Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > What Strikes My Mind

An assortment of my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and poor attempts at humor, all rolled into one easily digestable package.
Rate this Entry

I am on a rock.

Posted 09-20-2009 at 09:05 PM by Odiefrom

"I am on a rock. This rock is big. This rock can fly. This rock flies through space so fast, but I don't know why I don't fall off. This rock spins so fast, but I don't know why I don't get flung off. I was born on this rock and will die on this rock. I don't understand it, but I like this rock."
I read this paragraph in a newsletter today. It says the message of it is this: "Life is simple. Enjoy it." Well, I missed that but instead got something else out of it. In case you didn't pick up on it, 'this rock' is Earth. And the whole thing is about staying on Earth. So why do we emmigrate from birth planet to foreign places in space? We aren't being expelled. Disease and population are still under control. So why go? Because we can.
We can calculate with high accuracy the trajectory the rocket will take as it burns a predetermined amount of a fuel, which we have analyzed to a atomic level, as the rocket leaves our atmosphere. We can anticipate with very little error the position of the celestial bodies at any given time, and the disturbance in the gravitational fields around them based off their location. We can determine the amount of fuel, food, water, and oxygen needed to get to any destination. We can prepare for an orbit of any duration, descents to the surface, and returns to Earth. My point? We are more than ready for space.
So what's the hold up? Let's get out there! The problem is, somerhing is stopping us. This could be caused by God, perhaps He wants us to stay put where He put us; or maybe little aliens, if they keep us out, they are safe longer; or maybe it's us. What if we, in the effort to hide some truth, purposefully fail space missions? Did we even get to the moon? Is space travel simply unattainable? Here is where the questions roll out. Is there an answer? Probably, but we won't find out.
My idea is that we can do space travel, and have been able to for a long while. Am I wrong? Probably, but I like it.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1080 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments