Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Lokelake's I don't know

Rate this Entry

Another Weather 101!

Posted 02-06-2010 at 08:58 PM by lokelake

Time to explain troughs and ridges. These are especially noticeable in the winter months.

This will give you a basic understanding as to why you can be so warm or cold in winter.

Keep in mind, I can only show/ explain this using my non-expertise. That bring said, what I will show/explain here, will still be right.

Basically, if you are north of a ridge, then you are in a trough, so you will experience cold weather. If you are south of the trough, then you are in a ridge, so therefore, you will experience warm weather.

Generally, if there is a trough in the eastern part of the country, the western part of the country will be in a ridge.

If there is a part of the country that is not in a trough, then they will be in a ridge. Vice-versa with ridge.

On the map below: North of the black line, you are in a trough. That allows cold air to come down from Canada, and prevents warm air from getting in.

If you are south of the black line, you are in a ridge. Which does not allow cold air to get passed rather, it allows warm air to come up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ridge.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	57
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 679 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments