Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > EnigmaticBunni

Rate this Entry

sub/bottom/slave vs dom/top/master vs "switch"

Posted 02-28-2017 at 10:03 AM by EnigmaticBunni

I self identify as a SWITCH, but recently I have really noticed how many different types of switches there actually are. There doesn't seem to be any set archetype for switches, but there are some for the "normal" roles.

First I want to identify 6 main archetypes that occur in the 3 "normal" types of dynamics. Of course, no one I have met fit any one of these identically.

Master/Slave: In this dynamic, the Master is in control of everything. This isn't always sexual, but is usually close to complete control. This is probably the one most people think of when you say BDSM, but are probably the rarest form in my experience. This one requires the most formal commitment and usually includes some form of contract or formal agreement. These people can be switches, but because of the formal framework, it requires the most coordination.

Dom/Sub: This is probably the most common form of power exchange. There is a definite person in control, and a definite person being controlled. And again this may or may not include sex. As a switch, these people tend to want to be in control and give up control to either the same person, or different people.

Top/Bottom: This is probably the most common type of BDSM in general, but has the least actual power exchange. For this, one person (the top) DOES something to the other (the bottom). This might be spanking, anal, humiliation, ... almost any activity that is considered kinky. In my experience this is where you find the most switches and where the line between roles becomes most confused.

If a Master has a slave, but occasionally the Master likes to be flogged by the slave, who is in charge? Obviously the Master is in control. but the slave is TOPPING the master by flogging them.

So when I say "Switch", what am I actually saying? This is where the confusion over what a switch is comes in.

In my case I tend to be a sadist TOP to my wife's masochistic bottom. But as in every dynamic, there is even more to this Top/bottom than this simplistic description. But as a sub, I tend to be an actual sub most of the time and not just a Bottom, but my wife tends to be just a top, but has learned some ways to be dominant with me and not just top me.

So what does a person mean by "SWITCH"? I guess the answer to that is: You won't know till you talk to them.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 321 Comments 1
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I consider myself a switch as well, although I think I am truly more submissive than dominant. I have a sub who I Domme. At the same time, I am submissive to a trio of dom/mes. I have also switches roles and topped my Dom, but I have a harder time doing that. I feel like I need to keep the roles seperate as it is too hard for me to "switch" back and forth within one dynamic.