Go Back   getDare Truth or Dare > Blogs > Komodo Jones

Rate this Entry

The Neverending Story

Posted 03-05-2013 at 10:53 AM by Komodo Jones

No this blog isn't going to be about finding a book in a school attic or some big white bearded dragon, which the school attic may not be accurate. Give me a break it's been a long time since I've seen the movie and read the book. This is about something that I see happening on getdare a little bit too often, and while many of you could point fingers at me doing the exact same thing I am planning to defend myself.

First off let me say, I don't particuraly enjoy reading. Being an amateur author, that seems kind of strange seeing that it has been proven that reading a lot tends to improve your writing skills. But I especially hate reading for school as it's reading stuff I don't care about, but I do enjoy reading erotica, as well as writing it. There used to be a lot of good stories on this site too. John's Slavery, The Experiment, to name a few. And there are still some good stories out there, mainly the workings of my good friend shynessincarnate and I want to give props to uzaho with his Going Unnoticed at School, and the Sister's Sleepover series by ShinyDemon, the Strip Poker series by Rachie are also very good. Leopard's The Fox and the Hedgehog. All good stories that I enjoy reading when I get the chance. So what am I exactly talking about with this blog entry?

It seems like every week there is some new story released that follows the same old song and dance. Someone becomes someone's sex slave through some unexplicable sense of blackmail putting absolutely no details, no reason as to why they're doing this, no fleshing out the charcters nothing. Yet these stories get so many hits, and people saying they're so good. I'm sorry to be critical here but apparently it seems that people have no appreciation for literary works that would actually be published into a book that is above a junior high reading level. Not that kids in high school would normally be reading erotica, but yet here we are getdare, and before you say anything there are 18 year olds as seniors in high school. I was not one of them but I am above the age.

Now the main problem with this format is that it happens in the first chapter and people are rushing it TOO FAST. True in my main story there was great sexual detail in the second chapter but if you look at the length of my chapters it's understandable. My story does follow the same format but I inject details, I flesh out the characters. I haven't read in the past for a while but I don't think I gave a reason as to why the Mistress wanted the main character as a slave. I won't deny this.

Unlike some other stories though there are four sentences per chapter doing the format and the story just falls flat for me. I'm sorry, but I like stories to be somewhat believable. I like to have a few to several paragraphs that are not just one line quotations in the stories. I like to enjoy reading stories and when credit is due I give them credit. But there are just some stories I stay away from. A few sentences is a chapter, I stay away from, in the first sentence i is not capitalized and words are not capitalized and grammar is just atrocious I stay away from. Usually, through some unusual circumstances it's the same old thing over and over and OVER again in the first chapter I stay away from.

Now am I saying that there is anything wrong with this whole format of sex slavedom plot? Absolutely not, John's Slavery and the first story of shynessincarnate's are like this and I absolutely adore those stories, but what they did is that they did something different. Now while John's Slavery wasn't exactly like that, that was the first story I read so I have a litle bias towards that but shynessincarnate gave us the first of,now arising, choose your own adventure stories and I really enjoyed seeing what would happen. How she was able to adapt so quickly to those votes and pump out a story every week is beyond my comprehension.

Now while some of you may be saying but KJ, you haven't done anything different with your story "Targeting the Ignored"...want to bet? Check out the latest installment, which right now is Chapter 7.5, after reading the whole story of course. Does that sound like something you've seen in a story before? I don't think it is but then again I may be wrong. I haven't read every story on this site mainly because I don't want to because of some of the quality is just horrendous and because I don't have the time.

Now I know I may be the minority on this site in this aspect as a lot of stories get good ratings because they're used solely as masturbatory aids instead of something you could actually put in a codex format that does not have cardboard covers and pages. And some of you who fall into the category I have described may hate me for this. Fine, go ahead, hate me for it, I'm used to it as I went through it all during high school.

I'm going to end it here with some advice to aspiring people who want to write stories out there and I give these to a lot of people.
1) Don't rush the story. Don't be afraid to take things slow and build up your story. Details really help the readers paint a picture and I really appreciate people who do that. Don't be afraid of details, details are our friends.

2) Flesh out your chracters. I'm sorry but stories that start with a basic description of an underlined name and their stats just really annoy me. Yes details of what people look like are important but incorporate it into the story. Also don't say they have this kind of attitude, try and express that through their emotions. Instead of saying something like "Bob is an angry man." Say something like, "Bob slammed the door shut as he stomped through the house." Make the chracters believable and relatable in some sense.

3) Proofread your stories. Now I'm not going to lie, I am pretty sure that there are some grammatical and spelling errors in my story somewhere, but I try to minimize them. And when you're proofreading don't just use spell check, as it is kind of unreliable. If you mean to use the word note and you type in not, spell check won't recognize that as they are both words and they could both be proper syntax. Leopard has started an editor section in the Author's Cafe section I think. I don't know somewhere it's a heading thread in the story section somewhere where editors, such as myself, are more than happy to proofread your stories and help them be the best they can be. I mean I am editing a story on there and true it's not really my style but I really enjoy editing it and sometimes enjoy reading it because of the twists the author adds.

4) This is something I personally don't do often but I probably should and my stories would probably be better for it. Don't be afraid to ask other authors for ideas or opinions on your story and how it could improve or what to keep. I am a very prideful person but even sometimes I ask people for advice. I'm going to bring up shynessincarnate again. She may not realize it but she has been a huge help in my story. Also my domme who has authored a few individual projects offsite has also helped me greatly with my story. Because of this, I actually enjoy writing my story more now. So it doesn't hurt to ask us for advice. Like I said I may seem critical in this entry but I as well as, I would bet, a lot of authors on this site would be more than happy to shoot the breeze with you about stories.

Now am I going to stop the same song and dance stories that I just spoke up against? Probably not. I often times think a lot of people on this site don't even know my blog exists. But if this post helps me find another new story that I can come to love, I'm all for it.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 677 Comments 4
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    tis true, tis true. Maybe we should start incorporating bearded dragons as plot twists! haha
  2. Old Comment
    Audiences can be fickle. It doesn't take much to entertain the masses. Originality aside, I agree though. There are some stories where I just have to wonder "what is the point?" when there is clearly no attempt at anything remotely cohesive. It's as if they impressed themselves so much with their imagination that they were convinced they could write an amazing story then couldn't keep their hands off their dick long enough to add punctuation, complete whole sentences, or write anything worth reading.

Maybe some of us just have higher standards than most. Erotic literature or not, it's still an artform and you're still telling a story. It's kind of insulting to not even try.
  3. Old Comment
    To elaborate, a lot of what people write just isn't believable. Creating another world is fine - one of my favorite e-lits ever is Synthetic originally just titled Renee that started on 7chan - but people being voluntarily gangraped or doing anything anyone asks of them because someone *gasp* has one naughty photo of them might be stretching reality a bit too far. I tend to prefer a certain amount of realism over slap-you-in-the-face plot devices.

With that said, what we're writing here is tapping into people's fantasies. So people are willing to suspend their disbelief to pursue that. My perspective is why should they have to?
  4. Old Comment
    Wow, and now I'm blushing. Though I know that English isn't everyone's mother tongue on GD (myself included, by the way) it annoys me to no end when I see stories that lack even basic writing skills such as capitalization and at least minimally well-placed punctuation. I think that your suggestions to use the editor section and to ask for help from friends and fellow writers to be very good advice indeed!
    Posted 04-18-2013 at 10:08 AM by shynessincarnate shynessincarnate is offline