Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Foxy Rose

Rate this Entry

Help out a lady in need!

Posted 02-21-2016 at 12:58 PM by Foxy Rose

So, me and my folks are planning to come to Europe in just a little shy of 28 days! Destination Amsterdam, The Netherlands. My first trip overseas and off the African continent.

I want to have some of my many European friends' input on places to see, avoid and the like. Unfortunately my visa (Schengen visa) does not include going to the UK.

Money is not an issue, nor is places to stay/overnight thanks to my very generous brother.

And if I get close enough to some places to actually get to see some of you, I might buy you a cup of coffee, a beer or whatever.

One trip is almost certainly booked, Easter weekend, as we will be on a train trip in Switzerland, which co-insides with my birthday.

The duration of the trip for myself is 28 days and my folks are 65 days.

What I am looking for here, is to get to the heart of the country, the places that is worthwhile which most tourist blogs/books/websites/operators fail to mention.

Countries that I can travel to without restrictions include:
  1. Austria
  2. Belgium
  3. Czech Republic
  4. Denmark
  5. Estonia
  6. Finland
  7. France
  8. Germany
  9. Greece
  10. Hungary
  11. Iceland
  12. Italy
  13. Latvia
  14. Lithuania
  15. Luxembourg
  16. Malta
  17. The Netherlands
  18. Norway
  19. Poland
  20. Portugal
  21. Slovakia
  22. Slovenia
  23. Spain
  24. Sweden
  25. Switzerland
  26. Liechtenstein

Though we are restricted with time, any information will be helpful

Thank you in kind for your help
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2603 Comments 5
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I don't have any advice (sorry), just wanted to say that I hope you have a fabulous time! It sounds like a trip of a lifetime...can you smuggle me in your suitcase? Haha!

Safe travels!
  2. Old Comment
    If I have room left after all the presents, you are welcome. I hardly have place for clothes ����
  3. Old Comment
    Ooh! You're going to Amsterdam! So happy that you'll get to see my country!

My first recommendation is Amsterdam itself. Great for tourists, lots of options for shopping! If you like weed, there are lots of 'coffeeshops' to buy from! There are also some great museums, like the Rijksmuseum and the Anna Frank house, if you're looking for something more cultural.
    I also want to recommend Alkmaar, a town about half an hour by train from Amsterdam. There's a cheese market every Friday, starting on March 25th. So maybe you'd be able to catch that! It's a big spectacle.
    The spring is also a great time to see the fields of flowers in the Netherlands. You should check out Keukenhof, a flower park. Opens up on March 24th!
    There are a couple of fun theme parks too. Madurodam is a park full of miniature buildings. De Efteling is a fairy tale theme park that's very popular.

Hope that's of some use! I'll also tell you that visiting all those countries in one trip is not a good idea!
    Updated 02-21-2016 at 04:50 PM by drwarschauu
  4. Old Comment
    In the Netherlands you can't leave before seeing the inside of a coffeeshop, the red light district, maybe the "Rijks museum" if you like paintings and me.

Italy is beautiful too, especially rome, even though everything is commenly described by tourist media, it's worth to see Rome, and also the vatican museum.

Barcelona in Spain is great too, it's a great place to shop, always sunny and from what I hear loads of sailors walking around

Check out any country of eastern Europe if you want to get drunk for cheap. Ask for Palenka, it's homebrew and strong!

Skip Belgium

The island Kreta of Greece is nice too, ruins, mountains (dad almost drove us off a cliff) and great food.

Personally, I would try to focus on the countries that touch the seas and oceans. In my opinion they are more fun, better weather, more culture and great food.
  5. Old Comment
    From Amsterdam, you can take a train to Duesseldorf. You can visit Koenigsallee (probably the most beautiful boulevard in all of Europe - beats Champs Elysees any day); Benrath castle and Burgplatz.
    Then take a train from there to Stuttgart (ard 2 hrs). Visit Koenigstrasse (longest shopping boulevard in Europe) and you can see both the new and old castles. The old castle is a museum, and there is always an exhibition going on. Visit the Stauffenberg memorial (at the place where he was executed by the Nazis). Stuttgart is the birthplace of the German auto industry, so visit Mercedes and Porsche museums. Then, take a day to visit Tuebingen old town and the Lichtenstein castle (if you are here over a weekend, I can take you there).
    You can then travel on to Munich (again 2 hrs by train from Stuttgart) and see the "new" town hall (Neues Rathaus), and eat at the Hofbrauhaus nearby. Visit the Marienplatz and the Viktualienmarkt. Then do a day trip to Fuessen to see the beautiful Neuschwannstein castle (the castle that Disney copied in most of its movies) and the Swan Lake that inspired Tchaikovsky.