Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Jon's World.

It's like a normal world, only weirder. Now with 100% more poetry!
Rate this Entry

Writing Task #5 - Playing with Words: Fun With Language and BDSM.

Posted 01-14-2015 at 01:15 PM by An_Jon
Updated 01-14-2015 at 03:19 PM by An_Jon

Part 5 of my writing task series. This time SweetTeen asked me to write an essay on puns. If anyone else has any ideas for tasks, please do get in touch here. The essay is supposed to be 500 words long, so not a huge read. Please, do enjoy.

Playing With Words: Fun with Language and BDSM.

Words are meant to be played on. They’re like the climbing frames of any language. If you never get off the ground you’ll never find out just how fun they can be. In addition to this, if you only stick to one piece of apparatus then you’ll never be able to explore the countless possibilities of using words. Forgive me for not really using a pun in this intro, instead opting for simile and metaphor; I had a point I needed to get across.

I use puns a lot. They really demonstrate how language can be tied town, teased and controlled by us speakers in ways which can inspire joy, sadness, and most importantly here, groans of self –loathing and disbelief (or laughter). One time, in an essay, I got a kick out of putting a pun in a footnote. My tutor, upon reading it, became a tut-er. I’ve always found it odd how they used to call it my writing ‘voice’ when I’m not actually saying anything. In fairness, I type in much the same way as I talk; I use the same brain filter for choosing my words both written and spoken. Maybe that’s why I’ve always been drawn to the arts, why I take note of good writing.

So how can this be skill be transferred into another love of mine: BDSM? Easy – the words are important. When it comes to being a dom I love to hold a good command of my language. When I’m a sub I tend to use less assertive, more forgiving words. Being able to play about with the common words; such as being ‘tongue tied’ when talking about bondage, lighting a few ‘angry’ mood candles for wax play, or giving a spanking so good that it was just belting, can be a great way to break the ice in what is quite an awkward scene. A nice flirtatious first meeting, or playful banter between mates. Going deeper than that, you can dream up some nice predicament stuff, such as saying that your safe word is gif. Hand them this instruction written, and then tell them that the wrong pronunciation means ‘no stopping’ rather than stop. Language, in this sense, opens up the chance to not only have fun; but also the chance to learn about your partner more deeply that you originally thought.

Language is something we all use all the time in everything we do, even alone. Even our bodies display language to the point when we can make jokes that stem from saying something which is the opposite to the way we look: a sort of shaking your head while saying ‘yes’ approach. In BDSM rules are almost everything, especially slave/master play. Language follows many of the same patters: we know what we expect from language, we know what the ‘norm’ is. Laughter is the body’s natural response to when something ends in an unexpected way, which is what jokes and puns do. In this sense, brats can be seen as the puns of the BDSM world. That’s probably why so many people laugh at or with them. Obviously, though, if you play with the rules of BDSM in this way you need to be ready to take your PUNishment.

YEEEEAAAAAAHHHH.

Footnote: I thought I had the perfect dog to rob a jewellery shop, but it left all the gems and silver alone. Turns out it's only a golden retriever.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 960 Comments 1
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    This made me smile, it's a very fun blog, and you do have a way with your words!