Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > What Strikes My Mind

An assortment of my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and poor attempts at humor, all rolled into one easily digestable package.
Rate this Entry

Turning Heads and Standing Proud

Posted 10-04-2009 at 08:12 PM by Odiefrom

I recieved in the mail a letter saying I had been accepted into a prestigous group, that inductions would be on a certain day, I need to bring this and that. And so all my friends are congratulating me, telling me that I've done a great job, yada yada. I thanked them, then tore up the letter. They looked at me like I was an idiot (one of the slapped me even), and yelled at me for doing that.

You see, the premise of this organization is character, school studies, and community role. I was accepted because I volunteer a lot in my area. In order to stay a member you must get an amount of volunteer hours, and proof you volunteered. The reason for joining: free breakfasts during finals, and scholarships and honors while continuing college.

Sounds dandy (yeah, I said dandy :P). But I refuse to volunteer to get a reward. Yeah, if I'm giiven one at the end, I'll take it. But I'm not going into it focused on the incentive. So I tore up the letter. Ok, I admit it's a little overdramatic, but it means a lot to me.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3746 Comments 4
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Good for you! I used to run a charity fundraising society, and the number of people who did it to put on their CVs, or to look good, depressed me. Volunteering is it's own reward.
  2. Old Comment
    Yes it is rewarding, but not many people see that anymore, unfortunately.
  3. Old Comment
    If you are going to be volunteering anyway...
  4. Old Comment
    That IS pretty honourable. Good for you to stick by your principals.

Good luck in your endevours.