Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Ftl88

This blog will be a collection of information used for my own purposes, and freely available for usage by anyone else. Comment as you'd like, although commenting will be restricted or moderated in some situations.
Rate this Entry

Roleplay: A (Not So Short) Primer

Posted 06-04-2014 at 06:44 PM by forrest.livingston8

Today class, we are going to talk about "roleplay". As you can see behind me, I have written out some definitions. Please take the time to review them. They will not be on the final, but it would be wise to make sure you understand them if you wish to have any chance on the final.

Quote:
Role: an actor's part in a play, movie, etc. | the function assumed or part played by a person or thing in a particular situation.

Play: engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose. | take part in (a sport).

Roleplay: the acting out or performance of a particular role, either consciously (as a technique in psychotherapy or training) or unconsciously, in accordance with the perceived expectations of society with regard to a person's behavior in a particular context. | participation in a role-playing game.
Done? Good. Now I'll just wipe them away for now. If you need them again, ask someone who wrote them down.

In the context of the modern usage of "roleplay" on the internet, we are normally referencing the act of participating in a roleplaying game. In most cases, the game is an association of one or more people, normally at least two but no more than five.

Commonly, this is known as "RP", with the action being "RPing". A person that is "RPing" is an "RPer". These are the formal terms, as you'll find people use many other terms for each of these conditions.

And yes, I can see all of your lewd grins. Often times roleplaying is sexual in nature. But it need not be! Now now, no need to be cross, as I did not say it should not be. But a sexual roleplay does not to revolve around the sexuality of the situation! You can include sex in a roleplay without it being a purely sexual roleplay.

To review...

Quote:
  • RP: Roleplay
  • RPing: Roleplaying
  • RPer: Roleplayer
  • Roleplaying is when at least one person acts out a part in a story or situation.
  • Roleplaying normally is done with two to five people.
  • Roleplaying may be sexual in nature, but it may also not be sexual.
  • Sex in a roleplay does not mean it is a sex roleplay unless it is only about the sex.
Good? Alright, if you didn't copy that down, and don't remember, ask someone who did.

RPing usually involves a handful of people who are interested in experiencing something together. This may range from two lovebirds wanting to fertilize an egg to four adventures being lead through as dungeon by a narrator, or "Dungeon Master", also known as a "Game Master", or "DM"/"GM" for short.

The actual theme of an RP can be anything from a modern age modern day walk down a quiet street to fighting off space dragons whilst also finding the Orion slave girls for some "rescuing". It need not make sense so long as the RPers are enjoying it. It need not be legal, or even sane, as it is a fantasy, not a plan or a memory.

To review...

Quote:
  • Roleplaying is about experiencing something together, even when done alone.
  • Roleplaying can be about anything and everything.
  • When someone controls the roleplay, they're called the "DM", or "Dungeon Master".
  • Never argue with the DM unless you know that they're willing to debate with you.
  • Roleplaying is fantasy, and so it can be anything, even unreasonable and illegal things so long as it does not actually break the law.
All of you got that? Good, good.

Now, let's get into the practical aspects before any more of you fall asleep.

When you roleplay, you will need to remember that you are playing a role. You aren't yourself, unless that is the role you are playing. Your role needs to be your reaction and thought for the roleplay, not your own reactions and thoughts.

You will perform these actions by using a standardized format, which normally is the usage of an asterisk ( " * " ) to start and end a situation where you are using an action. As an example: *Dances a silly dance* would mean that your character danced a silly dance.

Likewise, your character will need to speak at times. The format for this depends between roleplaying groups. Sometimes there is no symbol for this so long as you have a symbol for actions. Other times, the symbol would be a double quote ( ' " ' ) at the start and the end of the quoted material.. As an example: "Hey everyone, I'm doing a silly dance!" would mean that your character told everyone that they were doing a silly dance.

That does not mean that you cannot think for yourself, though! In fact, when you do that, it is called being "Out Of Character", or OOC. Most commonly, this is done using parentheses ( " () " ), and often are done on entirely different lines just to keep from resulting in confusion. Your OOC communication should NOT be used for in character communication. Anything you learn OOC should not be applied to your character. Remember that your character cannot read the OOC change. As an example: (Ok, so my character is being an idiot as he's drunk right now) would mean that you are speaking to everyone else detailing why your character is dancing in a silly way.

The combination of the above three elements should make up the entirety of a roleplaying session's textual appearance.

In review...

Quote:
  • Roleplaying is about staying in character.
  • Don't be yourself instead of your character (unless your character is yourself)

The three ways to type when roleplaying:
  1. Actions with are surrounded by *asterisks* most commonly.
  2. Dialog is often not surrounded by anything, or sometimes it is surrounded by "double quotes".
  3. Out of character talk is surrounded by (parenthesis) most commonly.
Now let's put this all together in a quick demonstration! We'll also demonstrate the usage of ordered turns, as well as a few other aspects of roleplaying:

Quote:
Clark: Hi, want to RP anyone?
Daisy: Yeah, so long as it doesn't involve me being raped.
Alvin: Sure! What do you want to do?
Bree: Don't worry Daisy, it is Alvin's turn to get raped!
Alvin:
Clark: Alright, I'll DM. Pick your characters! The setting will be that you're all ducks trying to migrate South for the winter. Oh, and no talking except in quacks.
Alvin: What the fuck?!
Bree: Hahah!
Daisy: Oh shit, really?
Bree: Oh man, this was great last time.
Alvin: Ok, I'm a young male duck, I guess?
Daisy: I'm an older female duck looking to make sure I get so this time.
Bree: I'm a young male duck who has the hots over Alvin, but I haven't told him I fly South that way.
Alvin: Shit!
Clark: Right, here we go with the setting...
Clark: (Turn order is Daisy, Alvin, Bree, Clark)
Clark: *The sun rises over the pond, burning off the morning mist. The last few ducks remaining at the pond wake up*
Clark: (Done with the setting, enjoy!)
Daisy: *Quacking loudly, my wings spread as I take flight, warming up my body.*
Daisy: (Done, you're up Alvin)
Alvin: (Thanks Daisy)
Alvin: Quack quack quack! *He flies after Daisy*
Alvin: (Done, all yours Bree)
Bree: (Thanks babe.)
Bree: *The sunrise highlights his glorious coloring as he takes flight, spearing Alvin on the end of his raging twisted member.*
Bree: (Heheh, Clark all yours!)
Alvin: (Ah fuck you Bree!)
Bree: (You wish. )
Clark: *As the three ducks break for the sky, the sound of a shotgun is heard. All three ducks are hit. They die near instantly from the shock of impact.*
Clark: (That's what you guys get for not taking this seriously!)
Bree: (Hahah!)
Alvin: (Oh man, dead again. )
Daisy: (Aw, but I didn't get laid!)
Clark: (Ok, let's start a new RP)

The above example was a very short way to seeing how all of these elements interact. This was only designed as a primer to roleplaying. It will give you some basic guidelines to use when you want to try and play around in a roleplaying situation. Every situation will be different, so keep an open mind when it comes to the actions of others.

And most of all, enjoy yourselves!

The roleplaying room in the chat area (http://www.getdare.com/bbs/tordchat.php , or a direct link: http://www.getdare.com/bbs/tordchat/blab.php?room=4) is a good place to try and meet like minded people. The population is often rather low, so you may need to wait until people are around and wanting to roleplay.
Posted in Informative
Views 3223 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments