Zero" mosque to lead ignorant people into believing its there as a sort of "FU!".

I read an article on this the other day and the founder of the mosque is actually a moderate and lectures around the USA on the dangers of people being radicalised. As I understand, the building they want to build the mosque on is already used as one....
  12. Old Comment
    Dont get me wrong, i dont hate all muslims, ive got friends and such who are muslim, but i hope why you would see why i'de be just a LITTLE distrustful towards them. Not to mention from what i hear, its easy to get radicalized into the religion as their holy book hasnt been translated into english and therefore people have to believe the interpretations of the preacher.

Not only that but, theyre using my tax money to build the goddamn thing. Im not using Islam as a scapegoat or anything, i dont hate every single person who follows the religion. I do however hate the extremist, and the way i see it this is only going to draw the extremists into a false sense of victory for 9/11 seeing as how "Oh we bombed it, and now theres a Mosque there"

Since Islam extremists believe this to be their "Holy War/Harmaggeddon"

So, forgive me if i offended anyone but please try to see where i would be left a LITTLE BIT with a bitter taste in my mouth after hearing about that.
  13. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninjota View Comment
    Dont get me wrong, i dont hate all muslims, ive got friends and such who are muslim, but i hope why you would see why i'de be just a LITTLE distrustful towards them. Not to mention from what i hear, its easy to get radicalized into the religion as their holy book hasnt been translated into english and therefore people have to believe the interpretations of the preacher.

When wikipedia is more reliable- you are wrong indeed. "an English version by Alexander Ross in 1649"

Quote:
    Not only that but, theyre using my tax money to build the goddamn thing.
    "Imam Abdul Rauf . . . told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Islamic center will be financed through contributions from Muslims in the US, as well as by donations from Arab and Islamic countries," the newspaper reported." http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/f...mWz6yPAJU61cTO

Where in that statement does it say public funds will be used? And even if they were- how is it different from muslim tax dollars being used to provide funds for christian churches?

Quote:
    Im not using Islam as a scapegoat or anything, i dont hate every single person who follows the religion. I do however hate the extremist, and the way i see it this is only going to draw the extremists into a false sense of victory for 9/11 seeing as how "Oh we bombed it, and now theres a Mosque there"
    I would have thought the blowing up of the twin towers would be the 'victory' for the extremists- I can't imagine Osama really cares much about the fact there happens to be a mosque being built a couple of blocks away. In fact- I would have thought the idea of multiculturalism and different faiths worshipping in the same city would have made him even more unhappy.
  14. Old Comment
    As far as I know, that's the whole "separation of church and state thing", tax dollars are not used to build any kind of religious centers...

And, I've read the Koran in English. o_O
  15. Old Comment
  16. Old Comment
    Well, on local news here it mentioned them using tax money to build it.

And i dont claim to know much about the religion, just getting information from first hand accounts of people ive met who have tried to convert to it.

Either way, i dislike the religion, nothing against the people who follow it unless they are extremist and such. Obviously i wouldn't ACTUALLY bomb it because its against MY religion (Taoism/Buddhism) I dont kill or harm the harmless for it is not in harmony with the tao, but i do reserve the right to dislike whoever/whatever i want.
  17. Old Comment
    To wit:

if one accepts that a mosque should not be built a few blocks from Ground Zero then in order to be intellectually honest and consistent one would need to hold that no Christian churches of any denomination should be allowed in the city of Belfast--they would be "trophies" for the numerous violent terroristic acts which took place there.

That is, of course, a ridiculous idea--as is the idea that a nonviolent Muslim group should be forbidden from buying land and building whatever they like on it.
    Posted 08-14-2010 at 12:28 PM by Mephistopheles Mephistopheles is offline
  18. Old Comment
    Slight bump here- but feel it is justified: Q & A about the mosque

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/9222810