Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > MBP's Place of Random Things That Pop into My Brain

My actual thoughts. I could care less if you disagree. I welcome feedback; except from the stupid. Go away.
May contain things you don't want to hear or don't care about. Once again, I could care less. The opinions are mine and do not reflect anything, except that I might be an ass to some people.
Rate this Entry

What is 2010 NBA Free Agency and why I'm excited

Posted 06-29-2010 at 01:24 PM by Manbearpig
Updated 06-29-2010 at 01:28 PM by Manbearpig

Okay, I mentioned earlier today that I will start talking about 2010 NBA Free Agency today. But for those who aren't familiar with it most likely have no idea what I am talking about. For those of you in Europe, it is pretty much like transfer season, with most of them being free transfer. Teams will competing for the top free agents in the league. Free agents are players who contracts are expiring. But how did we get here

HOW WE GOT HERE

Well, quite frankly like most things, it is about money. After next season the Collective Bargaining Agreement (the agreement between the NBA Players Union and the League Officials) expires. Word is that the Maximum contract, or the most a team can offer a player, will be going now. Most players were aware of this. That is why a lot of players either have their contracts expiring or they can opt out in some way. Now some players (Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash) have already resigned for more money and some free agents have opted out with full intention of resigning. But others have opted out to test the waters because they want to win.

WHEN DOES THIS START?

Teams can start talking to players that are not their own on July 1st at 12:01 EDT. Teams cannot officially sign them until July 8th, one day after the salary cap, the most a team can spend or the least they can spend, for next season. However, most of the time, you will hear about a signing well before July 8th. However right now, nothing you hear should be taken for truth.

KEY TERMS

Max Contract- Like I mentioned earlier, it is the most you can offer a player. For majority of the players, that would be roughly $17000000.

Salary Cap-Once again, as mentioned earlier, the most a team can spend on all their players

Cap Room- How much room a team has to spend on free agents

Exemption- Exactly what it means, certain rules that allow you to go over the salary cap on a certain player. Rules are so confusing, I will let you do the research on that yourself or if you have questions, PM me or ask me below.

WHY I AM EXCITED

The main reason is because the whole landscape of the NBA could change. I might be very happy about it due to me being a fan of one of the favorite to possibly strike big during this time. But it will be exciting nonetheless.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them. I know I am pretty much catering to about 5 people if any at all...but I could care less. It is interesting to me. And if it is interesting to me, then it is reason enough to post it in my opinion

TO COME

Coming up later today I will talk about the players involved and tomorrow I will preview the top teams involved and later rank what is going to happen. I might also start a post with some rumors I see on twitter to just update as they come in. Haven't decided that yet however.
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments